Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which MX5 gearbox for a Duratec?
John G

posted on 20/11/19 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Which MX5 gearbox for a Duratec?

Having read a few threads on the MX5 mkIII gearbox, can anyone advise on the difference between the 1.8 bad 2.0 litre engine gearbox? Ratios strength etc.
Regards,Jon

sdh2903

posted on 20/11/19 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Needs to be a 5 speed. It's the same box in the 1.8 and 2.0. Designated the mk3 NC gearbox and the box is an N7 gearbox.

Ratios and more info here

http://www.roadster.blog/2013/07/roadster-transmission-drivetrain.html?m=1

peter030371

posted on 20/11/19 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I thought opinion was go for the 6 speed but don't bother using 1st. If 1st is 3.something with a duratec in a light weight car it's no use unless you are towing with it
sdh2903

posted on 20/11/19 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had the 5 speed mated to a 2.0 ecoboost and a 3.62 diff and the 1st gear was absolutely fine, infact its a very well matched box to a duratec/ecoboost. the long first versions of the type 9 start at 2.98 so its hardly a million miles away, and the mazda box is around 1500 quid cheaper.

The 6 speed is bigger therefore slightly heavier, more expensive and not as strong as the 5 speed.

Ive also never been a fan of using compromised gear boxes and missing out 1st.

peter030371

posted on 21/11/19 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just checked and I was thinking of the RX8 6 speed box, seems others have used this as a '5 speed' box as again 1st is not a suitable ratio.

Without knowing your tyre sizes and diff ratios plus your intended use (road, track or mix of both) its difficult to say 100% what will suit you only you can work that out

For your information I have a road legal but track focused Striker with a Duratec engine producing 189bhp on the rolling road. My gearbox is a type 9 with 2.39/1.56/1.26/1.00/0.87 ratios and a 3.92 diff. Tyres are 205/60/13 and it is just fine driving it in traffic and pulling away.

andyhaase1

posted on 28/1/20 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I built a MNR VORTX with a duratec and a Mark 3 mx5 1.8 box, with a 3.62 sierra diff. I got it iva'd and on the road back end of 2019. I've done probably 400 miles so far, road only, and its quite high geared, but has enough power to overcome it. The guy who mapped it said it was geared for 140mph top end, I built it for trackdays, so i might find it needs a lower final drive diff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.