Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear Stick - Type 9
ttalps2000

posted on 26/1/21 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Gear Stick - Type 9

What gear sticks are people running with Type 9 box? Currently have the standard Ford stick that i cut down. Any main benefit with the Quaife type gear sticks?
pigeondave

posted on 26/1/21 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry but this sounds like a request for "show us a pic of your (gear) knob"

I won't send a pic, but I can describe it.

Like your one its just a cut down one. I had a guy weld on a slight extension after the previous owner had cut it down a bit too far and the hole in the ball was far too big for the shaft. The thicker extension was like a sleeve with holes in it which were welded through (plug welded?).

Its so much better now as the ball hasn't got that slight play in it as the thicker shaft was sized for more of an exact fit in the hole.

All of the above sounds like one massive double entendre, I apologise for nothing !!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ttalps2000

posted on 26/1/21 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
so you have a small shaft and a big hole in your balls You can get help with this sort of thing now....apparently

Thanks for your response though!

nick205

posted on 26/1/21 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
In my MK Indy (Pinto + Type 9) I used the standard Ford gear stick and knob. I bent the metal shaft of the gearstick a bit so it cleared the lower edge of my dash and put the knob in a better position when I was sat in the car. Others have fitted kits to reposition the gearstick further back towards the rear of the car. I didn't feel the need t spend the money myself.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/21 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve just bent the standard gear lever. The car came with a quick shift but it was sloppy and next to useless plus I’m not a fan of them so threw that in the bin. The standard lever arrangement works perfectly well.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 26/1/21 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
There's a couple of solutions - depends which you need?
1 - a quick shift, where it moves the pivot point, to mean you have to move the gear knob a shorter distance to make the gear change. In principle you could achieve the same thing (less throw in the gear lever) by cutting down the lever so it is shorter.

2- A remote setup - where the pivot point for the gear lever is moved backwards - i've seen links to diy arrangements people have made on here, or off the shelf kits are available.

Also, if you just need to move where the gear knob sits relative to the box you could extend/bend the lever like Nick mentions.

mikeb

posted on 26/1/21 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I did the simple gear lever mod to the type 9 lever, its the equivalent to the short shift kit so less throw. Just uses a three nuts as spacers and a hammer and drift to move the pivot point the same distance as the height of the spacer, worked well. There is a guide somewhere.

Thanks
Mike

ttalps2000

posted on 26/1/21 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
thank you for all the replies. I have a cut down standard ford stick at present, which is fine, but going to be fitting new gearbox shortly and wasnt sure if there was a decent upgrade to go with it, appears not
rusty nuts

posted on 26/1/21 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I also use a shortened standard gear-lever modified to a quick shift with a home made remote which brings the gear lever rewards by 5inches. Reverse stop and light still work as standard. Details should be on here somewhere
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/1/21 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I use a cut down gearstick. And then I tried a quickshift at the same length, but found so little movement was required it felt odd. So I would suggest one or the other. But that is just me.
rusty nuts

posted on 26/1/21 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.lathyrus.eu/

Hope the link works look under special tools and parts

[Edited on 26/1/21 by rusty nuts]

snapper

posted on 26/1/21 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have a modified and shortened gear shift, there is a useful description on how to do it on the Robin Hood website.
What you do is push the lever down through the pivot point then use a spacer (or in my case some 13mm nuts with the threads drilled out) to lift the lever thus getting more movement at the gearbox for less at the lever.
Works well and cheap as chips, therefore recommended in the spirit of LOCOST BUILDERS ethos

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

rusty nuts

posted on 27/1/21 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper

Works well and cheap as chips, therefore recommended in the spirit of LOCOST BUILDERS ethos

Mine cost the grand total of £0.92

JimSpencer

posted on 27/1/21 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I'll be the odd one out then.. Lol

The single best modification you can do to a type 9 is a good quick shift and an uprated saddle.
It transforms the gear change.

Personally it's a Quaife lever and the brass saddle from Burtons - both worth every penny IMHO.
However I suspect that its the brass saddle that's the vital ingredient, I reckon the DiY quick shift mod mentioned above coupled with this would be worth a bash if £'s are tight.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.