Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making an auxiliary air tank from an old LPG bottle.
tilly819

posted on 24/10/20 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Making an auxiliary air tank from an old LPG bottle.

Hi all,

Here are my latest efforts in the workshop. Seems to be working well so far. Not blown myself up anyway...

Hope you enjoy the video.
Cheers,
Tilly.

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

jacko

posted on 24/10/20 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work
Can I say why you would need a second tank or is it because you do spraying
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/20 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a great idea tbh, they are really well made and often just lying about. I used one to make a very powerful underseal sprayer with terrific results and only cost a few pounds to make.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 24/10/20 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the headline for this post, and thought of two things,
1: mount it so it drains.
2: paint it so it doesn't look like a propane tank
thankfully you did both

indykid

posted on 24/10/20 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've just done similar with a 47kg cylinder. I opted to weld a boss in the bottom as having filled the bottle with water to purge it, I found the boss for the valve protrudes into the cylinder and trapped water so it would never fully drain.

I see you've put a ball valve on to isolate the cylinder, but do you still have a pressure relief valve? The calor bottles have a 26bar PRV built into the valve body but as I've junked the original valve body, I've put a 10bar valve in a T to mitigate the risk of explosion in a fire. The bottle thread is 3/4 BSP should you want to use pipe fittings if you do another one.

How do you find the smell of the air after it's been in the propane bottle? I haven't used my 47kg cylinder in anger yet, but the 19kg one I did before still had enough stenchant in it to make the air smell bad for quite a while. I chucked some gravel in this big one and rolled it round the lawn for a bit so I'm hoping it's not quite so pungent.

v8kid

posted on 25/10/20 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nice Video as usual.

For others copying this project the thread in the propane tank is a standard BSPT thread and it costs only a couple of quid for a BSPT to compression adaptor from toolstation/screwfix and saves you a lot of machining plus having a larger bore. IIRC 22mm pipe has a higher burst pressure than 15mm. Also I find thread sealing fluid is more reliable than PTFE tape.

Is the polythene tube connector OK? I can't be arsed googling it but I guess you've done the homework.

In the past I used a similar technique to make a vacuum chamber to suck oil out of dry sump tanks - any other uses for old propane tanks apart from heaters that is

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

Simon

posted on 26/10/20 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just to state the obvious and ensure tank has (as in this case) been purged - we had a local chap kill himself a few years back trying to make a bbq from an oil drum/gas cylnder that exploded when he cut into it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.