Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any one know someone with/had Cov1d 19 ???
joneh

posted on 2/11/20 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone follow Dr Michael Yeadon?

He's of the impression that CV-19 did it's pass back in April and the pandemic finished at the end of summer. He believes, almost 100% of the current cases are false PCR tests. A couple of things back up his argument:

Deaths from respiratory illnesses are currently lower than the 5 year average for this time of year.
ITU occupation capacity is normal (82%) for this time of year.
No coronavirus has ever had a "second wave".
If it were still a pandemic, why is the capital not seeing 500+ deaths a day.
NHS triage figures (999, 111) do not correlate with the increase in cases, and actually show less people are using triage services now than September.
A PCR "pseudo pandemic" has actually happened before, although on a smaller scale in the USA with Whooping Cough. Some smart cookie decided to change the test away from PCR and every single case was a false.
Scottish PCR labs have shown a repeatable weekly pattern in % positive PCR tests, which eventually doubles Friday & Saturday. It then drops right back down again Monday morning. The lab receives a deep clean on Sundays. His point was that to cope with the demand, the labs have lots of junior testers that even needed guidance on pipette usage. So much so, one lab head, Dr Julian Harris, quit citing 'chaos'.
Two thirds of the PCR tests, don't actually distinguish on coronavirus from another.

He's not saying that CV doesn't exist, just it's now an endemic virus that is barely in circulation within the community. Most likely only present in significant amounts within hospitals.

Those are his main points, that I can remember, wondered if anyone else has seen this and has any thoughts?

ianhurley20

posted on 2/11/20 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
my thought about him is I think he is a paper hat

joneh

posted on 2/11/20 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
my thought about him is I think he is a paper hat

Not familiar with that one... basically are you saying he's nuts?

rusty nuts

posted on 2/11/20 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think he means something that rhymes with that!
joneh

posted on 2/11/20 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I think he means something that rhymes with that!

I see! There are a few options...

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 2/11/20 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I became aware of him a few days ago and wanted to read his paper. Not got round to it yet. He's actually a proper scientist with some background of this and had held high ranking jobs in decent companies (can't remember who but think Pfizer or rouche type companies)

He's also got strong viewed that our modelling and base assumptions are wrong, eg no one has immunity in Jan 2019 - he thinks some people will have. He's not happy with the make up of the advisors in sage.

All of this is interesting, but I'm curious how you reconcile with other facts, like the x-rays.

Also don't forget we lost a lot of people this year earlier than we should. That means they can't due this winter. That has to be taken into consideration when looking at numbers

SteveWalker

posted on 2/11/20 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Plus, throughout Europe, the second wave seems to be the Spanish mutation - so it can't simply be false PCR tests, as a different strain is being found.
joneh

posted on 2/11/20 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Plus, throughout Europe, the second wave seems to be the Spanish mutation - so it can't simply be false PCR tests, as a different strain is being found.

I don't think the false positives have any dependency on strain, although there is an inherent FPR of 0.4 - 0.8%. He's saying most of the false positives are coming from the handling of the samples and some of the tests just check for a coronavirus, rather than a specific strain like SARS-COV-2.

joneh

posted on 2/11/20 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I became aware of him a few days ago and wanted to read his paper. Not got round to it yet. He's actually a proper scientist with some background of this and had held high ranking jobs in decent companies (can't remember who but think Pfizer or rouche type companies)

He's also got strong viewed that our modelling and base assumptions are wrong, eg no one has immunity in Jan 2019 - he thinks some people will have. He's not happy with the make up of the advisors in sage.

All of this is interesting, but I'm curious how you reconcile with other facts, like the x-rays.

Also don't forget we lost a lot of people this year earlier than we should. That means they can't due this winter. That has to be taken into consideration when looking at numbers

Not sure how it reconciles with the other facts, there seem to be a lot supporting it, so one to keep an eye on. Although no matter what, I can't see the government ever fessing up to such a massive balls up if it were true!

Regarding earlier in the year, that could explain why the current respiratory deaths are lower. Dry kinder phenomenon, similar to why Norway & Finland did very well compared to Sweden. Sweden had a low flu mortality the previous year, where Norway and Finland were hit comparatively hard.

coyoteboy

posted on 2/11/20 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh

He's of the impression that CV-19 did it's pass back in April and the pandemic finished at the end of summer. He believes, almost 100% of the current cases are false PCR tests. A couple of things back up his argument:

Deaths from respiratory illnesses are currently lower than the 5 year average for this time of year.
NHS triage figures (999, 111) do not correlate with the increase in cases, and actually show less people are using triage services now than September.
A PCR "pseudo pandemic" has actually happened before, although on a smaller scale in the USA with Whooping Cough. Some smart cookie decided to change the test away from PCR and every single case was a false.
Scottish PCR labs have shown a repeatable weekly pattern in % positive PCR tests, which eventually doubles Friday & Saturday. It then drops right back down again Monday morning. The lab receives a deep clean on Sundays. His point was that to cope with the demand, the labs have lots of junior testers that even needed guidance on pipette usage. So much so, one lab head, Dr Julian Harris, quit citing 'chaos'.
Two thirds of the PCR tests, don't actually distinguish on coronavirus from another.

He's not saying that CV doesn't exist, just it's now an endemic virus that is barely in circulation within the community. Most likely only present in significant amounts within hospitals.

Those are his main points, that I can remember, wondered if anyone else has seen this and has any thoughts?

There's a bunch of points there that are seemingly false. I know folk who work in labs, they're not in chaos. Maybe some are, but not all.

There's no way a decent lab manager would not see such an easy to spot correlation between results and cleaning and not eradicate it. That would suggest universal incompetence in most labs.

UK PCR tests have 95% specificity. That means that if 1 in 60 folk test positive, only 5% of those (0.016 * 0.05 = 0.0008, or 0.08%) are false positives, hardly swaying the numbers I don't think?

Not really sure what previous coronaviruses have to do with a new one. They have similarities, but they're not the same thing - those with huge fatality rate will kill off hosts too fast to allow a second wave. Those with really really mild symptoms just become endemic with no-one even testing, let alone caring. The nuances of virology seems to be looking at these differences, so to say none of that matters seems a bit odd.

Deaths from respiratory illnesses are lower than average? Well a) a ton of people have already died that would have from other respiratory illnesses and b) there's global mitigations in place to reduce general contact and improve cleanliness, not that surprising that fewer folk are catching and dying from other respiratory illnesses I suppose.

The thing I find interesting, being someone with no expertise in this field and therefore no real right to comment, is that while I can see a government not following scientific advice, and I can see scientists arguing, science works by looking at all the viewpoints and getting consensus. If someone brings something credible to the table that seems more likely, any credible scientist would see it and agree. I have known some scientists. They're not generally the type that shy from controversy - you'd expect to see more dissent in the ranks if these points were credible.

joneh

posted on 2/11/20 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

There's a bunch of points there that are seemingly false. I know folk who work in labs, they're not in chaos. Maybe some are, but not all.

There's no way a decent lab manager would not see such an easy to spot correlation between results and cleaning and not eradicate it. That would suggest universal incompetence in most labs.

UK PCR tests have 95% specificity. That means that if 1 in 60 folk test positive, only 5% of those (0.016 * 0.05 = 0.0008, or 0.08%) are false positives, hardly swaying the numbers I don't think?

Not really sure what previous coronaviruses have to do with a new one. They have similarities, but they're not the same thing - those with huge fatality rate will kill off hosts too fast to allow a second wave. Those with really really mild symptoms just become endemic with no-one even testing, let alone caring. The nuances of virology seems to be looking at these differences, so to say none of that matters seems a bit odd.

Deaths from respiratory illnesses are lower than average? Well a) a ton of people have already died that would have from other respiratory illnesses and b) there's global mitigations in place to reduce general contact and improve cleanliness, not that surprising that fewer folk are catching and dying from other respiratory illnesses I suppose.

The thing I find interesting, being someone with no expertise in this field and therefore no real right to comment, is that while I can see a government not following scientific advice, and I can see scientists arguing, science works by looking at all the viewpoints and getting consensus. If someone brings something credible to the table that seems more likely, any credible scientist would see it and agree. I have known some scientists. They're not generally the type that shy from controversy - you'd expect to see more dissent in the ranks if these points were credible.

Interesting points, I don't know how many PCR labs there are, but I assume at least one Scottish one and one English one (Dr Julian Harris's) were / are in disarray. The point about previous Coronavirus's is that Coronaviruses don't have second waves, they burn out and move around to areas without immunity (as far as I understand from what I've read).

I've seen a lot of dissent within the scientific community and within journalists (Great Barrington Declaration), Prof Heneghan, Ivor Cummings, Prof Sikora as well as Yeadon who all have different views. There are many doctors protesting, they just don't seem to get BBC time. It's almost like debating climate change but lets not open that can

Like you, I'm someone with no expertise in this area. My expertise is in testing (not medical, but software, infrastructure and services) and analytics, so it's more these points that perk my interest.

SteveWalker

posted on 2/11/20 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I don't think the false positives have any dependency on strain, although there is an inherent FPR of 0.4 - 0.8%. He's saying most of the false positives are coming from the handling of the samples and some of the tests just check for a coronavirus, rather than a specific strain like SARS-COV-2.

I know the tests aren't strain specific, but the fact that that strain has been tracked from Spain, all over Europe, shows that it is certainly being spread far and wide.

nelmo

posted on 3/11/20 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
We have avoided the holiday hotspots all year as a result and are still safe.

See, to me that is the most sensible solution that everyone should have just stuck to from day 1 - if you are over 65, at risk because of other health conditions or just worried, STAY AT HOME. Do NOT go to work, the pub, a restaurant, football match, concert, garden centre etc, etc, etc. Do NOT visit friends, relations - get your food delivered.

Yes, your life is crap BUT everyone else can get on with their normal lives and we won't have people moaning about not wearing face masks (whatever dubious protection they provide) and the other mass panic issues.

Bottom line, the virus has killed 0.07% of the UK population. You have a 99.93% chance of NOT dying (even better if you're under 65) - why are people so scared?

Yes, this is harrowing for those who experience death in the family and my condolences to you BUT for every heart-breaking news story of a person dying in hospital, how about the story of 3 families (45,000 deaths, 120,000 redundancies) where the only breadwinner has been made redundant and now cannot afford rent/mortgage or to feed their kids?

I don't know anyone who has died or even had the disease (although several had 'something' but not been tested) BUT I have seen 4 local shops close on my high street - I dread to think what their lives are like right now. My brother (in Florida) has lost his job (luckily, he married well :-) ) and my brother-in-law has had his full-time job reduced to 3 days a week, although he is not confident even that will last as he has nothing to do (works in advertising).

Yes, furlough will help some but money doesn't grow on trees - if you thought the austerity after the 2008 crash was bad, we 'aint seen nothing yet.

I don't blame the government for this - they are just responding as best they can. The problem IMO is the media/FB/Twitter etc - scared the crap out of people with over-hyped clickbait to make a buck. Everyone loves a disaster :-(

Build Blog

steve m

posted on 3/11/20 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
A close family friend of 41 old has tested positive on saturday, , and now her 71 yr old Mother, today and if friends Father gets a hint of it, he is dead, as a Copd and asbestos asthmatic

I will continue with the not going out, and am fortunate to be able to retire at 60.04 its not what i wanted to do, but its the safest thing for myself and family, and i am on the shielding list

The bizarre thing is, even with out any pay coming in since August, neither is much money being spent, so it proves that even when i was working, it was costing a good percentage ( i reckon 20%) just to get to work, train or car, feed and water myself while at work. etc etc

The depressing thing now, is winter, cold wet damp, and dark all the time! so cant even go in the garden,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ianhurley20

posted on 3/11/20 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nelmo
quote:

See, to me that is the most sensible solution that everyone should have just stuck to from day 1 - if you are over 65, at risk because of other health conditions or just worried, STAY AT HOME. Do NOT go to work, the pub, a restaurant, football match, concert, garden centre etc, etc, etc. Do NOT visit friends, relations - get your food delivered.

Yes, your life is crap BUT everyone else can get on with their normal lives and we won't have people moaning about not wearing face masks (whatever dubious protection they provide) and the other mass panic issues.

Bottom line, the virus has killed 0.07% of the UK population. You have a 99.93% chance of NOT dying (even better if you're under 65) - why are people so scared?

Yes, this is harrowing for those who experience death in the family and my condolences to you BUT for every heart-breaking news story of a person dying in hospital, how about the story of 3 families (45,000 deaths, 120,000 redundancies) where the only breadwinner has been made redundant and now cannot afford rent/mortgage or to feed their kids?

I don't know anyone who has died or even had the disease (although several had 'something' but not been tested) BUT I have seen 4 local shops close on my high street - I dread to think what their lives are like right now. My brother (in Florida) has lost his job (luckily, he married well :-) ) and my brother-in-law has had his full-time job reduced to 3 days a week, although he is not confident even that will last as he has nothing to do (works in advertising).

Yes, furlough will help some but money doesn't grow on trees - if you thought the austerity after the 2008 crash was bad, we 'aint seen nothing yet.

I don't blame the government for this - they are just responding as best they can. The problem IMO is the media/FB/Twitter etc - scared the crap out of people with over-hyped clickbait to make a buck. Everyone loves a disaster :-(

Thank you!

Must sat Joneh - why are you debating this?
The information you are putting forward is from someone who is as I have said a 'paper hat'
This is the most awful situation we have been in in my lifetime, we do not need to debate it we need to keep self distanced and obey the rules and maybe one day we will be able to live as we once did!
Please - can we all work together and ignore these stupid 'experts' and become as safe as we can and maybe be around in a few years to -- build another kit cat maybe? - or just be around! lets do what makes us all safe and stop debating all these so called -- EXPERTS!

Paul M

posted on 3/11/20 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its come very close to me in the last ten days , we've had 2 positive tests at work, my daughters boyfirend is aslo
positive ( young & fine , no symptoms), and my elderly Uncle contracted it in Hospital and died last weekend- so yes,
its as much of a threat as you've been told it is.

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

joneh

posted on 3/11/20 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ian,

If no one ever challenged or offered a different opinion we'd still live in caves. All I've done is ask peoples opinions on what was stated by Dr Yeadon. You dismissed it with a flippant comment and offered no further useful contributions, where others have contributed with very reasonable counter points. I personally like to explore and understand a wide range of views and evidence before I make my own decision. Some of Dr Yeadons points are facts, some can be explained and linked to other issues.

I'm not debating here, I'm listening to other viewpoints and making informed decisions. I could just blindly believe what Boris tells us, however taking anything a politician tells you as gospel truth, is frankly nuts.

ianhurley20

posted on 3/11/20 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I am not going to waste my time responding again - but - have you actually had someone who you knew die from this - and their son as well - and maybe a family member be infected as well?
Then some expert says - CV-19 did it's pass back in April and the pandemic finished at the end of summer. - really?
Get real!!

joneh

posted on 3/11/20 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I am not going to waste my time responding again - but - have you actually had someone who you knew die from this - and their son as well - and maybe a family member be infected as well?
Then some expert says - CV-19 did it's pass back in April and the pandemic finished at the end of summer. - really?
Get real!!

He's not saying the virus is gone, just it's now endemic, rather than pandemic, but thanks for your input.

SteveWalker

posted on 4/11/20 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

But it is impossible to effectively isolate the vulnerable. Many younger people with existing health conditions are living with children who have to go to school; many older people are having carers, family or friends come in each day to look after them; everyone in care homes has staff coming in and out; food deliveries and even the post *may* carry the virus.

The only way to protect is to cut the prevalence, by cutting the spread of the virus throughout the general community - which means people like myself, choosing not to take a foreign holiday or pack onto a crowded UK beach; not to meet up with friends at home or in pubs/restaurants; not to go leisure shopping; to work from home if possible; to wear a mask.

Admittedly, it is proven that masks give the were little protection (although any is worth having). Their main reason is to protect others if the wearer is carrying the virus - and figures for different types of mask have showed the worst as giving 7% reduction and the best as 40-odd% (IIRC). Even 7% is quite a help when you are trying to get the R-rate down.

joneh

posted on 4/11/20 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

But it is impossible to effectively isolate the vulnerable. Many younger people with existing health conditions are living with children who have to go to school; many older people are having carers, family or friends come in each day to look after them; everyone in care homes has staff coming in and out; food deliveries and even the post *may* carry the virus.

The only way to protect is to cut the prevalence, by cutting the spread of the virus throughout the general community - which means people like myself, choosing not to take a foreign holiday or pack onto a crowded UK beach; not to meet up with friends at home or in pubs/restaurants; not to go leisure shopping; to work from home if possible; to wear a mask.

Admittedly, it is proven that masks give the were little protection (although any is worth having). Their main reason is to protect others if the wearer is carrying the virus - and figures for different types of mask have showed the worst as giving 7% reduction and the best as 40-odd% (IIRC). Even 7% is quite a help when you are trying to get the R-rate down.

Interesting point about not being able to effectively isolate the vulnerable, maybe it's effectively isolate for a long period of time, rather than a short two weeks. But you're right, cutting prevalence is the key, with only two real effective methods. Firstly being the seasons, now we've passed the first peak. Secondly, herd immunity either through infection, residual immunity or a vaccine. It can be debated from the data that lockdowns do not work, even when military enforced. The Who have changed their stance now we know a little more about the virus and the damage a lockdown can do.

Here's an interesting article on a cold outbreak in the Antarctic after 17 weeks of isolation. Seems mother nature will find a way.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2130424/

I'm in the camp that masks do not help, (controversial I know, and I'm prepared to take the fallout ) decades of research has shown us that and a few extra studies hasn't changed science. The lab based droplet studies all fail to take into account that the public constantly fiddle with their coverings, stuff them in pockets, under the chin etc. They all consider the source of infection to be the wearer, and not that tin of beans you just picked up after nine people put it back down. It's possible that they could cause more infection in the public due to not using them correctly, touching items, then touching the face covering. Danish study NCT04337541 is one to keep an eye out for the results for. A real retail study with 6000 participants, although for some reason the large publishers has decided the results are too political to publish??

I'll concede that if the source of infection is the wearer, within a sterile environment, they may protect an uninfected third party that is within 2m.

nelmo

posted on 4/11/20 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The only way to protect is to cut the prevalence, by cutting the spread of the virus throughout the general community.

Yes, true - but at what cost?

We are never going to be able to cut the prevalence, not while we still have essential workers out there or while we have to go food shopping and, like you say, even food deliveries being a risk factor.

So the call is (well, it has already been taken but for arguments sake), do we lockdown completely, with all the financial risks to the huge majority of people, to protect the vulnerable minority? It's harsh but I personally feel we need to protect the majority.

(Just to add, my mum is 74 and has diabetes - I am not totally unaffected by the risks. My dad, on the other hand, is perfectly healthy but has always been a hypochondriac. He lives in Spain and is probably in an underground bunker with full rubber suit on :-) ).

Build Blog

jps

posted on 4/11/20 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
one lab head, Dr Julian Harris, quit

Can't find anything to suggest Julian Harris was the head of a lab. From what I can find, it seems he worked in the lab actually doing hands on lab work, he didn't run it.

Just an interesting note - Joneh, i'm not suggesting you've added that - but it does inflate a piece of evidence to add the 'fact' that he was the head of the lab... Which I believe is a key feature of how conspiracy theories work, based in reality to some degree, then with embelishments to enhance the argument...

joneh

posted on 4/11/20 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
one lab head, Dr Julian Harris, quit

Can't find anything to suggest Julian Harris was the head of a lab. From what I can find, it seems he worked in the lab actually doing hands on lab work, he didn't run it.

Just an interesting note - Joneh, i'm not suggesting you've added that - but it does inflate a piece of evidence to add the 'fact' that he was the head of the lab... Which I believe is a key feature of how conspiracy theories work, based in reality to some degree, then with embelishments to enhance the argument...

No, you're right. I wrote the list from memory. It wasn't my intention to mislead or create a conspiracy. I wanted other peoples opinions on Yeadon's theory.

Checking Yeadon's blog he states "Dr Julian Harris resigned from his senior scientific / supervisory post in one of the large PCR sample preparation labs. Look him up. He was interviewed for BBC TV’s late evening news. He cited chaos & even safety concerns, saying the majority of the staff under him.."

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 4/11/20 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just to share you a little information I think I've already shared in this thread. A 44 year old friend caught covid, ended up in intensive care, had a stroke. He's still recovering. A 47 year old friend caught covid and ... Ended up in intensive care and had a stroke.

Both were fit and well prior.

Please don't think death is the only side effect of this pernicious virus. Younger people may not die but they sure as hell can get ill and suffer life changing consequences.

And don't anyone dare say 47 is old!!!

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.