Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Renewal after SORN
Paul27

posted on 26/10/20 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
MOT Renewal after SORN

Hopefully somebody can help with a query about having an MOT after SORN.

I built a Fisher Fury a number of years ago which was tested and registered and run on the road for a few years. For a number of reasons it has been off the road for quite some time and SORN applied for. However, the current restrictions due to COVID have given me time to sort the many jobs that need doing on the car and it should be fully sorted by the spring.

My question is with the car being off the road for so long will only a standard MOT pass be sufficient to make it road legal again or is some other form of testing required?

Than you

Paul

russbost

posted on 26/10/20 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Just an MoT is only legal requirement, sounds as tho' you're having a good look around the car anyway, I'd take a good look at tyres if it's been standing for a while as can result in tyres being out of shape or sidewall cracks appearing - you don't want a tyre to let go on the way to MoT.

You obviously need insurance in place, but you're legal to drive to & from a pre-booked MoT without road tax, best to aim at putting back on the road near the start of a month as avoids paying for a month of tax you've not used

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Paul27

posted on 26/10/20 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks very much appreciated

Regards

Paul

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/10/20 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Don't give the DVSA idea's
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
watsonpj

posted on 26/10/20 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I did my fury last year after being off the road for 5 years and just a standard MOT was all that was required along with insurance.

Had to bed the brakes in a bit on the way so make sure you have a bit of a run.

best of luck Pete

Paul27

posted on 26/10/20 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete,

Doing a fair bit of work on the car so it will need a good shake down before I visit the test centre.

The car has been garaged since it has been off the road and raised off the ground on a hydraulic hoist so hopefully the bits I am not doing any work on will be ok.

Going to enjoy a good few months now back in the man cave and at least I should have something to thank COVID for!

Regards

Paul

rash12

posted on 26/10/20 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
mot

paul27 where are you in the country we are a kit friendly garage in north lincs if that helps
Paul27

posted on 26/10/20 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Based in South Wales near Cardiff, so unfortunately a bit of a distance from you.

Regards

Paul

scudderfish

posted on 27/10/20 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
You did say it needed a good shake down
Johnmor

posted on 29/10/20 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
As in understand it, if its more than 40 yasr old it doesent even need and MOT,

next year my lancia Beta spider will be 40 , rusty as hell and it wont need an MOT , brilliant

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.