Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb engines and IVA
frozennorth

posted on 27/4/20 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Carb engines and IVA

I've heard that it can be pretty difficult to get post - 1995 carb. engines to pass the current emissions standards required for the IVA; which is a bit of a nuisance, as I intend to use a 1999 Fireblade engine in my newbuild. Does anyone have any experience of this? I don't mind fitting a cat if necessary, or maybe some other mods..
SJ

posted on 28/4/20 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that it is hard but can be done, but using tricks like air bleed valves to get the emissions low enough.
flak monkey

posted on 28/4/20 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
It's made harder with bike engines as they were never designed to meet car emissions standards. Bikes always have had a higher limit than cars, and even now its still 4.5%CO and visual only. No HC test.

For post Aug '95 cars (until 2002) it is 0.5% CO at idle or 0.3% CO and 200ppm HC at 2500-3000rpm.

Basically it means a CAT will be required. But you are ultimately trying to get an engine to pass a test it wasn't designed to - the cam profiles in bike engines don't help either.

That said, it's not impossible, it's just not simple.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

russbost

posted on 28/4/20 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a new build why use an engine which is less than ideal in a kitcar anyway in a situation that has the potential to cause a ton of grief? If it's just because you already have the engine, then I would suggest flog it & buy something more suitable like the 89/90 ZX10 or slightly later ZZR1100 engine, far better in a car than the blade & won't need to pass CAT emissions.

Alternatively put the money towards a later injected bike engine which can be relatively easily thro' the test with a power commander & a CAT

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
frozennorth

posted on 28/4/20 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I don't think I will continue with the Fireblade engine: it's a pity. I last used it in one of my hillclimb cars and it's a cracker: probably best used again in another hillclimber. Anyway, I'm going to switch to a Hayabusa as I have one to hand and I'm familiar with them, having used one in the past with good results. Should be good in a road car...
russbost

posted on 29/4/20 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Is this going into a 7 style vehicle, ie engine longitudinal? If so from what I've heard the 'Busa needs an accusump even for road use & for serious track use you'd need to dry sump, there are also various baffled or swinging pickup sumps available

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
frozennorth

posted on 29/4/20 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
It's going into a Tiger Avon; I fitted one in a Stuart Taylor Phoenix hill climber / sprinter before, and made my own sump and swinging pickup; combined with a bit of baffling and an accusump it worked fine, and I will do the same again with this one. Cheers, John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.