Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Flexble exhaust pipe?
number-1

posted on 29/1/20 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Flexble exhaust pipe?

Has anyone had any dealings with Flexible exhaust pipe? Not the small 5 or 6 inch long ones, but ones of nearer half a meter possibly up to a meter.

I will try and link what i am talking about....

ebay link

The plan is for a short term fix....i want to use it as intercooler pipes from the supercharger and then into the TB and intake plenum to get the car up and running until i can get it to someone who can fab a proper system out of Ali.

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 29/1/20 by number-1]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 29/1/20 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
a long time ago i remember a comment about them being good to fashion into a shape but not to have continual movement through them.

I'd also wonder how smooth the insides are and what impact that would have on the gas flow.

40inches

posted on 29/1/20 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have used it. It's impressive stuff, the id can be adjusted 3-4mm by twisting the pipe and if twisted onto the solid exaust
will seal with a Mikalor clamp. Still leak free after 3 years, the silencer is rubber mounted
Description
Description
Description
Description

I also used it for the front manifold (flexible engine mounts) to rigid fixed exhaust piping, not leaked yet.

[Edited on 29-1-20 by 40inches]

number-1

posted on 30/1/20 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies chaps

The inside of the tubing appears to be ridged but maybe 40inches can confirm this?

40inches

posted on 30/1/20 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Cheers for the replies chaps

The inside of the tubing appears to be ridged but maybe 40inches can confirm this?

The inside is the same as the outside, can't see that this is a problem, especially for forced induction

number-1

posted on 30/1/20 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Perfect. I will add it to my list of things to do. Did you get yours from Car builder solutions or somewhere else?
snapper

posted on 30/1/20 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
The flexible pipe should only be used for difficult joins where there is movement at one end such as the engine.
It’s better to have a ridged smooth pipe with no joins excepting the manifold or turbo to the fixed pipe.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

40inches

posted on 31/1/20 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Perfect. I will add it to my list of things to do. Did you get yours from Car builder solutions or somewhere else?

From CBS, may have been a bit cheaper from eBay but CBS provide an excellent service, never failed with next day delivery

theduck

posted on 31/1/20 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Every exhaust part, who were linked in the first post, are superb company to deal with. Excellent customer service and very competitive prices.
peter030371

posted on 31/1/20 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's a long time since I have touched this stuff but it won't hold any pressure
number-1

posted on 31/1/20 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah from reading up on the stuff today, they say....Polylock is interlocking helically wound strip. When a bend is applied to the polylock it loosens the lock between the joints which can make the polylock less air tight.

Maybe this wont work for me. Is there a way that people plan a route for intercooler pipes or is it all offer up and cut, offer up and cut???

Im sure ive seen circular yellow stuff somewhere that is used as a jig for angles etc but for the life of me cant remember where

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.