Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GRP side panels - esp the cockpit area
jps

posted on 28/8/20 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
GRP side panels - esp the cockpit area

Before I cut, I want to test the idea with you lot!

My GRP side panels came with a return top and bottom (and I can only presume with a bit of a bow to them). In most of the engine bay this is fine, but by the time i get to the cockpit alignment isn't so good.

All of the lower return has already been cut off, it wouldn't fit over the 3mm alu floor I have fitted.

The top return also doesn't sit on the top rail, it rises from the scuttle to about a 10mm gap by the time the metalwork arches uptowards the rollhoop feet.

This picture - from Voucht's roadster blog basically shows the same sort of gap as I have - with the same bodyworK: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NymhZlBaXLA/VYteRSEbuuI/AAAAAAAAJSE/G_bjCJJ06X4/s1600/2014-07-09_10-21-36.jpg

I had expected to pack this gap out with something like polythene strip (sliced up chopping boards, profiled to fit). A similar approach is mentioned here: http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=3348

I do like the look of the cockpit sides colour matching the rest of the bodywork.

However I now see that almost everyone fits trim on top of the cockpit sides, presumably as an IVA requirement?

So should I cut the top return off the side panel -from the scuttle back - and then trim it all with alu channel/hockey trim?

It would mean that the side panel from the scuttle back is just a flat sheet of GRP sikaflexed to the chassis rails.

[Edited on 28/8/20 by jps]

Deckman001

posted on 28/8/20 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, If you have already cut the bottom lip off, can the top lip now be sat onto the rail and then cut off the excess that would then protrude below the bottom rail ?

Jason

jps

posted on 28/8/20 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Just a thought, If you have already cut the bottom lip off, can the top lip now be sat onto the rail and then cut off the excess that would then protrude below the bottom rail ?

Jason

Sadly no, thanks to the bowing that I think exists in the panel (or the chassis, or both). The gap will need filling if the return stays...

christim

posted on 28/8/20 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if this is an option for you but...I cut the chassis rail and raised it to eliminate the gap.

[Edited on 28/8/20 by christim]

jps

posted on 28/8/20 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christim
Not sure if this is an option for you but...I cut the chassis rail and raised it to eliminate the gap.

[Edited on 28/8/20 by christim]

A fair point, which I had not considered, but I think i'll take an easier way out at this point!
EDIT - interesting build thread by the way!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.