Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting 13 inch wheels to MGB Axle
John Bonnett

posted on 6/12/19 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting 13 inch wheels to MGB Axle

I just wondered if this is possible and indeed if anyone has done it . Clearance looks a tad tight.
cliftyhanger

posted on 7/12/19 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/what-13-in-wheels-will-work-on-an-mgb.1774199/

Suggests it is possible. Steel wheels may be easier to fit and the actual wheel type may affect it too.
(on my spitfire rear some 13" steel wheels clear OK, but some have dome head rivets that catch the caliper. Sorted by fitting 14" wheels)

John Bonnett

posted on 7/12/19 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/what-13-in-wheels-will-work-on-an-mgb.1774199/

Suggests it is possible. Steel wheels may be easier to fit and the actual wheel type may affect it too.
(on my spitfire rear some 13" steel wheels clear OK, but some have dome head rivets that catch the caliper. Sorted by fitting 14" wheels)

Thank you Clive. Looking at the clearance on my own MGB the drums are very close but a spacer or stud adaptor would move a 13" wheel out sufficiently I think but the handbrake lever would need modifying because that is very close even to the 14" wheel. With the chassis constraints and now the wheels the ride height is getting ever higher which I'm desperately trying to avoid. Not easy building a special is it?

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/12/19 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
I guess you have played with tyre profile options? (or at least used one of the calclators) and want to avoid super-low profile tyres?

But there is a certain law about modifying anything.... that of unintended consequences

John Bonnett

posted on 8/12/19 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I guess you have played with tyre profile options? (or at least used one of the calclators) and want to avoid super-low profile tyres?

But there is a certain law about modifying anything.... that of unintended consequences

I have Clive and changing from the intended 155 80 13 to 185 60 14 gives a slight reduction in the overall diameter and there is a very good selection of tyres available in that size. I believe the MX5 uses that size. So it looks like it will be 14 inch wheels.

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/12/19 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, I run 185 60 14 on the spitfire. Amazingly good choice, and also cheap compared to other sizes. Been very happy with my Michelin Crossclimates for all round use, autosolos/trackdays and european touring....
John Bonnett

posted on 8/12/19 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes, I run 185 60 14 on the spitfire. Amazingly good choice, and also cheap compared to other sizes. Been very happy with my Michelin Crossclimates for all round use, autosolos/trackdays and european touring....

Decision made then Clive. Thank you. Have you found a 14 inch wheel with the Triumph stud pattern or do you use wheel adaptors?

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/12/19 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have a set of minilights, and a set of 80's multispokes (that need a refurb)
Also got a set of 14" steels, from a montego/maestro or indeed mgf spare wheels.

They are available new from midland wheels and others.
With the MGB stud pattern there will be a huge choice, same as a few other manufacturers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.