Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coilovers and Spring rates
cfc999

posted on 17/8/20 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Coilovers and Spring rates

What make of coilovers are people running and what poundage springs would you recommend for a Hillclimb Sprint live axle Sylva Striker
CosKev3

posted on 17/8/20 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Speak to matt@procomp motorsport.

He will revalve some Protechs for you,spring wise you need to know the weight of the car and also the angle the coilovers are fitted at.

PumaWestie

posted on 17/8/20 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
As above but not so much the angle but more the amount that the wheel moves in relationship to the shock absorber and the type of tyre being used - list 1A, 1B, 1C or soft slick
JimSpencer

posted on 17/8/20 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfc999
What make of coilovers are people running and what poundage springs would you recommend for a Hillclimb Sprint live axle Sylva Striker

Protech's valved to suit the car by Matt & 250 front & 150 rear but that's with a front ARB.

We did run the car without a front ARB to start with, to get a balance it ended up way too hard for the hills and gave no confidence on the circuits either as it lacked 'feel', fitting the ARB was the key to unlocking the handling performance - made a HUGE difference.

That's with 1B's, 1C's or slicks a bit, but not hugely (I'd say 10 to 20%?) stiffer all round, if the club want you to run 1A's go somewhere else lol..

Well worth doing a setup day somewhere, I used to book a trackday, stick my brother in it and work through basic geo, springs, damper settings, rear ride height and tyre pressures (in that order) to get it where we wanted it - once you've got it where you want it then very small, in the paddock changes, can take it from a hint of understeer to a hint of oversteer as required.

HTH

CosKev3

posted on 17/8/20 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PumaWestie
As above but not so much the angle but more the amount that the wheel moves in relationship to the shock absorber and the type of tyre being used - list 1A, 1B, 1C or soft slick

According to Matt@Procomp the angle makes quite a difference, look at the angle of the fronts on a outboard MK indy and the springs need to be much heavier poundage than a car with hardly any angle on the coilover

cfc999

posted on 17/8/20 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Where would I get hold of a front anti roll bar for a 1995 Striker
JimSpencer

posted on 17/8/20 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I'd have a chat with Martin at Raw to start with.
If not Matt at Procomp or Nigel at Cougar Engineering would be able to help I'm sure.

JimSpencer

posted on 17/8/20 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Also try this thread

Thread Link

There's info about another source of the ARB

Plus I posted a bit more info about the striker set up (linked in a post) about 1o posts in.

Sorry of this is a bit vague, trying to remember what we were doing about 8 or 9 years ago!

There's a few pics of mine in the photo gallery, the one with number 796 on the side is it's final/current incarnation.

[Edited on 17/8/20 by JimSpencer]

cfc999

posted on 17/8/20 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info
PumaWestie

posted on 18/8/20 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by PumaWestie

According to Matt@Procomp the angle makes quite a difference, look at the angle of the fronts on a outboard MK indy and the springs need to be much heavier poundage than a car with hardly any angle on the coilover

Yeah of course the angle makes a difference but its better to measure the wheel movement to shock movement as it gives you the actual motion ratio which the angle on its own doesn't. The leverage ratio between the pickup point distances to shock mount and to the outboard contact patch also come into play along with the angle and not just the angle on its own.

davspeed

posted on 20/8/20 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
On my cbr1000rr engined live axle striker I have protech single adjustable shocks with 180lb springs front and back, the weight is 50/50 front to rear and just over 400kg. The handling feels very neutral but only done a few track days at Blyton in it though and very little on the road.

[Edited on 20/8/20 by davspeed]

cfc999

posted on 20/8/20 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Are your running a ARB
davspeed

posted on 20/8/20 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfc999
Are your running a ARB

No I don't feel as though it needs one really, and from pics it looks pretty flat on the corners. I did have 220lb on the front but it under steered quite a bit and felt very hard on the road. That said in the three years I have had it running I have had very little use from it, this was going to be the year but we know what happened there don't we.

cfc999

posted on 21/8/20 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice. Had a chat with Matt at Procomp so planning a trip down there got get the car measured up before ordering the correct coilovers. The plan is to work through the car in a methodical fashion and hopefully end up with a decent setup.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.