Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weather, ooh the irony
02GF74

posted on 19/5/20 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Weather, ooh the irony

I cycle to work so experience first hand the effects of the weather. Last year, from october to March this year it rained almost every day, I remember it well due to the mud accumulated on my bike. Ad an aside, during that time I ws only in the rain a handful of times, they used to say that on average you can expect 14 days a year to be rained on, I guess due to the small window where you are out.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed the irony in having absolutely fantastic weather during lock down but not being allowed to go out and enjoy it fully? I've never known such a long continuous period of sunshine and no rain. As a consequence my water butt had run dry, I'm eagerly waiting for Thursday when there is rain predicted.

I can tell you now, that as soon as lock down end, the weather will turn to shit. You read it here first.

SJ

posted on 19/5/20 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, it's amazing. I've been out on my bike at 630 ish most mornings since lock-down and I think the roads have only been wet once!

I'm normally getting the kids up / heading off somewhere in the UK early or getting to airports at stupid hours so the ability to consistently ride every day has been great.

Deckman001

posted on 19/5/20 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
One benefit that I've seen is the fact that I've now got the tan that would have taken me two weeks in Turkey to get

Jason

02GF74

posted on 19/5/20 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
One benefit that I've seen is the fact that I've now got the tan that would have taken me two weeks in Turkey to get

Eat some rancid prawns for the full holiday food poisoning experience.

jps

posted on 19/5/20 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say that over here in North East Essex this weather isn't actually that unusual. Having spent my first 21 years in Yorkshire, it feels like it never rains over here anyway...

I'd agree about the bike commuting experience - it's very rare (probably 2 or 3 times a year) that I get an absolute soaking on the way to work, but i ride daily. 2 days a week I take my son in on the back of my bike so I can drop him at the nursery (at work). We went through the whole winter this year without any problem (in the past theres been the odd taxi when its really cold).

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/20 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah me and my mates have stacks of RC planes just sitting there ready to go we've spent all winter preparing plus memberships paid back in December after last years pathetic conditions for most of the year now sitting here looking out the window

Fortunately I've been out on the trike masses have been looking at a simple canopy to use when it does rain, like one of these -

and you get ones that extend a clear screen past you feet too

[Edited on 19/5/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 19/5/20 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'd say that over here in North East Essex this weather isn't actually that unusual. Having spent my first 21 years in Yorkshire, it feels like it never rains over here anyway...

I can empathise there! Weather is so much better in Hertfordshire than South Yorks.

Deckman001

posted on 19/5/20 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001

Eat some rancid prawns for the full holiday food poisoning experience.

Ha ha, thankfully I've never had any food poisoning issues while in Kalkan

Jason

adithorp

posted on 19/5/20 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
It would have made lockdown pretty miserable if it had been a wet spring.

I've been getting the miles in cycling since getting over covid/not-covid in March. Since 10 April I've done 58hrs (close to 900 mike's). Back at work from yesterday, so that's the end of weekday rides.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/20 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Our part of the world (South Suffolk/North Essex) is classified geographically as 'semi-desert', IIRC. The average annual rainfall in inches is in the low 20's. Bit of a shock when I first moved up from South Wales, as annual rainfall there was 40+ inches p.a. It can be 'king cold in winter round here though, with little shelter from the North Sea weather. When I used to commute from Manningtree station the north-easterlies used to blow straight up the estuary and across the station platform - the last land that wind would have seen was probably Norway,,,

Getting back to irony about the weather - how many bank holidays were rainy and miserable when we weren't locked down? And how marvellous was the weather for this last one? And the forecast for next week also looks good...

rusty nuts

posted on 19/5/20 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing worse than a north easterly blowing straight up the estuary!
David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/20 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
It's worse up the Khyber Pass!

02GF74

posted on 29/5/20 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
From BBC, see, I told you.

A bit of rain forecast here on Thursday and Friday but I'll bet, as happened already, the closer we get to the end of next week, the forecast will change to no rain.

quote:
The UK has experienced its sunniest spring since records began in 1929, the Met Office has said.

It is also set to be the driest May on record for some parts of UK, including the driest in England for 124 years.

posted on 30/5/20 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Nothing worse than a north easterly blowing straight up the estuary!

Or as Dennis from Grunty Fen would say,

"When the wind blows off the Fen it will blow you there and back again."

I do miss those chats between Dennis and Mr South.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.