Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommendations for a drill set.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 15/2/21 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Recommendations for a drill set.

Can anyone recommend a decent drill set and where to buy it?

Not looking for comments like "you need the super coat mega tin covered ultra hard type" without any actual links or hearsay about what should be good. I want to buy a decent set but it seems to be a minefield of chinesium rubbish listed as good stuff, prices all over the place, counterfeit items and "brand names" I have never heard of. So first hand info and tried and tested recommendations please.

Looking for something with sizes from about 3 to 13mm, hopefully including tap drill sizes like 6.75mm rather than just whole and half sizes, hopefully a couple of each size.

Willing to spend a bit of money but I want to make sure the money is well spent and I only spend it once.

Help much appreciated.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 15/2/21 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own set from
https://www.ukdrills.com/tct-metric-drill-bit

I can honestly say they're epic. Hardened steel (oil coated turbo turbine bolts) that blunted my expensive HSS bits in one bolt were like butter too them.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 15/2/21 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I must say I can't complain about my Dormer bits. I got two sets; one is the 1-6.5mm set in 0.5mm increments (plus 4.2mm and 4.8mm rivet sizes), and the other is 6-10mm in 0.1mm increments. They were a bit expensive (£25 and 180 respectively), but I've only ever broken one bit in building a kit car and a Defender, whilst using my cordless hand drill - suspect I wobbled it a bit too much.

I did have a set of basic £10 Sunday boot sale 1-13mm bits that get used and abused by all and sundry, and then sharpened ready to be reused and re-abused next time. If they break, I tend to replace with Bosch bits on an "as and when" basis from the local hardware store, if only to ensure there's always a full set kicking around.

Good friend of mine swears by Dormer for his lathe work, but in his pillar drill he got full set of 1-13mm bits (2 boxes including every weird increment for riveting, tapping etc.) made by Presto at a significantly reduced rate compared to Dormer, and is more than happy with them.

At the end of the day, I tend to always use a bit of cutting compound when doing heavy drilling, and a proper bit sharpener from Clarke (if like me, you didn't grow up 'on the tools' and learn to do it on a grinder). Get decent bits, look after them, and they'll keep on going.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Russell

posted on 16/2/21 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Dormer. The challenge is finding a credible source that's not selling counterfeit items.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

ianhurley20

posted on 16/2/21 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I use mainly cobalt bits from

https://www.ukdrills.com/hss-drills/cobalt-metric-drill-bit

I bought mine originally as a set from UK drills but can't find the right bit of the web site at the moment. I have never blunted one (broken several though) and now will not use anything else. They do have a bit finder tool that is quite good if you want a drill bit for a specific purpose

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/2/21 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
Another vote for Dormer. The challenge is finding a credible source that's not selling counterfeit items.

This is my worry, I don't know who the suppliers are. There is so much rubbish for sale.

Been looking at UK drills, may make my own set up on the website.

I use Presto taps and they are awesome so may look up presto drills as well.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/2/21 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers all, ended up ordering from UK drills, a full cobalt set plus TCT drills in clearance and tapping sizes for M5 to M12 and a a couple more odd bits.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

indykid

posted on 18/2/21 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting that UK drills brand themselves as 'the professional's choice' yet only seem to sell own brand or off brand drills and chinese quality morse taper and hole saw stuff. It's more like an online autojumble stall.

Sign up for the Zoro mailing list and if you leave it long enough, they'll send you a 20% off discount code and you can get genuine branded industrial quality tooling at somewhat reasonable prices.

The best thing you can do with any drill is learn how to sharpen it on a bench grinder. A sharp cheap drill is better than a blunt Presto or Dormer in 95% of cases. There are plenty of youtube tutorials. Have a go next time you blunt one. What do you have to lose? (don't bother trying to resharpen the TCT ones if you chip them though, unless you have a green silicon carbide wheel or diamond wheel. You'll just turn the wheel to dust).

Edwardo

posted on 18/2/21 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I made my own set from
https://www.ukdrills.com/tct-metric-drill-bit

I can honestly say they're epic. Hardened steel (oil coated turbo turbine bolts) that blunted my expensive HSS bits in one bolt were like butter too them.

Thanks for the recommendation/link - Been meaning to buy a decent set of drill bits for ages, so just made up a tct set and ordered.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.