Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Next Fluids
the_big_1

posted on 27/4/21 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Next Fluids

Hi guys,

So up to almost last fluids, engine oil and coolant.... so close to to starting or should I say trying lol.
So 4.5L of engine oil required in my silver top blocked engine etc, what oil would you go for in early running in after New piston rings, new crank bearings etc.
For coolant, what type, mix and and estimated quantity? Obviously not precise due to golf radiator etc, just an idea.

Cheers!!!!

ReMan

posted on 28/4/21 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Personally and some would disagree i'm sure, but if this is an engine rebuild and new installation, I'd use cheap oil of the right grade and plain water to run it up and ascertain the quantities
Then if you do have a disaster, things to fix or leaks to resolve you don't lose it all.
If all is OK then put in your decent oil and antifreeze of choice

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

the_big_1

posted on 28/4/21 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi ya,

Was thinking that on the oil. Change it and filter after a few hours running. Will just water not have a heating temp change?

ReMan

posted on 28/4/21 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_big_1
Hi ya,

Was thinking that on the oil. Change it and filter after a few hours running. Will just water not have a heating temp change?

Yes I wasn’t thinking of long periods for either the water all the oil antifreeze is not just antifreeze and reduces the boiling temperature et cetera it was more about the advice of not throwing expensive oil and fluids for the first short run-up

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

the_big_1

posted on 28/4/21 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah was only thinking of a first start up, may be a few mins running to check for leaks etc.
Antifreeze / coolant isn't to expensive I guess worst case.
I guess I could start up with water, run a few mins to check for leaks, drop the water if all well and add the antifreeze mix. What's the correct oil spec and anti freeze spec?

steve m

posted on 28/4/21 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
In the past ive run cheapo Asda oil in my crossflows, just for starting up and checking for leaks

but on the road, would only use a better class of oil

As for the water, just clean normal tap water is fine for initial startup runs, but you must put antifreeze in as soon as your happy with the system,

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

the_big_1

posted on 28/4/21 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
What oil grade and anti freeze type for a silver top?
coyoteboy

posted on 28/4/21 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Amazon Basics oil goes in everything except my 370z, as it meets all requirements (for my engines) and is cheap and quickly delivered - after using it for a while I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DWGtXpYUc

For fluids - lob in some cheap coolant if you plan to get the engine up to temp - without it you may see localised boiling and reduction in cooling capability internal to the head/block areas which are not visible from the rad cap. Don't cheap out on a shiny new build in this area!

[Edited on 28/4/21 by coyoteboy]

the_big_1

posted on 28/4/21 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Is the amazon oil ok for running in, change piston rings and bearings. Doesn't mention if its synthetic etc etc.

What type anti freeze, is normal OAT type ok something like this but not from Halfords obviously lol

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5-litres-233536.html

coyoteboy

posted on 28/4/21 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
They have synthetic and dino I believe.

the_big_1

posted on 29/4/21 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,,

For running in phase, say first 100 miles, is this oil correct in the Zetec?

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-870-motul-4000-motion-10w-30-mineral-car-engine-oil.aspx?VariantID=1102

number-1

posted on 1/5/21 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Search ebay for item 121821319832 Its running in oil for new built engines. £22 delivered. Its not to be used for more than 500 miles but will do the job you need doing
the_big_1

posted on 1/5/21 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic!!!! Exactly what I was looking for!!!!

What coolant would you use?

number-1

posted on 1/5/21 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I just use the Triple QX red that Eurocarparts sell. I mixed mine 50/50 with de-ionised water.
the_big_1

posted on 14/5/21 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Started car on the run in oil and it's mega noisy, tappets banging like crazy, is the run in oil OK for a silver top???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Running-In-Oil-Breaking-In-Oil-SAE-30-5L-5-Litres-/121821319832?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

number-1

posted on 16/5/21 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
How long did you have the engine started using the oil?

Did you Prime the engine before start up?...IE remove crank position sensor, ensure the fuel isnt connected then turn the key and watch the oil light until it goes out. That way you know the oil is being moved around and you are ok to reconnect the fuel and CPS and finally start the car.

the_big_1

posted on 16/5/21 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya,

I did yes. Oil pressure was well up. Had the engine running for 5 mins. Oil pressure around 5 bar. Need to find a semi synthetic 5-30W oil

number-1

posted on 16/5/21 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like you've done everything correct so wouldn't worry too much. If you are worried then go for a CHEAP 5w 30 as this still needs to be thrown away after a couple of hundred miles. Part of the bedding in procedure is also to flush the engine of any swarf etc which the bedding in oil has probably done. The cylinder needs to build up pressure to allow the piston rings to expand and seat etc so do everything right for proper results.
the_big_1

posted on 16/5/21 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya,

Yeah, next plan is to run some semi synthetic 5-30W for a few hundred miles then change it. Will this oil do? Work correctly with tappets etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XUQTDC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_6XF3BC40MT3FRQRB0F14

number-1

posted on 16/5/21 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Also....ask these guys about what to use for your intended set up. I know a few guys that race cars and will only use these. They will happily answer any questions you may have

Oil

number-1

posted on 16/5/21 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_big_1
Hi ya,

Yeah, next plan is to run some semi synthetic 5-30W for a few hundred miles then change it. Will this oil do? Work correctly with tappets etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XUQTDC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_6XF3BC40MT3FRQRB0F14

Thats the oil i have in my Zetec and its fine. I think it might even be specifically for the Silvertop Zetec engine

the_big_1

posted on 16/5/21 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Will get the Amazon stuff, not a bad price!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.