Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how do I find out if my donor Sierra uses unleaded?
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/10/20 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
how do I find out if my donor Sierra uses unleaded?

Hi,

Tried in vain to download the owners manual. I'm trying to find out if my 92 Sierra 1.6 pinto is already suitable for unleaded. My 92 Bluebirds were so I'd have thought so but how do I check?

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 5/10/20 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
They were all unleaded ok from 89 onward, the timing may need adjusting for unleaded but that has most likely been done.

Dave

steve m

posted on 5/10/20 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure there was a mark on the head on Pintos, might be worth googling it
As trhe head could of been changed, and may not be an unleaded one

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Dingz

posted on 5/10/20 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.rhocar.org/index.php?/forums/topic/48593-16-pinto-cylinderhead-unleaded/&tab=comments#comment-399531
Look at this link on the Rhocar site it should answer your question. It’s been covered lots of times on there, use the search system but you may have to try a few options.

[Edited on 5/10/20 by Dingz]

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

snapper

posted on 5/10/20 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
All engines produced after 01/89 are suitable for use with unleaded fuel. For all other engines, an identification mark (adjacent to No 4 spark plug) must be present to designate suitability for unleaded. These are:
* 1.6 - M, MM or N, NN
* 1.8 - S, SS
* 2.0 - P, PP or R, RR

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/10/20 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers its definitely the original head as the donor has only done 13.5k. The head is marked with a 92 so it is the same year. At the back of the head on a flat, that people say is the letter that tells you it is marked with a N, but I can't find that one. The engine as you can expect is mint inside so not keen on splitting the head of just to check.

Tried the search on the RHOCAR, can't find anything normally on it..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/10/20 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
All engines produced after 01/89 are suitable for use with unleaded fuel. For all other engines, an identification mark (adjacent to No 4 spark plug) must be present to designate suitability for unleaded. These are:
* 1.6 - M, MM or N, NN
* 1.8 - S, SS
* 2.0 - P, PP or R, RR

Ah well done, you must have been typing that at the same time so yes it definitely has a big N at that location.

Thanks very much

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.