Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any one know someone with/had Cov1d 19 ???
joneh

posted on 4/11/20 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Just to share you a little information I think I've already shared in this thread. A 44 year old friend caught covid, ended up in intensive care, had a stroke. He's still recovering. A 47 year old friend caught covid and ... Ended up in intensive care and had a stroke.

Both were fit and well prior.

Please don't think death is the only side effect of this pernicious virus. Younger people may not die but they sure as hell can get ill and suffer life changing consequences.

And don't anyone dare say 47 is old!!!

Yup, it's a nasty disease, I hope both your friends make a full recovery. I hope 47 isn't considered old. I'm not too far off that...

nelmo

posted on 4/11/20 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Just to share you a little information I think I've already shared in this thread. A 44 year old friend caught covid, ended up in intensive care, had a stroke. He's still recovering. A 47 year old friend caught covid and ... Ended up in intensive care and had a stroke.

Both were fit and well prior.

Please don't think death is the only side effect of this pernicious virus. Younger people may not die but they sure as hell can get ill and suffer life changing consequences.

And don't anyone dare say 47 is old!!!

Yes, sounds horrendous but if you're going to be affected like that, you WILL be affected by it eventually - all this lockdown is doing is delaying the inevitable.

This virus is NEVER going to go away (in the same way 'flu hasn't), so we come out of lockdown in 4 weeks and boom, virus cases will once again shoot up and if you're susceptible, that's it. The only difference is, you won't have to worry about telling work because you may not have a job to go to - silver lining I guess....

A vaccine is many months away and if the current 'flu vaccine is anything to go by, it will only be 60% effective at best. And would you trust a rushed-out, not fully tested vaccine? I would rather wait a year or 2 to see the side-affects.

Build Blog

MikeR

posted on 4/11/20 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
And there's a problem.

People are expecting a magic pill and Corona disappears them we go back to behaving like we did in 2019. That's incredibly unlikely. We'll hopefully get a Jab that reduces the impact / severity. To be effective we'll need (guess) 80 to 95% take up. That will then give the magical herd immunity for those that can't take it. My son for a while couldn't have his immunisations. We had to rely on herd immunity. You don't have get pissed off when people refuse to immunise their child. How are people going to react to the modern antivaxers?

I've talked about the vaccine with my wife since day one. We're both nervous. Who wants to be first? However with my health I might have no choice.

If my assumption above is true we're going to have an interesting (scary) time, especially if we have some form of instant antibody test (instead of infection)

David Jenkins

posted on 5/11/20 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nelmo
A vaccine is many months away ...

I was talking to a friend of mine who's a nurse-practitioner for an Ipswich GP. Her practice has been told to start preparing for the vaccination campaign in the very near future.

As for 'taking the risk', my wife and I both volunteered to be guinea pigs for testing a vaccine, even though we're in our late 60's. As it happens, we didn't get called in, but I think that was mostly due to the fact that the tests were mostly in the Cambridge area and they preferred to use locals who could easily get to appointments at the university/hospital.

SJ

posted on 6/11/20 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by nelmo
A vaccine is many months away ...

I was talking to a friend of mine who's a nurse-practitioner for an Ipswich GP. Her practice has been told to start preparing for the vaccination campaign in the very near future.

As for 'taking the risk', my wife and I both volunteered to be guinea pigs for testing a vaccine, even though we're in our late 60's. As it happens, we didn't get called in, but I think that was mostly due to the fact that the tests were mostly in the Cambridge area and they preferred to use locals who could easily get to appointments at the university/hospital.

As long as it isn't mandatory..

MikeR

posted on 6/11/20 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think they could make it legally mandetory, however I anticipate a country split into those that have had it and are pro vs those that haven't and are anti.

I can forsee it getting to the point people without a vaccine (and therefore no antibodies) being not allowed to do certain things. However i think and hope this is unlikely as its a dangerous path to walk.

SJ

posted on 6/11/20 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I can forsee it getting to the point people without a vaccine (and therefore no antibodies) being not allowed to do certain things. However i think and hope this is unlikely as its a dangerous path to walk.

I agree - There's no way the NHS are competent enough to allow / disallow people to live their lives based on NHS records. They have already got my medical records mixed up with someone else's. Must happen all the time.

02GF74

posted on 8/1/21 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
This virus is not giving up without a fight.

Record number of deaths and infections today.

Not sure if I have had it or have it now, but have a very slightly phlegmy chest and nothing else, so if it is it, it is ultra mild.

Hang on in there....

steve m

posted on 9/1/21 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I live in Crawley Sussex, and according to the stats. we have the 6th largest rise in cases over the last week, in the whole of the Great Britain

So looks like my daily 2 mile walk is cancelled, also i may close all the windows as well!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

02GF74

posted on 9/1/21 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I live in Crawley Sussex, and according to the stats. we have the 6th largest rise in cases over the last week, in the whole of the Great Britain

So looks like my daily 2 mile walk is cancelled, also i may close all the windows as well!

I used to live in Yarmouth close, Crawley

Go walking very early or late in the evening but I hear you, I come across loads more people on my off road running and cycle routes, problem is every one is trying to get away from everyone else so they all end up in the same place. LOL

joneh

posted on 9/1/21 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget it's not actual deaths within the last 24 hours. Its deaths reported within the last 24 hours that have tested positive over the last 28 days. A sizeable amount of these will be from hospitals, hospices and care homes, from other causes.

The point to keep in mind is that unlike the peak, we're not seeing significant excess deaths at the moment.

If any of the nerds amongst you fancy a read, this model is great. It seems to be very accurate and it annoys people on both sides of the lockdown arguement. Lockdowns do suppress the virus, but to save more lives a two tiered approach is superior. Shield the vulnerable and >60, then essentially let it rip through the rest. It shows peak around now and end around end of March.

You can get the formula and source code for it.

It also shows the vaccine is too late to make any significant saving during this wave.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.09.20210146v1.full

joneh

posted on 9/1/21 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

steve

That's kinda the opposite of what you should do! But do what you feel is best for your own sanity.

steve m

posted on 9/1/21 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
"I used to live in Yarmouth close, Crawley"

Freinds of ours used to live in Ormesby Walk, a stones throw from your old place

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ADH75

posted on 9/1/21 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
**deleted**

An interesting guy to follow is Tom Fardon. He is the Chair National Advisory Group Respitory Medicine and a Dr at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.

He had COVID and as a keen cyclist was extremely fit, but suffered a bit of long term lung capacity drop which he wrote about. He's also written some interesting information regarding the benefits of the longer gap between 1st and 2nd doses and how the antibodies against COVID increase over time.

[Edited on 9/1/21 by ADH75]

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/1/21 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
quote:

steve

That's kinda the opposite of what you should do! But do what you feel is best for your own sanity.

There's no reason to not go for a walk so long as you stay away from other people and unless folk come up to your windows and sneeze through them, closing them will accomplish nothing.

I still go for a cycle and feel a lot better for it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 10/1/21 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
So a friends 94 year old father went to hospital on Friday after a nasty fall. They tested him and it came back positive. He's not ill from it, but requires carers at home as he also has Parkinson's. Anyway, the NHS want to discharge him, send him home? Two other people live at home too and as he needs care, it would be impossible to self isolate.

I can't make sense of the logic there, unless the doctors know that without symptoms and a clinical diagnosis the testing is crap, or maybe 94 is a good innings, send him home, to hell with any others and free up a bed?

Sorry but it's just bizarre.

steve m

posted on 10/1/21 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I did a 5.5 mile walk today, as got an app on my phone now, just over two hours, so i am quite pleased, and being a shorty, its a lot longer for me !!

BenB

posted on 10/1/21 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's simple. Ideally wouldn't be sent home, agree. Ideal went out the window long time ago. This Tuesday gone London Ambulance Service had 200+ category 2 patients waiting for an ambulance (I think average response time for those is normally 7 minutes?). We rang through 2 such patients, they were pleading with us to get the patients to hospital some other way: "stick them in an Uber". They said if that wasn't possible the wait would be over 4 hour. This is for a patient with oxygen saturations of 85% at rest (which is seriously scarily terrirtory).

Is sending patients to hospital in an Uber idea (certainly not for the driver!)? Is 4 hour waits for Category 2 patients ideal?

It's chaos.

Truth is they'll send anyone they can home because they need the bed (and the consequences of that decision can wait for another day). In London most hospitals are turning 100% covid beds. Unless someone is on death's door they go home.

People like saying it's not as bad as it seems and in a way I wish I could believe that. Truth is it's not as bad as it seems- it's worse. The decisions required by medics and the planning documents I've read go so far beyond compassion they quite frankly scare me.

Anyhow. Happy happy joy joy. We vaccinated 1200 patients in our hub this weekend (that's the two days you work 24 hours for free after doing the usual week's work) so that's one in the eye for Cov19. Shame in typical NHS fashion the lift broke, the very long slippy path up to the practice hadn't been gritted and I therefore spent an hour not vaccinating people and instead going from one DIY store to another to try and find some rock salt to grit the path with (after a 80+ year old fell on ice and suffered a nasty injury). And no-one knew how to turn on the outside light so after dusk it was pitch-black walking up the aforementioned icy ramp. We had wanted to use our perfectly positioned ground-floor access practice to provide the hub but were told we couldn't so we were at the mercy of NHS property services (who don't do weekends). Thankfully someone knew the mobile number of the mum of the cleaner who knew how to turn them on and eventually I found a DIY shed with some rock salt for sale and we managed to find a very fit medical student who found a wheelchair and ran up and down the (admittidly fairly long three level) ramp to carry the patients up and down to the main entrance from the hub entrance. Common sense was bring the vaccine down to the patients but we were told in no uncertain terms this would not be possible as we would lose our approval and assurance if the vaccine moved vertically (maximum allowed was 3 metres horizontally). I did point out that fairly soon after being stuck in the patient's arm the vaccine would be making this verbotten maneover but fell on deaf ears. So 1000+ 80 year old (plus) patients had to clamber up the ramp (unless the med student was free). Officially of couse I shouldn't have been working at the hub as I hadn't actually completed my mandatory training. I must admit I did do the ones on how to give a vaccine (not sure how I've managed 25 years of medicine without that training) but after 5 hours when I got to the section on "Conflict Resolution" at 9pm at night I realised a conflict of my own in relation to whether I stayed at work completing the BS or went home and had some dinner so I could come back to work the next morning at 8am to start jabbing. All I can say is I resolved that conflict satisfactorily. Just annoys the hell out of me. 40+ clinicians and admin members freely gave up their entire weekends to vaccinate and we're just met with barrier after barrier due to administrative over-reach from DOH pen-pushers and their local wanabees who don't even bother to answer their phones at the weekend to sort out their own mess.

Sorely tempted (getting back to cars) to attend the next meeting with a Kimi quote on a t-shirt "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing". Unfortunately anything that involves central government gets admnistrated to death (while the politicians say it's all fine and we'll have vaccinated one billion people by next Tuesday).

And breathe........
Crazy times.

[Edited on 10/1/21 by BenB]

David Jenkins

posted on 10/1/21 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like my brother-in-law's experience: he was a dentist for getting on for 40 years, was even an examiner for dental students, and had his own practice. He had retired less than 4 months ago.

They still insisted that he did the mandatory training, even though he had given injections through all of his career (and not just into gums), managed peoples' anxiety about needles, knew how to deal with adverse reactions, and so on.

He put up with the BS, got approved and with be doing it in the coming weeks - but he very nearly told them to take a running jump.

steve m

posted on 11/1/21 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ben, my m8, you have my utter respect, I do not know how you deal with this bullshit day in and day out, and on top of that be abused, by total pondlifes

If it wasnt for you (my m8) and the likes of you, we would all be in dire shyte at the moment, and the idiots on Yahoo, reckon we could vacinate the WHOLE of the UK in a week !!! but the govrnment are holding it back, hahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha,

we are being lied to from every single angle, and as such there are so many lies, we dont know which is worse, or which one to believe !!

steve

joneh

posted on 11/1/21 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Truth is they'll send anyone they can home because they need the bed (and the consequences of that decision can wait for another day). In London most hospitals are turning 100% covid beds. Unless someone is on death's door they go home.

Looking at the Zoe app data, London infection peak was just before new year so peak hospital admissions should be around now. It's down 21% from peak. Lets hope it continues in the right direction. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks, but as Zoe use real data, rather than models I'm hoping its a good indicator. The NW is the only area still climbing.

mgb281

posted on 11/1/21 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
There’s no doubt that the person who started this thread is one of those conspiracy believers or else the two funeral director friends are incompetent. The number of excess deaths is real not imagined, the temporary morgues that are filling up with bodies is real not imagined. The whole problem is that these are not the normal misguided people but are using underhanded means to push their agenda. Whether filming out patient departments at night when they are deserted or the hospital cafes which are also closed due to government restrictions to try and persuade us that hospitals are empty. These forums are being used to spread their dangerous rhetoric, fortunately there are more visiting this forum with more sense and first hand knowledge of this devastating disease. Life will never be the same again but with the vaccines that are now being used it will get better. The efficacy of the vaccines is more than 90% not 60% as has been stated.
As for complaining that you are volunteering to administer the vaccine and are made to undergo some training, so what’s the problem? My wife is a practice nurse with over 45 years experience, she has been running flu clinics and children’s immunisation clinics for years and she had to undergo training. She is working extra hours to help vaccinate more people despite being over retirement age, it’s no big deal it’s what she trained to do.
So if you are one of those that peddle lies and conspiracy theories go and join Donald Trump, who is equally mentally deficient!Probably I will be thrown out of the forum for posting this but if everyone kept to the two metre rule, wore a face mask AND did not socialise in groups we would not be in this position.
End of rant

David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/21 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps the problem with the training is that competent personnel are having to do the same training as novices - "one size fits all" training. Perhaps some adjustment is required....

As for staying your views - everyone on this forum is entitled to speak their mind, as long as they can cope with the responses. You do have to be extremely offensive to get chucked off. I think it's only happens a couple of times.

joneh

posted on 11/1/21 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking of conspiracy theories.

quote:

... if everyone kept to the two metre rule, wore a face mask AND did not socialise in groups we would not be in this position

steve m

posted on 11/1/21 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
There’s no doubt that the person who started this thread is one of those conspiracy believers or else the two funeral director friends are incompetent. The number of excess deaths is real not imagined, the temporary morgues that are filling up with bodies is real not imagined. The whole problem is that these are not the normal misguided people but are using underhanded means to push their agenda. Whether filming out patient departments at night when they are deserted or the hospital cafes which are also closed due to government restrictions to try and persuade us that hospitals are empty. These forums are being used to spread their dangerous rhetoric, fortunately there are more visiting this forum with more sense and first hand knowledge of this devastating disease. Life will never be the same again but with the vaccines that are now being used it will get better. The efficacy of the vaccines is more than 90% not 60% as has been stated.
As for complaining that you are volunteering to administer the vaccine and are made to undergo some training, so what’s the problem? My wife is a practice nurse with over 45 years experience, she has been running flu clinics and children’s immunisation clinics for years and she had to undergo training. She is working extra hours to help vaccinate more people despite being over retirement age, it’s no big deal it’s what she trained to do.
So if you are one of those that peddle lies and conspiracy theories go and join Donald Trump, who is equally mentally deficient!Probably I will be thrown out of the forum for posting this but if everyone kept to the two metre rule, wore a face mask AND did not socialise in groups we would not be in this position.
End of rant

I started this thread, and if you had the common decency to read the WHOLE thread, yes all four pages, doesnt take too long, it will become quite apparent that i am a firm believer that there is something out there that kills, and as i have to shield, due health and breathing problems

As for both relatives, neither has worked since last year, In the Funeral Buisness, Deaths may be up significantly, Proper funerals have not !

steve

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.