Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A Legendary Interview
John Bonnett

posted on 30/9/20 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
A Legendary Interview

So many times an interview is ruined by damn fool questions from the interviewer but, in my view anyway, Harry is completely in tune with what GM has strived to achieve and the interview just flows along. Absolutely inspirational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT8PMXCMrsM

[Edited on 2/10/20 by John Bonnett]

James

posted on 30/9/20 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Exciting car and have seen a few of the videos now (obviously was one of the first to put my name down for one ;-) ).

Has anyone actually seen a video with the engine running?

Are they waiting for enough names to be on the list before they take the next stage of actually getting them running?

I just want to hear some 12,000rpm brm brm!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

pigeondave

posted on 30/9/20 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
This guy does a good engineering type video on the T50
https://youtu.be/Z-Z1lFK1b5o

the downforce video
https://youtu.be/pSete8Q1kM8

The closest you'll get is the Valkyrie is about the only thing that close where you can here the noise.

[Edited on 30/9/20 by pigeondave]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 1/10/20 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
To the OP...

I quite enjoy Harry's Garage on YouTube - he often reviews cars I like and does it (IMHO) with sense and knowledge rather than tyre squeal and doughnuts.

WRT to the GM interview I'd watched it a week or so ago and enjoyed it as well. Both of them seem pretty down to earth and realistic about the actual purpose of a car. I particularly liked the comments on not using 22" wheels (a personal bug-bear of mine that car wheels seem to get larger every year for fashion rather than actual driveability of the car).

Thanks for posting the link!

John Bonnett

posted on 1/10/20 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
To the OP...

I quite enjoy Harry's Garage on YouTube - he often reviews cars I like and does it (IMHO) with sense and knowledge rather than tyre squeal and doughnuts.

WRT to the GM interview I'd watched it a week or so ago and enjoyed it as well. Both of them seem pretty down to earth and realistic about the actual purpose of a car. I particularly liked the comments on not using 22" wheels (a personal bug-bear of mine that car wheels seem to get larger every year for fashion rather than actual driveability of the car).

I can relate to GMs values as well Nick. Things like offset pedals from the steering, gimmicky LEDs and of course ridiculously large wheels are all pet hates of mine. He said that there is nothing on his car that he does't like or would change and in a much smaller way, I'm hoping to say the same thing about mine when it's finished.

nick205

posted on 1/10/20 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:
To the OP...

I can relate to GMs values as well Nick. Things like offset pedals from the steering, gimmicky LEDs and of course ridiculously large wheels are all pet hates of mine. He said that there is nothing on his car that he does't like or would change and in a much smaller way, I'm hoping to say the same thing about mine when it's finished.

Couldn't agree more John

I think that's the beauty of designing/build the car yourself.

nick205

posted on 3/10/20 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just watched some another Harry's Garage on YouTube where he reviews the 205 GTI 1.9. Another great video (helped by being of my favourite car). Yet again Harry talks sense IMHO about the era and the car.
John Bonnett

posted on 3/10/20 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just watched some another Harry's Garage on YouTube where he reviews the 205 GTI 1.9. Another great video (helped by being of my favourite car). Yet again Harry talks sense IMHO about the era and the car.

I really like Harry's presentations and it was on the strength of his Lotus Elan review in Harry's diaries and in particular the tyres fitted to it that I bought a set of Michelin XASs for the Lightweight. Not only do they look period but are built to modern specification and the grip was astounding. I only used the car in anger once which was on La Coupe Florio and I just could not unstick it on the roundabouts. At that point the engine was only producing 65bhp at the wheels but we were on terms with a 170bhp Lotus Cortina and others just by virtue of decent grip and a nimble car. I like nimble cars! Here's a clip if you are really bored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rtCbygnIM&t=9s

But getting back to the thread I find it difficult to imagine a better presenter and interviewer than Harry and if you watch him on Prescott in the Project 8 he's a good pedaller as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoz1AMkjOuA&t=3s

PS Great review of the 205GTi 1.9. I was so disappointed with my MK2 Golf GTI which as Harry said was overweight so I traded it in for a 1.9 205GTI in 1987 and nothing burnt that off. It certainly did go into oversteer very easily. I loved it.

[Edited on 3/10/20 by John Bonnett]

Sam_68

posted on 4/10/20 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
...if you watch him on Prescott in the Project 8 he's a good pedaller as well.

His experience hillclimbing his Elan goes back many, many years.

He's a member at Prescott, I believe - I certainly bumped into him there a number of times when I lived on that side of the country.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.