Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Going to Silverstone this weekend
James

posted on 15/7/21 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Going to Silverstone this weekend

Greetings,

My missus has very kindly surprised me with Silverstone F1 tickets for this weekend as a birthday treat (she got together with my parents, mother-in-law, Grandma to afford them! )

Big F1 and Hamilton fan and worked for Mclaren for a short while nearly 15 years ago but never been to an F1 race before. Really excited- I'm going from Friday to Sunday and camping.

I went to Le Mans in 2003 with the gang from here- arranged by PTM and I made the mistake of not really doing my homework before so I had absolutely no idea what was going on or what I was doing. During the race or around the rest of weekend. A friend fortunately mentioned the Pirade De Pilot to I went up to see that in the town.

We've got seats somewhere for the race but I've been told to make sure I go to a few other corners (Maggots and Beckets etc.) to see what the cars are like there.

Other than that.... any thing else I should make sure I see- during or before/after the race?

Anything I should take (other than basic camping stuff?)? I suspect the food is the usual van-based stuff like at Goodwood etc? with F1 prices?

How to know what's actually happening during the race? Try and stream radio 5 live off my phone? Suspect that might be a challenge?!

Cheers!
James

[Edited on 15/7/21 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 15/7/21 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Amazing present

Never been to an F1 race myself so can't advise really.

They may have a circuit radio station broadcasting the commentary during the race. Most phones can tune in these day so you should be OK if they do.

Van food is van food and like ou say it'll be F1 prices. I'd make sure you take some food with you and a rucksack to tote stuff around. I recall from Goodwood FoS and Le Mans trips there's always plenty of merchandise on offer too.

roadrunner

posted on 15/7/21 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Take a BBQ.
loggyboy

posted on 15/7/21 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Last time I went was in 2006, blagged all 3 days for free thanks to my Father in law and boss splitting tickets they didnt use on different days. 2006 was pre 'the wing' and arena layout so suspect its quite different now. Proably much more structured since Liberty took over.
The biggest thing that hit me back then was the sound, on TV the high reving engines sounded so pure and smooth but when you hear them live, that's not the case, they sounded raspy and on lift off there was this noise that sounded like they were broken, when they weren't. Of course that was V8s back then but suspect the v6 hybrids will sound pretty cool up close. Prices are ridiculous so take packed lunches unless you want to budget for price of tickets again for food (back in 06 is was £7 for a burger, suspect thats £10+ now). There's usually plenty of stands and competitions so you can win tickets for smaller events etc. Not sure if covid or economy will affect the giveaways or demo products but theres usually a few goodie bags with freebee samples around. If your going for all 3 days use friday to wander around, takes hours to do walk the full circuit but worth checking out where good viewing can be had. Not sure how strict it will be now, but it used to be free to wander to all grand stands on friday and saturday with only sunday being fixed to where you have bought, with new sprint race and friday quali for this race that may change. Keep an eye/ear our for times of paddock/pit walks.

[Edited on 15-7-21 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/7/21 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
End up mugged for your sandwiches...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toys2

posted on 15/7/21 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Dont wear a £40,000 watch!

I haven't been since the Senna, Mansell days

If you haven't got a grandstand for the Sprint race on Saturday, use the Friday to decide exactly where you want to be and then get there early on the Saturday

We never had granstand tickets, so on the Sunday we'd be queing at 5am, an hour before the gates opened, then sprinted to the best spot, which IMO used to be Club before they moved the start/finish line

I would seriously consider camping 'til Monday or at least having a post race BBQ and leaving late, unless the roads have significantly improved, the queues to leave could take 3 or 4 hours

Most importantly, have fun and suck in the atmosphere, you'll be amazed how quickly the race goes

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 15/7/21 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've only spectated at one F1 race, Melbourne, back in the V8/V10 era. I can't help.
Insanely fun atmosphere, one helluva party, fantastic competitive racing. I just hope Silverstone in the modern Formula Mercedes era gives you a similar memory.

One thing you probably won't need these days is ear protection, absolutely essential in earlier decades.

Having raced at Silverstone, if you can get to Maggots and Becketts, it' a good confrontational area (by that I mean on the track). Stowe in the Radical is quite a phenomenal corner speed and load wise, unsure if spectating would give you that feeling.

loggyboy

posted on 15/7/21 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
I've only spectated at one F1 race, Melbourne, back in the V8/V10 era. I can't help.
Insanely fun atmosphere, one helluva party, fantastic competitive racing. I just hope Silverstone in the modern Formula Mercedes era gives you a similar memory.

Mercedes Era ended a few races back

Mistral Motorsport

Deckman001

posted on 15/7/21 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

I was lucky like you two years ago. try and get to the grandstands on the inside of Village, was free on Friday and Saturday. you get a great view of the cars pilling down into the corner, the sparks are amazing to view !!
I never stayed over though as was with different family members each day. Are they still having evening entertainment ? usually worth a look.
Have a fantastic time, and remember sun cream and a hat !!!

Jason

Simon

posted on 15/7/21 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I went to the European (might have been the British) Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in 1985 so I guess my suggestions would be a bit out of date
russbost

posted on 16/7/21 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Do take a good wander around the circuit, there are some good (fairly close) viewing spots around the complex.
You have to stand at Copse & watch them turning in flat out, it's mind boggling to watch you just can't believe the car stays on the circuit, you won't want to be there long, it's too far away & they are too fast for good viewing, Becketts used to be good, but the track has changed since I last went, Luffield I think may be good too.

Don't leave anything of value in the tent!

Split money around different parts of your body, tho' suspect even the food stalls will probably take contactless now around £7 or £8 for a burger or hot dog maybe more is the going rate

Make sure you have some paracetamol, even without beer sun & loud cars can make for a good headache!

Given the Merc's recent performance, you could ask Lewis if he'd like to borrow mine, might go better!!!

[img] Furore New Bodywork 1
Furore New Bodywork 1
[/img]

[img] Furore New Bodywork 2
Furore New Bodywork 2
[/img]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
snapper

posted on 16/7/21 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Top tip, (although it may be better now) make sure you can easily see one of the huge screens because the cars go past so fast you miss most of the race.
Get the Silverstone radio or like I did use my tactical pelt or ear defenders with a radio plugged in and tuned to race radio

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

snapper

posted on 16/7/21 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Do take a good wander around the circuit, there are some good (fairly close) viewing spots around the complex.
You have to stand at Copse & watch them turning in flat out, it's mind boggling to watch you just can't believe the car stays on the circuit, you won't want to be there long, it's too far away & they are too fast for good viewing, Becketts used to be good, but the track has changed since I last went, Luffield I think may be good too.

Don't leave anything of value in the tent!

Split money around different parts of your body, tho' suspect even the food stalls will probably take contactless now around £7 or £8 for a burger or hot dog maybe more is the going rate

Make sure you have some paracetamol, even without beer sun & loud cars can make for a good headache!

Given the Merc's recent performance, you could ask Lewis if he'd like to borrow mine, might go better!!!

[img] Furore New Bodywork 1
Furore New Bodywork 1
[/img]

[img] Furore New Bodywork 2
Furore New Bodywork 2
[/img]

You should really take that to Silverstone however there would not be a lot left if you parked and walked away…
That said Silverstone Classic would be a blast especially if you took it on the club circuit parade

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Benzine

posted on 16/7/21 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I went to Silverstone once. Shook Jackie Stewart's hand. Superb.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 17/7/21 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Went with mates and Girl friends for the Weekend (camping) in 1983. 04:00 "Silverstone Silverstone Silverstone" repeatedly over the camping and silverstone tannoys got everyone up. 30 minutes later (every morning) people were flooding to the track side. That weekend it WAS HOT. Silverstone put large barrels of water around the track (behind the spectators) about every 50 - 100yards, people would walk up to them, dunk there shirt in it/them, put on the shirt, then go back to the track side. Even doing that i came down with sun/heat stroke later back at the tent, I was out for the count for best part of an hour.
BEST weekend ever.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

adithorp

posted on 17/7/21 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I went to the European (might have been the British) Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in 1985 so I guess my suggestions would be a bit out of date

I was there! I had a ticket for the pit walks. In the sat evening i got chatting to one of the lotus mechanics rebuilding a gearbox. Security missed me when they did there sweep and I was there all night. Car was rebuilt and fired up at 3am, then bacon butties and back to my tent just in time to gather my stuff and bag a front row spot how the race. I've still got the broken lay shaft souvenir somewhere. Never happen these days.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Dingz

posted on 19/7/21 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
How did it go James?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

James

posted on 20/7/21 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! What an experience!

Greetings all,

Thank you for all the advice.

I went up Friday, although sadly not in time for Qualifying- I heard Lewis getting pole just as I pulled into the campsite.
My girlfriend joined me Saturday AM so that we only inflicted the kids on the grandparents for 1 night!

Soon as I'd parked I headed to the track. First thing that struck me was the sheer scale of the event- I was camping in a farm next to the track, it still took me 25 mins to walk to the track and I was going past campers the entire time. 140,000 people take up a lot of space!
I walked the entire perimeter of the circuit that evening to get my bearings.

I saw 2 or 3 F2 races, W-series, F1 Sprint race, the F1 race and a bunch of other stuff. Cool to see the first race winning Ferrari being driven by Le Clerc and was super cool to see (and hear!!!) the 2010(?) Mclaren that was being auctioned.

I saw the start of the F1 race at Chapel so I could see them come through Maggatts and Beckets and then after a small pause in the racing (goodness know why. ;-) ) saw 15 laps or so from there. I then legged it round as fast as I could to Luffield for our seats.

Luffield is a fairly slow corner I guess so you got to see the cars for a fairly long period, being on a straight must be a bit dull I'd have thought?

By being at Luffield you really see the gap between LeClerc, Bottas, Hamilton closing down. Was interesting to hear the difference in the commentaries- I bought a portable DAB but couldn't get Radio 5 Live Extra and no hope on a phone so listened to the track commentary instead. From 15(?) laps before the end they were suggesting Hamilton could win it. I watched Ch4 commentary last night and as late as 8 laps from the end they were stil saying Hamilton MIGHT catch Le Clerc but then wouldn't be able to pass.

OMG the walking!
OMG the heat!
OMG the prices!
OMG the atmosphere!

Including 2x Luffield grandstand tickets, a cap and 2 caps for the boys, food, camping, fuel, a present for the baby sitters, it may've cost us £1300 between us.

Still, had a brilliant weekend and glad I went. Would I go again- maybe. I think chances of decent weather like that AND a decent race are rather unlikely.

Even my girlfriend, who's not a fan, enjoyed the atmosphere of the last 1/3 of the race as #44 chased down LeClerc!

Tips for next time:
Wear more sun cream.
Expect lots of walking- I did 70-80,000 steps over the 3 days.
Get the track radio if you can't get Radio 5 Live.
Wear more sun cream.
Take ear plugs for the bloody campsite.
Wear more sun cream.

EDIT: Sorry for the long post (and this was the shorter version). But I'm still excited about it!

[Edited on 20/7/21 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Dingz

posted on 21/7/21 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you had a good time and weather. The last F1 I saw there was 83, that was very hot too! perhaps time to go again.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.