Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tow points on a Striker
peter030371

posted on 9/2/20 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Tow points on a Striker

I'm looking for some inspiration. I want to fit tow points to my IRS Striker as I start sprinting this year. I've lots of ideas but they tend to involve lots of heavy iron work. Anyone got any pictures of some neat solutions, particularly for the rear end?

[Edited on 9/2/20 by peter030371]

Memphis

posted on 9/2/20 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Most Speed event competitors just tow on the roll hoop.
peter030371

posted on 9/2/20 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Memphis
Most Speed event competitors just tow on the roll hoop.

I have seen this but I have a 3rd brake light on the roll hoop, any strap/chain over this will destroy it

bi22le

posted on 9/2/20 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't find any neat way on my car so I bought one of these. I don't need to carry it in the car, I would use it if my car looses power during a track day and I can't get it up onto my trailer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190474084311

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Rich J

posted on 10/2/20 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
These are the only "non-roll hoop" option that I've come across

Pretty sure some form of nose cone damage would be incurred with this front option

I do like bi22le's option though

peter030371

posted on 10/2/20 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I couldn't find any neat way on my car so I bought one of these. I don't need to carry it in the car, I would use it if my car looses power during a track day and I can't get it up onto my trailer.

I quite like that, will have to get me one of them for the day I have to winch the car onto the trailer

bi22le

posted on 10/2/20 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

I quite like that, will have to get me one of them for the day I have to winch the car onto the trailer

I have used it a couple.of times as my car is a non starter ATM. It works well and is quick to put on. It just about misses my nose cone too.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

peter030371

posted on 4/5/20 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
After lots of thought and feedback from various people I have decided the perfect answer does not exist so i stopped looking for it.

My idea for solid points front and rear were shelved. If you hit a solid point of the chassis at any speed the chassis is damaged. At least if a flexible strap damages bodywork whilst being towed its just body work. So I ordered two adjustable TRS two straps and got on with it.

I started out getting some plates cut from steel to clamp around the front and rear chassis rails. I used some spacers to allow me to bolt it all up tight without crushing the chassis tubes. The spacers also stop it twisting as they make it a snug fit around the chassis tubes. With suitable nuts and bolts they look like this off the car
Clamp Close
Clamp Close

I offered them up a few times and adjusted the length adding tie wraps to holds the excess material and double as fixings for heavy duty Velcro.
Velcro Tow
Velcro Tow

Front bolted in place without the nose cone'
Front Tow Fitted2
Front Tow Fitted2

With the nose cone plus folded out the way.
Front Tow Fitted
Front Tow Fitted

Rear fitted on the diff carrier.
Rear Tow Fitted
Rear Tow Fitted

Finally a few 'Tow' signs to help the marshals find them if ever needed
Nose label
Nose label

If needed both ends just pull down to release from the Velco and both extend out past the bodywork once pulled down. With any luck I will never need them

JimSpencer

posted on 4/5/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Very pretty - Lol
The Scruitineer will be happy.

The rescue crew invariably won't use them though, they'll use the roll hoop, given that it'll probably be up to it's axles in gravel at the time then pulling it from the hoop is the way it'll get done.. as that will often see you pulled backwards your light should still be ok..
Been there, done that.. once or twice...

If you're still with it, then using the bit of the hoop above your head so it doesn't trash your light will work ok when they then tow you back to the pits.. assuming it'll tow etc etc

Though Seriously
&
To be very fair, you'd be amazed how infrequently you see cars get properly biffed.
So I wouldn't worry about it, keep the scruitineers happy and then simply forget about it, if the worst does happen then a bit of damaged fibreglass, lights etc etc are all fixable as long as your OK at the time.

Where are you planning to get out there? (as and when we're allowed that is!)

peter030371

posted on 4/5/20 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer

I was going to start with the Javelin series. I had entered this years championship but obviously that is all over now. If they go ahead in the summer I will probably do one or maybe two events as a toe in the water for next year.

From what I can see a 200ishBHP Striker is going to be put in the same class as a Caterham 620R if I look at any Motorsport UK events Don't get me wrong I like a bit of competition but I might as well reverse around the course for all the good it will do me because I will never beat one of them anyway.

steve m

posted on 4/5/20 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
On my old locost I had an exhaust clamp, as per the attached ebay link
I run a die over the treads to make them about 30 mm long
drilled two 10mm holes in the bottom rail, cut some stainless tube 10mm x1mm wall x 25mm long
Put them in the bottom rail holes, and they were tight enough to stay there
put the nuts and penney washer on the clamps and through the holes, and two 8mm locknuts and penny washer on the other end

My old locost was towed many times with this method, and never failed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-U-Bolt-Exhaust-Clamps-Heavy-Duty-Clamp-with-Nuts-All-Sizes-28-130mm/252487878576?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item 3ac97347b0:m:m9yefeb3Ytry705QvtNL9IQ&enc=AQAEAAACYIQvEcHUrT7nmUC3yY5qbPyaBN1nJEDYW8MyypsJPgXKBMsgxzC%2B4AcufPIrJqKaABHjY%2B0%2BQvrScos9aRdwEnfrFp3 k%2FRtrbk7XbTL0%2BVb85VaFZs75Cl%2Fu%2FKNJ29ZmFeNBDoHsPFotk3o%2F7s6YIJB13S3uAgx5cEpQMeB9eP%2B%2Bv3Vi3rq8%2B4dCY1xj0F40D5dMMiiIpt%2BIYnXy%2F9AxuPYQNCL9% 2Bc6NNk0ojgHFZyulOiauNLFL4f6F4LJH2puIB%2FTOARnYerrFueH7B08566Os%2FJNyKXcMxAKeMWDSN%2BKtzeDAEXh2MayldN5Z2IAidpSi4NF41GM8Uu5S8s7rEw1aKI2nEcpDNJJwN9HnJtt HvHmcpTlBic23zZAl50ZARggPb%2BxEoTFkEPDy3kqiBKjlWKmlayVG20qZUW%2FQx6y4DBMQwk4zhcyNcOzURPgTtrk%2Bv5G8fNds6o0brCw2T4XKWjoiz%2BM9VhmOTK%2BjO5ejbnMZ0e7dAFk uOJNsZvH9OWVBzh8mCANM8kpJ510cAoXUxXDoaIqQJqsLyzT7ibGbmI6B4dXgxG4igovJv%2Fy4g1q%2Figm2TDI8VKaaYCIqziaWNeUJt%2FwKRVDrKydyILw5Vx1kvaEVxLXxWmRkoDirnEtjOy6 j5g9NPncKvvWGkdwFiaFuCLr%2FynQVAEy2ew4mCDpZ3Uc6k3%2B5ifDBMwbk6725UkjpLobMy7zHSGAntM%2FcpRijyQn%2BpmwOEm5smgDhxxBP%2BqYiG67Lg%2FuROIIgAawm7WVZ49XdvnVZi 8P87A04BJe%2BWvhWdgJIMdDO8WhP&checksum=252487878576ef4ef5f232c2445eb2b4ee1322e466ad

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jeffw

posted on 4/5/20 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I was going to start with the Javelin series. I had entered this years championship but obviously that is all over now. If they go ahead in the summer I will probably do one or maybe two events as a toe in the water for next year.

From what I can see a 200ishBHP Striker is going to be put in the same class as a Caterham 620R if I look at any Motorsport UK events Don't get me wrong I like a bit of competition but I might as well reverse around the course for all the good it will do me because I will never beat one of them anyway.

The 620R Caterhams I've seen while competing have always been slower than you would expect, it is the quick Westfields which you need to look for.

bi22le

posted on 4/5/20 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:
quote:

The 620R Caterhams I've seen while competing have always been slower than you would expect, it is the quick Westfields which you need to look for.

Oh well that's ok then, if the 620R are out of your reach then don't worry. They get smashed by even faster Westfields!!!

JimSpencer

posted on 5/5/20 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

The classes vary depending on what level the meeting is, 'National' rounds have different classes from 'Interclub', at the former it's normally Up to 2L and Over, Interclub - there are regional variations around up to 1.7, 1.7 & Over (and sometimes the '& Over' is split again)

But you'll find the actual times between the classes are remarkably small, it's quite normal for a 1600 to be quicker than the larger engine class, several of the venue class records reflect that - and some of them (Class 2A - up to 1700cc road going 'kits & locaterfields' ) are still set by a Striker too - and the last time I ran it seriously was 2011

It's all about You to start off with, it'll take you a while to get the most out of yourself, then it's all about the car's handling.
Power is well down the list as long as you have 'Some', and circa 200 will be plenty.. (it's circa 20 more than I ran in mine)

Once you're up to speed, then getting the car to really work is where you can make the biggest Investment - and the good bit about that is the 'Investment' is little money but a chunk of time..
Getting You to work and then the Car to handle is way cheaper then throwing horsepower at it..

My motorsport motto has always been; - 'keep the oily bits as simple as possible, make it handle right and drive it properly'.
Makes for Cheap(ish..), Competitive, Club motorsport - or it does for me.

HTH

peter030371

posted on 5/5/20 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The classes vary depending on what level the meeting is, 'National' rounds have different classes from 'Interclub', at the former it's normally Up to 2L and Over, Interclub - there are regional variations around up to 1.7, 1.7 & Over (and sometimes the '& Over' is split again)

But you'll find the actual times between the classes are remarkably small, it's quite normal for a 1600 to be quicker than the larger engine class, several of the venue class records reflect that - and some of them (Class 2A - up to 1700cc road going 'kits & locaterfields' ) are still set by a Striker too - and the last time I ran it seriously was 2011

It's all about You to start off with, it'll take you a while to get the most out of yourself, then it's all about the car's handling.
Power is well down the list as long as you have 'Some', and circa 200 will be plenty.. (it's circa 20 more than I ran in mine)

Once you're up to speed, then getting the car to really work is where you can make the biggest Investment - and the good bit about that is the 'Investment' is little money but a chunk of time..
Getting You to work and then the Car to handle is way cheaper then throwing horsepower at it..

My motorsport motto has always been; - 'keep the oily bits as simple as possible, make it handle right and drive it properly'.
Makes for Cheap(ish..), Competitive, Club motorsport - or it does for me.

HTH

Looking at some of the local sprints I have seen a few variations in class structure and its all a bit confusing to an 'outsider'. The Javelin series is a relatively cheap way to get started although they are all a trek from down south but then Javelin are based up north so they are doing it to suit them which I understand.

I have a 2lt Duratec and don't want to really change it. I have just built the car with this engine as that is what I wanted to use but I also don't want to spend silly money on the engine which is currently almost as it came out of the Fiesta ST150. If this engine goes 'pop' I can get a scrapyard engine and swap over the sump, injection and flywheel and off I go again

I am 100% aware that in terms of better times it's all about me learning how to drive fast first. I went on a tuition day in it at the start of March which I learn a lot from. The same amount of money spent on the car would not have made any difference really

JimSpencer

posted on 5/5/20 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Looking at some of the local sprints I have seen a few variations in class structure and its all a bit confusing to an 'outsider'. The Javelin series is a relatively cheap way to get started although they are all a trek from down south but then Javelin are based up north so they are doing it to suit them which I understand.

I have a 2lt Duratec and don't want to really change it. I have just built the car with this engine as that is what I wanted to use but I also don't want to spend silly money on the engine which is currently almost as it came out of the Fiesta ST150. If this engine goes 'pop' I can get a scrapyard engine and swap over the sump, injection and flywheel and off I go again

I am 100% aware that in terms of better times it's all about me learning how to drive fast first. I went on a tuition day in it at the start of March which I learn a lot from. The same amount of money spent on the car would not have made any difference really

Hi

It's odd, the classes and how it works looks really weird until you're in it, once you've done a couple of entries it'll make sense. However as you've figured out the Javelin series is a very good way in, less procedure to get your head round and plenty of track time too.

Engine choice sounds ideal to me as it's basically what I do - Lol - a stock ish (breathed upon cylinder head) on a stock bottom end (just rod bolts) and sump etc - Keep it simple and cheap, if and when it goes pear shaped it's then a bad day rather than a ruinous one..

You'll have loads of fun with your Striker, IMHO bang for buck they're right at the top of the tree.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.