Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat height vs Screen Height
ArAKern

posted on 20/5/20 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Seat height vs Screen Height

Hello et All

So how effective is the STD aeroscreen?

The car is fitted with Odyssey seats with the drivers side on adjustable rails but the bodywork is raised by about 25mm.
when driving I can feel the wind hitting my forehead I am not exactly tall 5' 9" is this normal of should it be clearing my head altogether?

If no has anybody fitted an extended screen?

Thanks
Giles

adithorp

posted on 20/5/20 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Is there s standard height?

I've got full screen do no direct experience but I know a couple of guys who tried quite high aeroscreens (enough do they looked through them. They found, in practice, they had to trim them down so they looked over them. In any rain they couldn't see. One then fitted an L- shape trim along the top edge (pointing forward). This disrupted the airflow giving less turbulance in the cockpit and ran any rain outward so not as much in his face off the screen.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

peter030371

posted on 21/5/20 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Is there s standard height?

I've got full screen do no direct experience but I know a couple of guys who tried quite high aeroscreens (enough do they looked through them. They found, in practice, they had to trim them down so they looked over them. In any rain they couldn't see. One then fitted an L- shape trim along the top edge (pointing forward). This disrupted the airflow giving less turbulance in the cockpit and ran any rain outward so not as much in his face off the screen.

Interesting, like a sort of gurney flap? I've been thinking how I could add a small upright to the top of my aeroscreen but it involves bonding which if it doesn't work will be a pain to return to how it is now.

To the OP I'm 6"2' and the airflow hits me full on, unless I drop down a foot nothing seems to help

ianhurley20

posted on 21/5/20 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
The aerodynamics of the 7 are interesting. Full screen alone and you get lots of buffetting, put on a half or full door and buffeting stops. In rain when your front wheel goes through a puddle of water you end up wearing it, half and full doors stop this by quite some margin as well.

peter030371

posted on 21/5/20 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
This shows my current aeroscreen and my half doors. Adding the half doors really did help with 'in-cab' buffering but no difference to my noggin.

door 2
door 2

At speeds above about 70ish I have to really 'pull' my head down to stop it being lifted (over 110 is a real battle but it I am normally looking for my next braking point so does not last long). I have JK seats with the single skin bum section hard on the floor plus leaning back as far as they can go.

A new helmet this winter with chin spoiler seems to help a little but track time has been limited to 25 miles so far this year

The car is currently Sorn but I will re-tax it in June and I want to try some temporary stuck on flaps on the aeroscreen to see if that helps or not if it does then I will make a more permanent job of fitting a flap to the aeroscreen.

andy350z

posted on 21/5/20 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted something similar to this Ebay Link, to my aeroscreen.

The one I have just clamps to the edge of the screen, and really helps push the air up over my helmet

yogibear1969

posted on 21/5/20 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArAKern
Hello et All

The car is fitted with Odyssey seats with the drivers side on adjustable rails but the bodywork is raised by about 25mm.
when driving I can feel the wind hitting my forehead I am not exactly tall 5' 9" is this normal of should it be clearing my head altogether?

If no has anybody fitted an extended screen?

Thanks
Giles

Which Car?
eDD

nick205

posted on 21/5/20 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
My MK Indy with a low screen fitted (not what I'd refer to as an aeroscreen). When driving I chose to wear a full face helmet to prevent risk of eye injury and reduce wind noise. I'm 5'10" and when seated in the car could see clear over the top of the top edge of the screen.

SJ

posted on 21/5/20 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have you heard the phrase chocolate teapot?

Mine made no difference. However a full screen PLUS side screens makes a massive difference. On it's own even a full screen isn't great.

steve m

posted on 21/5/20 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
No screen at all, was horrible, and I must of eaten a load of flies.
a small aroe screen was better, but about 20% better
A full screen, was much better, possibly 50% but the buffeting round the sides was annoying and marginally uncomfortable
and if it was wet, I got VERY wet
Full doors, as well as the screen made the driving really really nice comfortable, no buffeting and noise reduction as well, and no real need for a hood, as long as I was moving

However, I hated the doors, and rarely used them, as they looked horrible on my car, but later on, I made a drivers side small tonneau that really was nice to drive with, also with the passenger side one fitted with a big plastic zip down the middle,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nickm

posted on 21/5/20 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have a J15 which has a halfway aeroscreen/full screen and it works very well.
It pushs nearly all the air over my head and i look over the top but buffeting fm the side is virtually nil i believe due to the wraparound shape.
If you look at some pictures of the J15s you will see what i mean, could the same be achieved with the Phoenix ?

Nick M

adithorp

posted on 21/5/20 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
OPs profile says V8 Phoenix do I'm assuming that's what he's talking about.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/5/20 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Rain X works great for keeping these screens clear so you can hide behind them
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
peter030371

posted on 22/5/20 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I have been intrigued for the last few years why some F1 cars have a tiny perspex screen with a very strange multi-triangle shape. Some of the teams change the design between circuits.

Halo
Halo

You can just make it out on the above image. This must be to disrupt the airflow in some way but why disruptive it here? I don't think they ever had them before Halo so maybe its linked with the pushing the airflow over rather than through the Halo?

When I get around to trying some cardboard deflectors on may are I was thinking of trying something like this but then I don't like to try things I don't understand

ArAKern

posted on 30/5/20 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry car is a Phoenix

I do not notice much side buffeting well not enough to want to do anything it
(Personally I notice it more in my girlfriend mini with all the windows down so even production cars have not sorted that issue
I can see how fitting side screens would help on MK/ 7's as raising windows on the mini eliminates it).

It is just the windflow hitting my forhead that bothers me on longer drives, my girlfriend is about 5' 8" and does not suffer the stream is deflected over her head.
I do not want to fit a full screen or add extension bits if possible but would be interested if anyone has fitted a slightly taller aero. But it does sound like vision becomes an issue...

Thanks for the help.

[Edited on 30/5/20 by ArAKern]

adithorp

posted on 30/5/20 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
The other option is lose the padded seats and fit some some glassfibre/carbon shell seats. That'll put you a lot lower in the car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.