Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice please on a tin top I own that needs SORNN'ing
nick205

posted on 11/7/21 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Advice please on a tin top I own that needs SORNN'ing

Morning all,

Back around 2013 I bought myself a Peugeot 205 GTI as a toy car. Come 2014 a head injury resulted in epilepsy and no driving until December 2020.

The 205 GTI (in a private barn) ended up without MoT or insurance. I never actually SORN'd it though!

I still have the keys, V5 registration document and paperwork for it.

Now I can drive again I'm very tempted to put it back on the road.

Can anyone advise where I stand with the DVLA if I apply for a SORN and then re MoT it?

Advice/guidance is welcome, I certainly don't want to cause myself any problems or unwanted costs.

Thanks,
Nick

You're welcome to U2U if you prefer.

[Edited on 11/7/21 by nick205]

[Edited on 11/7/21 by nick205]

40inches

posted on 11/7/21 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
May be an answer here Nick? https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2492587/no-sorn-no-reminders-no-v5c
nick205

posted on 11/7/21 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
40inches

Thanks, I'll take a read.

obfripper

posted on 11/7/21 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Stick your reg number in here, it will show your last tax/mot and current sorn/untaxed status.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Then stick your reg number in here, and use the v5 number to look at the test location on any listed test, this will confirm it is the latest and valid v5.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

If everything is good sort out insurance and pre-book the car in for mot, this will allow you to drive to and from the mot legally, any repairs will either require to be done at the testing station, or at another prebooked location - the car will only be legal to drive to that location and back to the mot station.

If you're not keen on doing this, if the mot station has trade plates, they can place them on the vehicle and drive to and from the mot and carry out any other road testing required for repairs without needing tax.
This will save you having to prove the mot booking if you get stopped or pinged by anpr on the way.

Once mot'd, tax online from the current date, you should be ok to do this, any declaration of sorn will only cover from that date forward anyway.

If they do decide to penalise you for no sorn declaration, it will be a £80 down to £40 fine with early payment, so not ridiculous.
Driving to and from a pre booked mot or place of repair will not be counted as use on the road, any use on the road is where backtax comes into play, with fines up to 2x the outstanding tax plus £30 costs.

Dave

nick205

posted on 12/7/21 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
obfripper

Thanks for your links.

Checking the first one it's showing the car as

SORN - Yes (better than expected and just what I want)

MoT - Expired (as expected and already known)

I'm at work so don't have the V5 number with me - will check this one tonight.

With regards to MoT'ing the car I have access to a trailer to move the car on. Also a local garage to do the MoT and any necessary repairs I can't do myself.

Thanks again,
Nick

[Edited on 12/7/21 by nick205]

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/7/21 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've SORN'd cars years after they technically should have been and never had any come back from it. After such a long time in a barn my first thing would be to change all the fluids, including the fuel and fuel filters. Hopefully it's been kept dry... I'd treat it very gently at first till it's had a good warm up, might need quite a bit of work to get going again.

Were fantastic handling cars back in the day, tough to keep up with when you have a Cortina... Mate had one, blew the head gasket, missread the torque settings, thought it was in ft pounds instead of degs and ripped the thread right out the block oh dear that was the end of that car. Came round to find him cutting it up with a petrol stihl saw "Hi, ohhhh... are you having car troubles??"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 12/7/21 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I've SORN'd cars years after they technically should have been and never had any come back from it. After such a long time in a barn my first thing would be to change all the fluids, including the fuel and fuel filters. Hopefully it's been kept dry... I'd treat it very gently at first till it's had a good warm up, might need quite a bit of work to get going again.

Were fantastic handling cars back in the day, tough to keep up with when you have a Cortina... Mate had one, blew the head gasket, missread the torque settings, thought it was in ft pounds instead of degs and ripped the thread right out the block oh dear that was the end of that car. Came round to find him cutting it up with a petrol stihl saw "Hi, ohhhh... are you having car troubles??"

It's been dry in the barn.

It's been serviced (fuel/fluids/filters etc) and the engine is running well.

As you say it'll certainly be treated gently at first - just not worth thrashing it.

The brakes obviously haven't been used so although the pads and discs were renewed shortly before layup they'll need some attention. There's a fair chance the brake calipers may need either overhauling or exchanging due to lack of use. It's been stored with the hand brake off to avoid the chance of seizing.

Handling (and having had 2 in my younger years) was the reason for getting it

SteveWalker

posted on 12/7/21 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought. In the unlikely event that there is any comeback (especially as it seems to say that it is SORNed), you could always claim that you were confused after your head injury, forgot to SORN it and later thought that you had done!
nick205

posted on 12/7/21 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Just a thought. In the unlikely event that there is any comeback (especially as it seems to say that it is SORNed), you could always claim that you were confused after your head injury, forgot to SORN it and later thought that you had done!

It's a thought!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.