Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Green Flag?
David Jenkins

posted on 24/6/21 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Green Flag?

Does anyone have experience of Green Flag?

The 'free' Kia/RAC Roadside Assistance that came with my main car expires tomorrow, and they didn't bother to send out a renewal invitation - naughty. So I've spent a little time this evening shopping around, and GF looks favourite on price, but I have no experience on their quality of service. Trustpilot gives them a high-ish score, but I take their reviews with a large pinch of salt.

This is the only car in which I drive long distances, so I feel the need for breakdown cover for it.

HowardB

posted on 24/6/21 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I used green flag in the 90's it was good - I have signed up again, it is considerably less costly than AA/RAC or indeed the breakdown cover that my insurance co offered.
I am sure that you know this - it is an umbrella group for many independent recovery companies, I only ever had good experiences with them

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/6/21 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Will it go into Europe at all?
We have breakdown for 2 cars included with our bank account (£12pm) but we also get worldwide travel insurance plus phone insurance included. It can be cost effective WHEN we can actually go places.
You can try breakdown comparison sites to see who is cheapest. Obviously watch for oddball T+Cs.

mcerd1

posted on 24/6/21 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
A few years back my wife called them out for a dead battery, she was on her own stuck in the middle of nowhere at night (and had told them so) and despite calling them several times for an update it took over 3 hours to send someone out to her
so you can imagine it kind of puts me off using them despite the lower cost...

I've always had RAC personal cover myself - so any car, even if I'm not driving is covered and the version I have means they'll tow from anywhere in the UK to anywhere in the UK - with a bit of haggling come renewal time I normally keep it around £150 - 200 a year for the 2 of us (so do the cheapest I know) - but google tells me there is a 50% sale on just now, so that could be worth a look (2 people, personal cover, tow anywhere for £116 would be my pic)

I've only had to call them a couple of times ever and never in my own car - both times the guys went well out of there way to sort the problem.
especially a dead imobiliser on a transit, on a sunday night - 400 miles from home - took him a good hour or so, but eventually traced the issue and got it running

[Edited on 24/6/2021 by mcerd1]

-

SteveWalker

posted on 24/6/21 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
A few years back my wife called them out for a dead battery, she was on her own stuck in the middle of nowhere at night (and had told them so) and despite calling them several times for an update it took over 3 hours to send someone out to her
so you can imagine it kind of puts me off using them despite the lower cost...
[Edited on 24/6/2021 by mcerd1]

On the other hand, the RAC left my aunt stuck in an unlit backroad, mid-winter, with no heat, for over 9 hours.

I think any of them can fail once in a while.

theconrodkid

posted on 25/6/21 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
I used to work for a breakdown contractor, we did all the big names, sometimes it goes pear shaped, usually with the AA and RAC, greenfly were one of my fave companies to work for, they did their best and so did we, as someone else pointed out, sometimes something gets lost in translation, 99% of the time it goes as planned.
pays your money, take your choice

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

batch666

posted on 25/6/21 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
AA with Relay for me, I think the only one that will get you home from a Track Day.

Spun a big end on the Tiger at Blyton last August and the AA dragged me home to Leicestershire. The only proviso was the car had to be street legal (I'd driven it there) and the event for road going vehicles.

David Jenkins

posted on 25/6/21 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ah well - I rang the Kia/RAC roadside assistance customer support bloke - had a long conversation and eventually went with their 'special Kia rates' 2-year plan. Considering the level of cover, I thought £70-ish per year was good (everything except European cover - I hire a car if I go abroad).

sdh2903

posted on 25/6/21 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Autoaid for me. Cheap and very good rep. It's not vehicle specific and the Mrs gets free cover too.
David Jenkins

posted on 25/6/21 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Autoaid for me. Cheap and very good rep. It's not vehicle specific and the Mrs gets free cover too.

We've got Autoaid for my wife's car. Cheap and cheerful.

jelly head

posted on 26/6/21 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I was with Autoaid until i found out they don't cover cars over 10yrs old (have 2). They were pretty good when i needed them.

sdh2903

posted on 26/6/21 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jelly head
quote:

I was with Autoaid until i found out they don't cover cars over 10yrs old (have 2). They were pretty good when i needed them.

Yeah they do. As standard it's 15 year old cars. If over that it's a few quid extra.

pewe

posted on 28/6/21 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Autoaid for me too. I've used them a couple of times and it was quick and efficient.
DanG

posted on 28/6/21 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Autoaid - very good service
Tazzzzman1

posted on 1/7/21 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah used Green flag for a few years until their prices went skywards...probably due to the last breakdown I had

Did the Scotland tour a few years ago and took out the big end bearings (long story) near Kinlochewe (those that know its in the middle of nowhere)
Had to wait for 2 hours but car was collected (from Inverness) and then relayed back to South Yorkshire. I continued as Pillion, which had its advantages at the Pub pitstops . The car arrived home 2 hours before I did 2 days after pick up, so cant grumble about the service.

Now use Autoaid, as damn good on price, covers all cars (oldest is 30+year old Marcos Mantula Spyder) and the missus. Havent had to use them so far so cant comment on the support, but cant beat their prices

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.