Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How long should you let cellulose paint dry before you cut / polish it ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
How long should you let cellulose paint dry before you cut / polish it ?

I' m just waiting for my SVA date to come through, so thought I would finish a few odd jobs on the car. I had some cellulose paint mixed to match the GRP colour. I sprayed a few areas on the nose cone where I had modified / repaired it. Used plastic primer and made sure to warm the garage up with a fan heater before I started.

Just wondered how long to leave it before attacking it with the G3 compound ?

[Edited on 30/1/05 by givemethebighammer]

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
A full month, the celly dries (it never cures) from the inside out. Do not seal it with polish or it will never fully dry. G3 has an agent in it to fill microscratches in 2K piant and will seal your celly.

Not what you wanted to hear - sorry

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

givemethebighammer

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark, A month is not an issue just wondered how long to leave it. But are you saying I should not use the G3 compound at all on the cellulose ?. Shame if this is the case as it brings the GRP up a treat.
chunkielad

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Defo don't use G3 - I leave 2K paint for a month (lots of over kill) before I do my G3 and polish just to make sure it's cured.

As mentioned, cellulose doesn't cure so AT LEAST a month is recommended mate and G3 WILL seal it up, leaving it soft and useless!!

Any standard, cheap compund should work, Halfrauds do a cheap one in a tube (like a plastic toothpaste tube) and if you add water to it, the shine is great!!!

NS Dev

posted on 30/1/05 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have used G3 on cellulose on several cars now (full sized ones not sevens) with no probs..................don't understand the issue!!! Make sure the paint has fully dried before using it, that's all!

Spray the celly in the summer in the baking sun and leave a month or two before cutting back!

[Edited on 30/1/05 by NS Dev]

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/1/05 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunkielad
Defo don't use G3 - I leave 2K paint for a month (lots of over kill) before I do my G3 and polish just to make sure it's cured.

As mentioned, cellulose doesn't cure so AT LEAST a month is recommended mate and G3 WILL seal it up, leaving it soft and useless!!

You can use G3 on 2k as soon as it has cooled to below 20°C - which is usually about 20 minutes. you can use G3 on Celly after a full dry - which is usually about a month.

Any standard, cheap compund should work, Halfrauds do a cheap one in a tube (like a plastic toothpaste tube) and if you add water to it, the shine is great!!!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

chunkielad

posted on 30/1/05 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
That's the problem exactly mate it stops drying so if you let it dry fully, first, no problem, use it. If it isn't dry, it'll never dry after G3 - that's all!
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/1/05 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunkielad
That's the problem exactly mate it stops drying so if you let it dry fully, first, no problem, use it. If it isn't dry, it'll never dry after G3 - that's all!

I agree completely, but 2K cures, not dries so you can use G3 as soon as it cools enough to touch it

NS Dev

posted on 30/1/05 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
ahhhhh, should have read before putting foot in mouth!

I see what you mean now! I'm afraid I'm of the grandad school of painting where celly was the norm so you just had to leave it ages before cutting...................no patience these younguns (and I'm 27!!)

chunkielad

posted on 30/1/05 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 28 and only used celly once!! I can't stand the stuff!!! Always use 2k and my supplier does a low cyanate one which means no air fed mask meeded. Cutting is possible after a week or two but I always leave it a month anyway as you can't be stripping and repainting over and over again!!!
NS Dev

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ahhhhh, interesting.

I like celly as it gives more leeway for an amateur like me in terms of paint finish (you can alter the thinners content to improve gloss etc) but the main reason I don't use 2 pack is the cyanate problem..........but, if I can get around that without the peeing around with an airfed mask then I may try it next time!

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
I use 'autopaint' based in Wigan but they are all over the country. Try Autopaint website and check the stockist list for someone in your area.

Sorry for the thread hijack!!!

Peteff

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Always use 2k and my supplier does a low cyanate one which means no air fed mask meeded

Did he tell you that, you might be able to use it in your claim.
Nsdev the best way to improve gloss in cellulose is with thinners quality, not quantity. A friend of mine who sprayed cars for a living for 40+ years and who never saw the need for a mask (he's now on invalidity and can't walk more than 200yds without a rest) would have cringed at the thought of doing anything to a paint job other than waxing it, especially in synthetic.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Peteff, I know what you mean about the pro's view. I have seen their standards, which as you say, shouldn't need cutting back.

Unfortunately, mine ain't quite that good, usually a bit matt in the corners, hence the cutting requirement!!!

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
It isn't just the guy at the shop who says it' low cyanate it's the packaging, the company, everything - they still recommend using an air fed mask but state it is not essential. This is a LARGE supplier of paint and all their training is done with 3M charcoal filtered Fly masks - the same ones used by crown paints (Akzo Nobel) when they make Gloss or any other solvent based paint. There is also the option of using water based!! I wouldn't like to try it myself and it HAD to be baked or will never dry never mind cure!!!

I've sprayed a lot of motorbikes over the last few years and in the short time I've been doing it, I've seen a DRAMATIC change in the products. They are a lot less harmful than they used to be and no where near as bad as 20 - 30 years ago. I personally take every possible option regarding safety but low cyanate has to be better than a high one whether using an air fed mask or not.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.