Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Confusion - Indicator Position
GrahamC

posted on 19/7/20 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Confusion - Indicator Position

I've got myself in a little bit of an IVA tizzy and need putting straight.

Section 23 of the IVA manual refers to indicators and (amongst lots of other stuff) states that they must be a maximum of 400mm from the outside edge of the car

What I'm confused about is that I'm unsure if that means the whole of the lamp must be not more than 400mm from the outside edge
or
that the start of the lamp must be less than 400mm from the edge.

So for example, if the lamp was circular and had a diameter of 130mm, then it could either start at 400 and finish at 530 from the edge or start at 270mm and finish at 400mm from the edge.

Does that make sense?

I need to get my head around this before I drill the holes so would welcome some insight!

[Edited on 19/7/20 by GrahamC]

[Edited on 19/7/20 by GrahamC]

jps

posted on 19/7/20 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Does this help?

Posted by others on here previously, the link above is to another Locostbuilders photo. There is the same image, but showing the rear of the car, too....

ragindave

posted on 19/7/20 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Stick them on the cycle wing only when it passes stick them where you like.

indy678
indy678

snapper

posted on 20/7/20 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Taking your example of the headlight, the diagram is self explanatory but for simplicity ignore the light as a whole just concentrate on the lines on the diagram. For instance the headlight side edge first then the bottom edge as these are the ones most likely to be close to the limits. The Lotus 12 replica had real problems due to height and needed pods to be fitted.
On the Lotus 7 it’s the front indicators and side repeaters that need careful measuring. Usually you need to extend the front indicators towards the wheel arch to make the minimum width if using the nose cone as the location point.
Top tip a mate used small button type repeaters in the headlight bowl which put them high enough to be seen over the rear arches, other options are wing mirrors and front or rear arches.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

GrahamC

posted on 20/7/20 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
As it happens someone else has pointed me to the relevant section in the IVA manual...clearly I had not taken this piece on board.

This little gem can be found in section 20:
"Lamp/reflector lateral position is measured from the extreme outer edge of the vehicle (disregarding tyres, mirrors, lamps and reflectors) to the edge of the illuminated area (or reflective surface on a reflector) nearest that side of the vehicle. Lamp/reflector vertical position is measured from the ground"

My challenge in this instance was at the back end and not the front as I'm trying to avoid the usual lights on the rear arch approach often seen on sevens.

Anyway, thanks all for your responses.

Leeroy06

posted on 22/7/20 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all. Would having the indicators inbuilt to the headlight pass iva OK? I don't want indicators fixed to the nose it's not a good look.thanks

Lphillips

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.