Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Jaguar AJV6 oil filter housing and oil cooler
mgb281

posted on 29/5/21 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap Jaguar AJV6 oil filter housing and oil cooler

I have found a cheap, simple and compact oil filter and cooler solution for these engines. I have bought a Renault 1.5DCI oil filter housing (£11 inc postage) which will fit straight onto the engine with a cheap (£2) m20 male to M22 male hydraulic connector. The Renault oil filter adapter has an angle of 15 degrees which is not enough for it to hang vertically but at an angle. To fit an oil cooler unscrew the oil filter tread and replace with one long enough for your oil cooler, I bought a Peugeot 306 HDI cooler and connecting mount for £12 which screws straight onto the Renault oil filter housing. £25 in total for the lot. The only thing you have to be aware of is that the cheap adapter may need the nut thinning down otherwise you will have a 2mm gap between block and filter housing otherwise Mocal sell the correct part for £11.49
Out of interest is everybody using oil coolers or they not needed?

Oddified

posted on 29/5/21 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Laminova oil cooler on mine. With a turbo fitted, under piston oil jets and pushing a few ponies, the Duratec v6 engines need one.
CosKev3

posted on 29/5/21 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going on track you deffo need one,just road use I'm not so sure.
Mine with a air to oil cooler fitted with a thermo plate under normal road driving runs the oil a bit cold.

sdh2903

posted on 29/5/21 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Only had mine on road (so far) and all temps are well under control with no oil cooler and that's with a reduced oil qty due to the sump I'm using. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough
Partofthechaos

posted on 2/6/21 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
I have found a cheap, simple and compact oil filter and cooler solution for these engines. I have bought a Renault 1.5DCI oil filter housing (£11 inc postage) which will fit straight onto the engine with a cheap (£2) m20 male to M22 male hydraulic connector. The Renault oil filter adapter has an angle of 15 degrees which is not enough for it to hang vertically but at an angle. To fit an oil cooler unscrew the oil filter tread and replace with one long enough for your oil cooler, I bought a Peugeot 306 HDI cooler and connecting mount for £12 which screws straight onto the Renault oil filter housing. £25 in total for the lot. The only thing you have to be aware of is that the cheap adapter may need the nut thinning down otherwise you will have a 2mm gap between block and filter housing otherwise Mocal sell the correct part for £11.49
Out of interest is everybody using oil coolers or they not needed?

Sounds excellent! Do you have any photos? I'm currently trying to work out the engine mounts, so this would become part of that process.

mgb281

posted on 2/6/21 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you search “Renault 1.5DCI oil filter housing “ on eBay you should find one. As is common these days there’s several permutations and the one you want has the attachment bolt with female threads. This screws onto the M20 male end of the M20 male m22 male hydraulic adapter, the m22 end screws into the block. At this point you have the oil filter housing that can be rotated on that fixing to almost every position except vertically downward. If you want the oil cooler as well then choose the Peugeot version that suits your installation best, they vary in thickness from 37mm to over70mm , obviously the thicker ones have more plates and greater cooling ability. Then purchase the matched pair of cooler and mounting bolt, the oil filter then screws onto the end. The only reason to use Peugeot/Citroen is that they use the sameM20 threads as Renault. Nissan use the same Renault engine and the same oil filter adapter. Ford and VAG use mostly BSP. I needed something compact in a MGB and this fits perfectly at a 45 degree angle backwards and downward.
mgb281

posted on 2/6/21 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Mine with a air to oil cooler fitted with a thermo plate under normal road driving runs the oil a bit cold.

The advantage of the oil/water cooler is that the oil temperature is close to water temperature, giving quicker warm up and never over cooling. You may need a bigger radiator though. An excellent electric fan is from a pre year 2000 Volvo cars. They are very powerful two speeds and the relay pack plugs into the side of the fan housing. You just need to attach a power supply, earth and a double thermostatic fan switch. You then have a simple, reliable fan setup, mine cost £30 but I waited a few months to get one that cheaply. Normally around £40 including the relays.

Partofthechaos

posted on 3/6/21 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Are the oil passages a similar size? I am thinking that if they are too small there could be a reduced flow, so that there would be additional pressure on the pump and slower cooling / lubrication to the important bits. As long as the passages in this mount are similar I am sure it would be fine.
mgb281

posted on 3/6/21 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you are just using the Renault oil filter housing with no oil cooler then you will find the difference is insignificant. I have the following oil filter housings, Renault 1.5dci, Ford ST220, Jaguar S Type and Jaguar XKV8 and the smallest oil passage is on the S Type. The oil flow through the coolers is unknown unless you do flow testing. They all have one thing in common and that is their diameter give or take a couple of mm. Peugeot use three different thicknesses of oil cooler on the 2.0 hid engine, in a previous life I had many years experience with plate coolers, the more plates gave higher flow with better cooling. I am surmising that the thinner cooler with less plates has larger gaps between the plates to get the same litres per hour flow rate. If you are concerned you could use the Ford ST220 or XK8 coolers due to the S Type one being unsuitable. I hope this helps.
mgb281

posted on 3/6/21 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you are just using the Renault oil filter housing with no oil cooler then you will find the difference is insignificant. I have the following oil filter housings, Renault 1.5dci, Ford ST220, Jaguar S Type and Jaguar XKV8 and the smallest oil passage is on the S Type. The oil flow through the coolers is unknown unless you do flow testing. They all have one thing in common and that is their diameter give or take a couple of mm. Peugeot use three different thicknesses of oil cooler on the 2.0 hid engine, in a previous life I had many years experience with plate coolers, the more plates gave higher flow with better cooling. I am surmising that the thinner cooler with less plates has larger gaps between the plates to get the same litres per hour flow rate. If you are concerned you could use the Ford ST220 or XK8 coolers due to the S Type one being unsuitable. I hope this helps.
Partofthechaos

posted on 3/6/21 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, thank you!
mgb281

posted on 3/6/21 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Interestingly VW and most Fords use 3/4” (19mm) other European mostly 20mm, its only relatively recently that Ford has changed to 22mm for its oil filter/cooler connections.
To help you find the size you require search oil cooler in car parts on eBay, then select by brand, NRF, Febi and Nissens tend to give some or all dimensions and plate numbers. Although Peugeot use M20 threads their oil coolers have a 23.6mm bore.

[Edited on 4/6/21 by mgb281]

RWD Focus

posted on 30/6/21 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack the thread, I saw the answer to my question on here a long time ago but can't find it now. On the Jag AJ30 engine there are 2 oil type switches/senders. One has 1 wire, 1 has 2 wires, is the 1 wire oil light and the 2 wire oil temp?
Thank you for any help

CosKev3

posted on 30/6/21 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RWD Focus
Sorry to hijack the thread, I saw the answer to my question on here a long time ago but can't find it now. On the Jag AJ30 engine there are 2 oil type switches/senders. One has 1 wire, 1 has 2 wires, is the 1 wire oil light and the 2 wire oil temp?
Thank you for any help

Yeah

CosKev3

posted on 30/6/21 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

The advantage of the oil/water cooler is that the oil temperature is close to water temperature, giving quicker warm up and never over cooling. You may need a bigger radiator though. An excellent electric fan is from a pre year 2000 Volvo cars. They are very powerful two speeds and the relay pack plugs into the side of the fan housing. You just need to attach a power supply, earth and a double thermostatic fan switch. You then have a simple, reliable fan setup, mine cost £30 but I waited a few months to get one that cheaply. Normally around £40 including the relays.

Oil/water cooler wasn't good enough on track for the AJ30 in the tight confines of a fibreglass kit car!

RWD Focus

posted on 1/7/21 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you CosKev3

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.