Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5pw R1 oil pressure take off - alternatives to tapping the oil cooler bolt
JekRankin

posted on 31/3/20 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
5pw R1 oil pressure take off - alternatives to tapping the oil cooler bolt

As per the title, really, is there a good method for taking oil pressure from an 03 R1 engine that doesn't involve tapping the oil pressure bolt?

Using the tapped bolt, the fitting runs pretty close to the chassis rail, and there's not much wall thickness to get a decent thread engagement.

A couple of options I'm considering:

- Oil filter sandwich plate, although this would need to be pretty low profile, otherwise I won't be able to remove the filter without fouling the chassis.
- A custom oil cooler bolt. Wouldn't be too difficult to get one machined with an outlet port positioned in a nice orientation. This would be expensive, however.

Any other solutions?

Jek

adithorp

posted on 31/3/20 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think those are your only options on the 5pw. There's no easily accessible oil gallery like on the later motors.

Would you have more space for a capillary tube in the cooler bolt, going to a remote sensor? The sensors can be killed by vibration so that would cure that as well.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JekRankin

posted on 31/3/20 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's actually the fitting for the capillary tube that runs close to the chassis. Even with a 90deg elbow on it, it comes a bit close to the chassis rail for comfort.

I actually quite like the CNC oil cooler bolt idea. I'll maybe draw one up and get some quotes.

Jek

CosKev3

posted on 1/4/20 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
How much space do you have?

I ditched the modine,fitted a sandwich plate and ran a air/oil cooler on my 5JJ.
Welded a fitting to the end of the sandwhich plate cap for my turbo oil feed.

Description
Description

[Edited on 1/4/20 by CosKev3]

hobbsy

posted on 1/4/20 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
As you know Adi I had the same problem and was always worried about the fitting leaking / shearing / coming undone as there's not enough meat in it plus it's proximity to the chassis (in Jim's car he had bags of room)

I considered a remote oil filter setup to achieve similar to CosKev so that's another option for Jek if he doesn't want to bin the oil/water exchanger etc. So oil filter would've remote and get a pressure feed along the way.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.