Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: budget / emergency dial gauge (Lego)
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 5/5/20 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
budget / emergency dial gauge (Lego)

So I couldn't shake the concern of messed up calculating tdc. I don't have a dial gauge so had shoved a bit of copper pipe down plug #1 & watched it move as I rotated the crank. Marking where it stopped and started moving. Tdc being in the middle.

We'll as I couldn't shake this I thought I need to make my own dial gauge. 20 minutes with the technical Lego and.....

Lego dial
Lego dial

Worked perfectly, ended up with a weight on the base so I was sure it wouldn't fall off but in 2 minutes I proved I had tdc perfect. Now why aren't my kids interested in doing Lego with me?

steve m

posted on 5/5/20 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Boys and there toys ??

I use and old spark plug with the ceramic smashed or drilled out with a rod with the end rounded off so it slides across the piston better

doesn't matter how you do it, as long as the result comes out that you want

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 5/5/20 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic work!

Lego is truly a great thing.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/5/20 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve also used an old spark plug at times , broke out the ceramic and removed the electrodes then welding in an old bolt. Screwed into the plug hole and slowly turned the engine over until the piston hit the bolt, marked the crank pulley then rotated the engine backwards marked the pulley again the measured between the two marks and divided by 2 gives an accurate TDC
daviep

posted on 5/5/20 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I’ve also used an old spark plug at times , broke out the ceramic and removed the electrodes then welding in an old bolt. Screwed into the plug hole and slowly turned the engine over until the piston hit the bolt, marked the crank pulley then rotated the engine backwards marked the pulley again the measured between the two marks and divided by 2 gives an accurate TDC

+1

No need to try and judge when movement has stopped, much simpler / more reliable method.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.