Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shock measurements?
the_big_1

posted on 6/6/21 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Shock measurements?

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me their shock measurement with a Haynes, 2.0l zetec sat on the ground etc, measured between the top and bottom mounts so I can set the distance on mine, no shocks yet but like to sit it close to what it will be. Front and rears

jps

posted on 7/6/21 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you’re going to drill some holes in some box section and then put these in as struts in place of the coilovers, I did this by putting a block of wood under the chassis front and back to get the ride height (140mm rear, 125mm front) and then measuring between the bolt holes to work out what length strut I wanted.

[Edited on 7/6/21 by jps]

procomp

posted on 8/6/21 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi. put your car to the ride height you need, chock it witj bits of wood etc under frame.
Then work out the bolt crs for front and rear shock length remembering to add 30mm for droop travel.

Here is a link to the typical dimensions for shock and the travel it will give.
HTH Matt

https://www.facebook.com/Procomp-motorsport-376574512390043/photos/1887449121302567

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_big_1

posted on 8/6/21 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya,

Cheers for that, will have to set it up when I can.
Was only because I have temporary shocks on it that I wanted to adjust on the bench off the car quickly.

Cheers!!!

the_big_1

posted on 14/6/21 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Where are you measuring ride height? I measured from the sump which is the lowest part at the front and bottom rail at the back where the wishbones attach. Front shock distance measured 335mm, rear measured 300mm. Shock company state should all be the same, their shocks are 14" which is 355mm. If I take off the 30mm that's 325mm meaning the front ride height would be 115mm? Rear would be 165mm??

Cheers!

jps

posted on 15/6/21 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
I take ride height to be from the bottom rail of the chassis front and back. If you search on here and the Haynes Roadster forum there is lots of info on shocks and ride heights.
the_big_1

posted on 15/6/21 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

So I set my car at shock length of 325mm, (14" = 355mm) and 30mm for loading up.
Front ride height 140mm, rear 150mm, sump 105mm clearance.

So looks like 14" is the correct way. Anyone know why some shocks are 13" + 1" extension?

Would 350lb front and 250lb rear be OK for road use??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.