Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with fuel tank sender/pickup
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/20 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Help with fuel tank sender/pickup

Hi,

When I got this car it was just wreaking of petrol and the culprit was the sender unit, I can now understand why the previous owner was so hesitant to put more petrol in it! I thought he was just being miserable

I'm not sure what the sender is off, could be the Sierra. It's got a fuel pick up and fuel return pipe although the solder joint on one of the pipes has snapped, I could fix that. As you can see in the picture the tank is just thin stainless with a 60mm hole cut into it and 4 holes for bolts, that's it. The sender is even worse with notches instead of holes... that was never going to work.

Really I'm after a solution to this, I don't mind welding to the tank as I've just finished welded some mounting brackets to it anyway. Looking for something similar with the sender and pipes, although I could weld the return pipe to the tank directly. The tank is 240mm deep.

Idea's anyone, thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 6/9/20 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming your RH 2B tank is similar to my RH Series 3 tank, there are two similar sized holes, one (with studs) for the sender and one (without studs) for the filler. The filler is pushed into a u-section seal (as used on a Sierra), which has already to have been put into the tank hole. A second such seal should be in the hole for the sender, giving something for the sender to seal down on top of, when it is clamped down by nuts and washers on the studs.
Dingz

posted on 6/9/20 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr Whippy, if you go on the Rhocar web site and do a search you will find various solutions to this and many other problems.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/9/20 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thank both.

I've just joined the Rhocar, looks a good site

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 7/9/20 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
That does look like a Sierra sender. I initially used one on my MK. The tabs can work as the sender twists in to lock. I replaced mine with a generic cheapy ebay one and made up plates to make the hole a bit smaller. The new solution works perfectly with no leaks.
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/9/20 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers. I joined the Rhocar website but could not see anything that looked like a fix. So I have ordered a steel ring 100mm OD x 52mm ID and 6mm thick from a laser cutting website which I'm going to weld onto the top of the tank filler hole and then tap 6 screws into it. That way I can then clamp down properly the Sierra sender without worrying about leaks. Only cost £7

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.