Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Stamping VIN
bud44

posted on 30/5/21 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Stamping VIN

Hello,

first post

I am trying to stamp a VIN number to the chassis, this is not on a Locust but something I need to get through an IVA ( new vehicle)
I seem to have made a pigs ear of it ( spacing), well the first 3 letters anyway.The letters are nicely defined, or rather were until I ground them back.
It is on a steel tube, i did however flat the top of it so as the stamps engage nice and true.
I have decided to get a plate made and then weld it in place, question is were do I get one made?
I have sent a message to a chap on here that did this kind of thing, so awaiting a response hopefully.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=166395

Its kind of holding up the whole project at the moment, I want the welding to be out the way obviously.
I am a little annoyed with myself as I purchased a set of pryor stamps and holder to do the job, now going on ebay !
Any know where I can get this done ?

thanks very much

gremlin1234

posted on 30/5/21 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
since you already have the stamps, perhaps you should take some steel plate, and try again.
and doing it 'on the bench' you should be able to use a block of some-form to rest the punches against, so they line up more easily.

once done, cut plate out, and weld in place. (note, continuous weld all sides!)

ps, is the vin one you made-up yourself, or did you get one from DVLA? - reason for asking is some letters are not permitted in VIN.

pps, I see its your first post, - Welcome!

[Edited on 30/5/21 by gremlin1234]

bud44

posted on 30/5/21 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Yes, it is a DVLA supplied VIN, think I asked for it about 3 years ago.
I did ask if I could make up own but they said they had to issue it.

As others have said it was a painless exercise , very fast and efficient service; in-fact I have asked them several questions and always had a timely response which has been answered concisely addressing my concerns.
It makes a change from the copy and paste responses.

heading into the workshop now.

CosKev3

posted on 30/5/21 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
since you already have the stamps, perhaps you should take some steel plate, and try again.
and doing it 'on the bench' you should be able to use a block of some-form to rest the punches against, so they line up more easily.

once done, cut plate out, and weld in place. (note, continuous weld all sides!)

ps, is the vin one you made-up yourself, or did you get one from DVLA? - reason for asking is some letters are not permitted in VIN.

pps, I see its your first post, - Welcome!

[Edited on 30/5/21 by gremlin1234]

Agreed,do this

ianhurley20

posted on 30/5/21 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I typed the VIN number into Word and printed it out, glued it to a strip of metal and used it as a guide for my dremel and ground it into the surface, then welded into place. My attempts at stamping it in were rubbish as well!
( had to do it 3 times as I did it too early in the build and then put engine mounts or bodywork where I had stamped the number so think carefully where you put it!)

Deckman001

posted on 31/5/21 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I tried to stamp the VIN number straight onto the chassis rail. It failed completely as the chassis rails deformed each time i tried the stamp. So i eventually got some flat plate steel and from what i remember was about 5 attempts before I got it usable so make sure you practice well and make sure the fingers holding the stamps are out of the way, I used a pair of grips to stop them flying off after being hit at a slight angle lol

Once you have a good looking plate, re check the number is correct, then get it fully welded into or onto the chassis rail, make sure it is welded on all four sides too

Jason

big_wasa

posted on 31/5/21 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think I would enquire if Mk would do me one on a piece of tube and weld it in.

They do a YouTube vid every week and it shows them doing there's

big_wasa

posted on 31/5/21 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
6 minutes in

Edwardo

posted on 2/6/21 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I just popped into the Timpsons inside our local Tesco with a bit of cutoff box section.

He engraved it in 5mm high characters. Not the greatest job (especially the S at the beginning). I did ask him to try and get the characters as deep as possible in the steel though and to be fair he did explain that the deeper he went the more clarity it would lose. The first couple of passes were a lot clearer and I should have left it at that.

Anyway - was only £10.20 so was worth it for the hassle it saved and will be clear enough even with a thin coat of paint on top :-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.