Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My old locost has come home !!
Deckman001

posted on 3/8/20 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve, to be honest I've no idea. They don't look very high pressurised, possibly a little low. So putting upto a full load 30psi might make it better then just for the IVA ?

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 24/8/20 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just an update.

I gave up with the fuel sender as it was very dodgy so a direct replacement is now fitted and i now have a fully working dash once again and seeing i have half a tank is a nice feeling.

Speedo is definitely too high, so have found instructions online to calibrate my unit so I just need to get out in it and drive a set mile and it should then be perfect.

Ball joint cover has been replaced with a correctly sized unit and that's the last bit to do before the test as far as I can see.

So i bit the bullet and applied on line for the test so just waiting for then to reply asking for the money and setting a date or setting up the remote test preferred by me if they can.

I keep going out to the garage and can't think of anything else that is needed, maybe a need a few more fresh eyes looking over it before I get it tested ?

James

posted on 24/8/20 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Chuck a bunch of photos up to get some help on projections etc.

How is it for decibels/emissions etc- things a little difficult to help with via photo! ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Deckman001

posted on 24/8/20 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well, this is how the front looks Description
Description

and this the sides Description
Description

and from across the road Description
Description

and the back end doesn't have any great detail pics yet
But it is now covered and the chassis and wishbones have been repainted so looks a lot tidier

Jason

[Edited on 24/8/20 by Deckman001]

James

posted on 25/8/20 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Bit hard to see the detail mate.

Might be worth starting a fresh thread when you've got a bunch of detailed photos (assuming you want the collective to give it the once over).

Not seeing a side indicator though? Or is it the black circle a little behind the front wheel?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Deckman001

posted on 25/8/20 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry about the small pics, Side repeaters are front cycle wing mounted as pre SVA ones were fitted where the black blind grommets are now fitted.
IVA application has just been rejected stating no accompanying documents received !! Bloomin online form didn't let me include them when i applied !!

At least they haven't charged me for that attempt though so will try again when i get a bit of time.
Although I might try and sort the lack of engine number issue before i try again.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 31/8/20 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well another update, Just been out to the garage and had another look around to make sure it's ready, hoovered it out and cleaned it up a bit.
Checked the lights, all work correctly
Engine started first turn of the key
Ran it up to temp and waiting for fan to kick in, which it did perfectly
Cleaned up the potentially leaking sump, and checked it with a clean rag after getting up to temp and after a few fan kick ins, no new oil on the sump
Gave it a go to drive it out of the garage, fail yet again

Will need a few more scaffold boards for easy access to get it down the ramp, at least it's not steal-able at the moment !!

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 9/9/20 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
So, my application failed again, this time though they gave a reason.

1. Please can you provide the vehicles gross weight. D'oh what an over sight by me 500kgs ?

2. Please can you provide a completed amateur build declaration (IVA 4). I bought a part rolling chassis over 14 years ago and built it up from there, no records are available now, how can i get round what they want ?

3. Please can you provide copies of receipts for major parts in your name. again, no major receipts apart from ebay and such sites, will they do ?, am trying to get the car sale receipt to me from who i sold it to over ten years ago but it's proving difficult.

Jason

steve m

posted on 9/9/20 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure i sold you the engine gear box, back axle, all the whishbones, seatbelts, etc etc

You must of lost the reciept

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 9/9/20 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Im sure i sold you the engine gear box, back axle, all the whishbones, seatbelts, etc etc

You must of lost the reciept

steve

Yes you did, but it was roughly 13 years ago after i bought the chassis from a guy in Banbury, any chance you can write me up another receipt ?

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 11/9/20 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, some receipts added along with the story of the build and sale and buy back so fingers crossed, another ten day wait will get me a test to fail at :-)

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 12/10/20 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well, The last application has passed so I have a test date now booked !!

Although they just cancelled that date

But then gave me another date, 28hrs earlier then the first date !!!!!

Wish me luck, am hoping for a small list of fail items, as I've not built a car before so I do expect that some bits aren't right.

The last time i was able to put trade plates on it and get a little drive out , it felt so good I couldn't stop smiling and I got lots of smiles and waves from people i didn't know !!

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 18/10/20 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Well, the test went better than expected. Even though i knew I'd fail on some points due to not knowing much about what was needed, I passed quite a few areas I had expected to fail in and failed in some i expected to pass in so over all it was a good day.
I think I have a bout 26 fails, and have completed 15 already. 4 more to be done this next week and I think by the end of a few weeks all I'll have left to do is sort the headlights and engine emissions, plus the missing self centreing on one side.

Engine is a 1600 x/flow with spark rite Stealth electronic distributor, coil and leads, new plugs BPR6ES and recently timed by an mot man. The carbs are GSXR600 SRAD on a Bogg Bros manifold.
CO passed with 4.50 max actual V 0.24 PASS
HC ppm 1200 max actual 1388 FAIL

If anyone knows how best to reduce the mixture on these carbs and it only seams to have idle jets that need cleaning when it won't idle and fixed main jets so am slightly at a loss the resolve this with the carbs ?

Self centreing, should be easy to resolve by getting the car back on to a laser level set up now that i have taken the wishbones of and upset all the pre set up data.

What is really nice though is the fact that on the fail form, it says I can drive the car to a pre-arranged booked in appointment to fix fail issues.
Jason

Deckman001

posted on 20/11/20 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just another update, I've nearly finished all the fails I could sort, new headlights and brackets being fitted tomorrow along with the manufacturers plate being fitted, and then its just some welding, steering and suspension set up ready for the self centring and emissions to make the engine run a bit richer.

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 20/11/20 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would start with the basics , check and adjust the valve clearances ( tight valves will cause high HCs and also will give a low CO, cause stalling, lack of power and poor starting) make sure you use the correct settings for the cam in your engine, usually with the engine cold . Leaking valve stem oil seals and worn rings/ pistons/bores will cause high HCs . Worth carrying out a compression test , dry and wet . Timing can and will have an effect on emissions, unless you know for certain the correct setting has been used. Vacuum advance unit should be tested as should centrifugal advance . Only after checking and adjusting all the above check and adjust the carbs , balance and mixture , I have had a weak mixture cause high HCs .
Deckman001

posted on 22/11/20 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that and I’ve passed it onto the guy who may be trying to sort the emissions this week. So I mounted the headlights and wired them up, all’s good there. Mounted the manufacturers plate as well as the brake reservoir and no leaks visible,( will give that one a week to prove itself)
I have also raised the needle on my bike carbs in anticipation of the emissions testing and restarted the engine on second turn of the key. So all’s good as far as I can tell.

At the moment I only get to the car each Saturday morning due to working daft hours each day so incompatible with the garage where the car is now situated on a ramp for fantastic underneath access.

So all in all, I think I just need to get the welding done, headlights set up, tracking sorted for self centering and the emissions for c/o and h/c. so not a massive list to get done and he says he'll try and get those last bits done this next week.

[Edited on 22/11/20 by Deckman001]

[Edited on 23/11/20 by Deckman001]

Deckman001

posted on 25/11/20 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, Well I have found out why my emissions were so bad, it was running on only 3.25 cylinders ! as well as needing the carbs to be re-jetted.
So carbs sorted, and fired it up and c/o was ok but hcc was way over the limit. So we checked the sparks thinking one was bad and the back cylinder was running a lot cooler. checked the plug, very wet so did a non firing pressure test and was fantastic readings , then confused, we did a firing pressure test and low and behold a dodgy cylinder showed itself. So head is going to come off over the next day or so to get a look at the valves and seats, and depending on results, I might bite the bullet and get new hardened valve seats fitted so that I can then fill up with unleaded, but this will all depend on the head removal results.

Rusty, you were spot on, well done matey !!

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 25/11/20 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
At least you have found the cause of the problem , it might be worth checking the valves and seats then lapping the valves in if you intend modifying the engine at a later date rather than fitting unleaded seats now?
rusty nuts

posted on 26/11/20 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, have you checked how far each valve is actually opening? I’ve known camshaft lobes to wear causing problems
Deckman001

posted on 26/11/20 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah at least i'm heading in the right direction now, We didn't check the opening measurement, I just accepted the issue and i stripped the head off, it looks like each of the exhaust valves had made contact with the pistons, and number 4 was sat level with the head while all the other three were about 1-2mm high so there was definitely a problem waiting to happen there.

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 26/11/20 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Even with 1300 pistons for high compression and a performance cam I don’t have any problems with valve/piston clearances . Has your engine been modified and not had the valve to piston clearances checked? It is possible to machine valve pockets in the pistons . Another possible problem could be valve timing, or extremely tight valve clearances.When I rebuilt my engine I set the cam timing very carefully to the manufacturers settings before refitting the head , then I used some thick solder wire through each plug hole under each valve in turn while rotating the crank to test for clearance . Some people use plasticine but I was being lazy not wanting to remove the head if I didn’t need to . .
Deckman001

posted on 26/11/20 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
The internals look std to me and the other mechanic looking at them so the only part not checked now is the cam. I'll try and get a lift measurement from it to see if that is std too.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 30/11/20 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I popped into the garage this afternoon to paint the newly welded headlight brackets, only to get the news I feared. The engine is in serious trouble. The head needs serious work, the bearings look very tired so the crank may need a regrind and the can is shot so I'll need a new one of them along with new followers, and while the pistons are out I might as well get new rings for them too.
so trying to look on the bright side, I did struggle to find one, At least the engine should be nice and strong, fairly std, but with new internals and bearings and seals, also I'll be able to put unleaded straight in without more issues.

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 30/11/20 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Now might be the ideal time to uprate the engine ? If the bores and pistons are worn maybe a rebore with 1300 pistons to increase compression , a performance cam kit correctly timed if you need a new cam and a modified head etc
Deckman001

posted on 30/11/20 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, but I was trying to keep the costs down, but now the engine refurbishment will cost upto £1k.
For head repairs, refurbishment £500
New cam, £200 at least
Pistons need skimming to prevent the exhaust valve hitting them again.
Then it's bearings, rings and seals.
I'll be keeping the costs as low as possible to rebuilding it myself with guidance from the garage boss.

I had seen an upgraded head at £680, but thats just more money just before xmas that I can't avoid costs, so I can't get the upgrades at the moment.

Jason

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.