Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ok so how is this wrong???
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/20 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so how is this wrong???

Is that really saying that a kit car that's over 10 year old, which isn't registered, even if it's never been through the SVA or the IVA, you basically just apply for a registration number from the DVLA and that's it?! If not what does it refer to? mind I'm just going by what their rules seem to say, not trying to make stuff up here.

here it is again...

I mean I my kit's from 2005 lol

This is on the DVLA registration page linky I'm just following the steps on the website...

[Edited on 9/12/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 9/12/20 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Think you've highlighted the wrong section at the top, unless you have a commercial vehicle that's a kit, I assume you mean the next para down

This has been around for ages, it is VERY open to misinterpretation & some people have definitely registered some vehicles that should have been tested & haven't been in this way, however, it can't be done legitimately for a kit

I've had discussions with VOSA/DVLA b4 about what that is meant to mean. It is intended for vehicles which are already registered in another country, are 10 years old & imported to the UK, they only need to get an MoT & re-register. There has been discussion b4 about whether something like a race car or a golf buggy could be registered providing you have proof it's over 10 years old. I'm quite sure the regulation is not intended to cover such vehicles & my belief is that, IF you managed to register something like that in this way then it could subsequently be deemed to be incorrectly registered, seized & crushed - probably not that extreme, but would you want to take the chance?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/20 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ah so you have filled in the missing details the DVLA seem to have left out. What you say makes sense though, thanks for clarifying

It's interesting as there is a similar rule for buildings that after 10 years require no approval which I've used myself quite a few times including the house I'm in. I was wondering if it was related in some obscure legal way...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 9/12/20 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Light goods vehicle?
nick205

posted on 9/12/20 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Think you've highlighted the wrong section at the top, unless you have a commercial vehicle that's a kit, I assume you mean the next para down

This has been around for ages, it is VERY open to misinterpretation & some people have definitely registered some vehicles that should have been tested & haven't been in this way, however, it can't be done legitimately for a kit

I've had discussions with VOSA/DVLA b4 about what that is meant to mean. It is intended for vehicles which are already registered in another country, are 10 years old & imported to the UK, they only need to get an MoT & re-register. There has been discussion b4 about whether something like a race car or a golf buggy could be registered providing you have proof it's over 10 years old. I'm quite sure the regulation is not intended to cover such vehicles & my belief is that, IF you managed to register something like that in this way then it could subsequently be deemed to be incorrectly registered, seized & crushed - probably not that extreme, but would you want to take the chance?

Is this in any way related to when cars are imported from Japan (for example) and re-registered in the UK?

When I took my kit for SVA in Southampton there was a stream of Japanese cars being churned through the test centre (straight from the ships to the test centre).

Just curious.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/20 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
It must apply to many cars really as anything like a barn find or even cars from the 90s wouldn't stand a chance of passing the IVA. Even my robinhood had zero chance passing without the extensive modifications I'm doing to it. Not convinced it doesn't apply to kit cars tbh.
russbost

posted on 9/12/20 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that it would only apply to a kit if you could prove it had been previously registered elsewhere. If you were importing a kit from the US for example & could show registration in a state there, then I believe that would just require MoT & registration with DVLA.

I'd love to be proved wrong!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Benzine

posted on 9/12/20 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Start your own country called Whippyland, maybe using a small island off the coast of Scotland. Register the car there then import?
Simon

posted on 11/12/20 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've looked at that several times over the last couple of years and have come to the conclusion that my mid-engined V8 Beetle, with scratch built chassis etc etc won't need IVA etc as a) it's over 10 years old, b) the modification improve safety and c) they also improve performance
CosKev3

posted on 11/12/20 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My understanding is that it would only apply to a kit if you could prove it had been previously registered elsewhere. If you were importing a kit from the US for example & could show registration in a state there, then I believe that would just require MoT & registration with DVLA.

Got to be this.

How would you proove a unregistered kit was over 10 years old?

If it was that easy you would have brand new kit car owners just saying the car was over 10 years old,why would anyone go for a IVA?

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/12/20 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

Got to be this.

How would you proove a unregistered kit was over 10 years old?

If it was that easy you would have brand new kit car owners just saying the car was over 10 years old,why would anyone go for a IVA?

I have receipts for everything with dates, my full kit was sold on 15/12/05 by GBS, the donor Sierra was 1992. The only new thing so far is a pair of seats.

rusty nuts

posted on 11/12/20 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I've looked at that several times over the last couple of years and have come to the conclusion that my mid-engined V8 Beetle, with scratch built chassis etc etc won't need IVA etc as a) it's over 10 years old, b) the modification improve safety and c) they also improve performance

The way I see it ,because it now has an altered chassis it now need IVA?

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/12/20 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well way I see it i have absolutely nothing to lose. Finsh the car, send in the receipts, say well its way over 10 years old, they can either say its exempt or no you need to put it through an IVA. No big deal as I'm building it to the IVA standard anyway, it may just save me a cost of a test and extra hassle. When I'm at that stage I'll let you know how I got on
russbost

posted on 12/12/20 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I would make sure you only send in copy receipts they are amazingly good at losing stuff, I always send anything going to DVLA or VOSA by recorded delivery - they still lose it, but strangely magically find it when you point out it was signed for on a specific date & produce the evidence!

Be interested to hear what they say, please do let us know how it pans out

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/12/20 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I would make sure you only send in copy receipts they are amazingly good at losing stuff, I always send anything going to DVLA or VOSA by recorded delivery - they still lose it, but strangely magically find it when you point out it was signed for on a specific date & produce the evidence!

Cheers that's a very good point

Deckman001

posted on 12/12/20 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
When I got my chassis number from them this year, I explained it was built 14-16 years ago and gave them the donor vehicle registration number. They just replied, we have all of the donor vehicles on register so you may get an age related plate one you get your IVA application approved and tested correctly and then apply to register my vehicle.

Jason

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/12/20 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
When I got my chassis number from them this year, I explained it was built 14-16 years ago and gave them the donor vehicle registration number. They just replied, we have all of the donor vehicles on register so you may get an age related plate one you get your IVA application approved and tested correctly and then apply to register my vehicle.

Jason

Certainly interesting, although what was being queried was there an exemption from the whole IVA test seeing that their site seems to suggest a car over 10 years old does not require one and would that also include kit cars? Maybe not they don't seem to say it doesn't.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.