Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Testing demist / heated screen
wonderfulweasel

posted on 28/5/20 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Testing demist / heated screen

I'm using a heated screen as demist for the windscreen, and don't have a heater/fan. How do they test that it works at IVA?

I'd like to test that it works before installing the dash, so that I can easily get to the wiring if I need to change anything. Any suggestions on how I could test it would be really useful!

Thanks

gremlin1234

posted on 28/5/20 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
one easy test would be connect it up and measure the electrical current draw.

I would use a clamp meter around the battery lead, without the engine running (so it isn't supplied by the alternator)

theconrodkid

posted on 28/5/20 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
when i did mine, he breathed on the screen and watched in amazment when the condensation dissapeared

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/5/20 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
it does get warm to the touch, my tin top has one

an hand held thermometer will also very clearly show it and is very handy in the garage anyway

[Edited on 28/5/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 29/5/20 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
it does get warm to the touch, my tin top has one

an hand held thermometer will also very clearly show it and is very handy in the garage anyway

[Edited on 28/5/20 by Mr Whippy]

My wife's previous tin top had a heated windscreen and likewise got slightly warm to touch when switched on.

The huff test seems equally good to me as well.

The screen manufacturers will test them before they ship them, but will very likely use expensive calibrated kit to do the test.

Schrodinger

posted on 29/5/20 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
You can also see the elements in the screen, when Mine was tested I just turned it on and he put his hand on the screen and said 'That's fine'

Keith
Aviemore

wonderfulweasel

posted on 29/5/20 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments.

I've powered it up and the tell tale light on the relay comes on. The relay outputs also give 12v. The screen doesn't feel especially warm, but it is quite warm in the garage at the moment! So it may be that the ambient temperature is as high as the screen temp. I am using an oldish battery that's not been charged for a while, just as a tester.

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to test the current it's drawing, as I suspect it goes above 10A.

I think it is working, but I might give the battery a charge and use the hand test when the weather cools down!

indykid

posted on 29/5/20 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I used a kettle of hot water to test the front and rear heated screens in my MX5 when I wired them up.

It's a fairly conclusive test as you can see the elements evaporate off the condensation and even see dead elements.

wonderfulweasel

posted on 29/5/20 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Battery charged and...
It definitely works!
Activating one side at a time, the side that is on clears my misty breath much faster!

Thanks for your help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.