Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Feeling sad...
David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/21 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Feeling sad...

Took the Locost for its MOT today - passed, with a couple of "you need to sort that out" comments from the friendly tester - but afterwards I realised that I'd driven the grand total of 500 miles since this time last year.

Now I need to sort out an oil seal on one side of my English axle, adjust/replace a front bearing, and maybe replace the rear brake shoes due to that oil seal. None of the problems warranted a fail, but he let me off the advisories. As it happens, I've been going to that garage for years, and he knows I'll fix these ASAP.

[Edited on 3/6/21 by David Jenkins]

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/6/21 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
But why have you driven it so little? Are there any improvements you could make that allows you to make more use of it? Sounds like nothing more than a Saturday mornings worth of work to fix the car.

I still have that Robinhood hood and side screens for sale btw.

[Edited on 3/6/21 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/21 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's just a combination of lousy weather, lockdown, and stuff like that.

The faults he pointed out aren't anything to do with the amount I've been driving - it's just not been a lot of fun to go out driving in the past 12 months.

And yes, once I've got all the parts, fixing these problems shouldn't take too long. Perhaps this time I won't dump the diff oil all over my foot when I pull the half-shaft! I managed to do just that when pulling the shaft on the other side a few years back... it was one of those "d'Oh!" moments when I realised that I didn't think the job through before I started!

adithorp

posted on 3/6/21 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine hadn't turned a wheel since a track day in Oct'19 until I MoT'd it in April. Normally I do 4-5000 miles a year.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JeffHs

posted on 3/6/21 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same situation as you David. My tester knows the car and its original donor, and he always asks about my son who had the car after me before I broke it. It's embarrassing every year when he looks at the paltry mileage I've driven. I still love the car because I made it, but more and more I wonder what the point is.
gremlin1234

posted on 3/6/21 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
my tiptop does less mileage that that at the moment ;-(
40inches

posted on 3/6/21 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
my tiptop does less mileage that that at the moment ;-(

I did more mileage in the MK than my daily tintop (SAAB 9-5 Estate) so I got rid of the SAAB and the MK is now my daily? driver

perksy

posted on 3/6/21 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Last 12 months the Mazda tin top has done about 1400 miles and the MGB did about 30 yds, Out of the garage for the agreed value photos and then back in the garage again

busy at work (NHS) and there always seems to be something else going on outside of work at the moment

pekwah1

posted on 3/6/21 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Feel your pain..... I decided around October last year to redo some wiring and other bits on the car and fast forward to today still not done....

Don’t know why just can’t seem to find the motivation to finish it.

Very depressing considering the weather lately, if it was actually complete and running I’d be putting loads of miles on!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/6/21 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
I really think a lot is down to how practical and comfortable the car is, that means you will pick it for a trip rather than the tin top. If its warm, quiet and dry in most weather, that's a huge plus. I used my JBA Falcon every day as my main car for years but my vw beach buggy must have done at most 2k miles in 22 years! Mainly because it was not much more than cold, noisy plastic bathtub. In the end I couldn't even be bothered to insure it due to how little I knew it would be used.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 4/6/21 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
I’m not too bothered about weather apart from rain which isn’t pleasant, I used my for the last few previously winters and as long as you don’t mind donning a helmet and a few extra layers it’s really not that bad at all!
jelly head

posted on 4/6/21 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
When i took my Cappo for its MOT in April the tester pointed out that i'd only done 120miles since the last test, two years ago... It doesn't make sense having it just sat there,i should really sell it. But having said that now we've got some decent weather i've been doing a few miles and getting a reminder of how much fun it is, i know that if i did get rid i'd miss it big time.
David Jenkins

posted on 4/6/21 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Another problem for me is that I live on the Suffolk/Essex border, and the roads round here get jammed up with holidaymakers on weekends and bank holidays - all going slow, and generally being annoying.

When I do drive, it's usually weekdays, early morning, etc. I especially like bright and dry winter days as the car loves the cold air, but it's been a bit wet up to now!

Still... mustn't grumble...

James

posted on 4/6/21 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I really think a lot is down to how practical and comfortable the car is, that means you will pick it for a trip rather than the tin top. If its warm, quiet and dry in most weather, that's a huge plus

Agree on this.

I'm too disorganised to do anything other than fall into the car of a morning a get to work. The Locost is, unfortunately, stored in my MiL's garage.

This is a 10min drive away, with a single width driveway meaning car shuffling. That's got to add 20-30min to the journey... and then all the fun of sucking diesel fumes crawling along traffic-filled roads for 30 mins for the rest of the journey!

So basically, before I can use the car a lot I need to clear my garage... fat chance of that any time soon!

As for how many miles... it's been 15 years (nearly) since I passed SVA and I'm embarassed to admit how few miles I've done!

I guess, trying to compete at semi-pro kickboxing standard, doing up houses and having 2 kids takes it's toll somewhere!

[Edited on 4/6/21 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Deckman001

posted on 4/6/21 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David, just before I passed IVA i joined the SKCC (southern kit car club). They tend to pop out on early Sunday mornings for breakfast. I did one trip before my engine broke and it was the best 90 miles I've ever driven. As I fix mine slowly, trying to build back up some confidence in it, I can't stop looking at the weather each day to see if i can get out in it again to try again. Maybe I'll grow out of this feeling, I hope not though !!

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 4/6/21 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve done just over 1000 miles in the last 3 years, can’t say I use the tin top now as I haven’t had one for 3 years. Don’t suppose towing it on a trailer behind the motorhome has helped
bi22le

posted on 5/6/21 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I MOTd my striker last year for the first time in 4 years due to children and life. Once MOTd i covered about 70 road miles but did 2 trackdays.

My car is not for the road now, they are too busy and it's just not the right type of vehicle in my eyes.

I probably won't MOT it again untill I sell it (if I decide to) so it has maximum saleability.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Dingz

posted on 5/6/21 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
When I mot’d mine last year I realised I’d done about 5 times more miles on my bike than the car and I had only done just over 600 on the bicycle!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

jelly head

posted on 6/6/21 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

My car is not for the road now, they are too busy and it's just not the right type of vehicle in my eyes.

Got to agree about that, totally invisible to SUV drivers

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.