Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Project and the IVA....
BigDawgV8

posted on 21/8/20 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
New Project and the IVA....

Hi All,

New to kit cars but not Hot-Rods or other self build stuff.

I’m currently looking for a bec project, something to finish off/rebuild/restore.

I have come across a couple of good looking projects but they both need putting through the IVA test, something that puts me off taking it any further to be honest.

In reality, in basic terms, how difficult is the test to pass?
Can you drive the car there or does it need trailering?

What are people’s experiences and should it put me off buying what I want?

Thanks in advance for the input.

russbost

posted on 21/8/20 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
A great deal depends on how old the kit is & whether or not it was designed to pass at least SVA even if not IVA (there's not a great deal of difference tbh)

Things that tend to cause problems, particularly on old style "tourers" which I guess could include hot rod types, seat belt mounting height - must be above a certain point above a position on the seat - some cars simply don't have anything substantial above shoulder height to attach to. Steering column - can't be straight, must have a U/J or other form of "crush stopping" ability

Sharp edges of anything from switches to minor embellishments/grilles etc around the car

If you can't prove engine age as being prior to '95 you'll need to meet a full CAT test, which can ber a big problem particularly if engine has been converted to carbs

The manual is readily available online, I would suggest download & take a good look, certain parts simply don't apply to certain types - for instance if you don't have a windscreen you don't need wipers or screen demisting ability

If you give more substance to what sort of kit you're thinking of might be able to give more specific advice.

If you look at my avatar you will see that not everything that passes looks as tho' perhaps it would!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/8/20 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to keep in mind if the car is older is that the rules have changed over the years and some parts originally supplied such as the dash may not be compliant and need to be redon. Be very very careful buying a part built kit, many people do some of the most idiotic things which you will have to correct. It may seem odd but in some ways a part built kit is worth less than an unstarted one and be prepared to have to strip it down and do it again. I myself an right in the middle of this process and true to form finding all sorts of incompetent nonsense but the car was half the overall kit value and based on a fantastic low mileage donor.

You will have to trailer the car to the IVA. Estimates like 80% complete are usually wildly inaccurate.

Look for, receipts for the kit and parts, donor car v5, donor vin plates, pictures of the build, as much paperwork as possible plus the build manual.

I see Russ is thinking along the same lines

[Edited on 21/8/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 21/8/20 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
You don't have to trailer the car to IVA, but many people do, you can insure on chassis no. & drive it there, but as they will turn you away if even a few minutes late, probably safer to trailer, given that there are many unknowns with a fresh build

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.