Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sensible rear brake line route?
jps

posted on 28/8/21 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sensible rear brake line route?

I’m mocking up where my rear brake lines will run, does the following look sensible?
My handbrake cable route is set, going above the chassis rails and will have a p-clip on the diagonal chassis rails securing it, so I’m trying to stay well clear of that

My current plan is to take the single brake line out of the transmission tunnel, onto the inner faces of the chassis rails, and then loop it up and over the rail to a t-piece mounted on the rear face of the chassis rail - shown by the yellow line. Then two reasonably symmetrical lines on either side - shown by the green lines - down to the flexi brackets where the red X is on either side.

The two rivnuts at the bottom of the picture will secure the tank straps, although the green lines go across them in reality there will be about 20mm clearance from those fixings and about 35mm clearance from the back of the tank.
Description
Description

[Edited on 28/8/21 by jps]

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 29/8/21 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

Your routing seems OK to me.

You don't even have to come back to the centre of the rear tube with your main line coming from the transmission tunnel (yellow), you can install your tee piece on the right (tube RS7/RS7a IIRC). You will save some pipe.

You will have a longer green line from the tee piece to the left flexi hose bracket, but a shorter right one (they do not need to be symmetrical or of the same length). You will have a shorter yellow line too.

That is what I did on mine (on the left as I have a LHD car). I install my flexi lines brackets on RS7/RS7a, so my left flexi hose is connected directly to the tee piece (bulkhead). But if you have your flexi hose brackets as per the book, you can do the same, you will just have an extra pipe between the tee-piece and your flexi hose bracket.

To summarize, I have the line coming from the transmission tunnel runing under the top left diagonal tube of the rear frame, connected to one arm of the tee piece. The foot of the tee piece is the bulkhead part, attached to the flexi hose bracket under left tubes RS7/RS7a with a lock nut. From the other arm of the tee piece, I ran the line to the right flexi hose bracket, along the top rear tube of the rear frame.

2014-03-22_ 17-46-53 by Voucht71, sur Flickr

2014-03-22_ 17-46-43 by Voucht71, sur Flickr

2014-03-22_ 18-17-26 by Voucht71, sur Flickr

2014-03-22_ 18-17-16 by Voucht71, sur Flickr

Hope that will help

jps

posted on 30/8/21 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Sylvain, and I did remember your website after I posted this, so have been looking at the diagrams on https://sites.google.com/site/hydraulicforkitcars/custom-brake-hoses/4---different-set-ups/right-hand-driver too!

Subject to getting into the tight space with the drill I think I’ll offset the T piece to the right hand side, so I can try and get 3 pipe clips in place like this - blue ‘C’ on the pic below:
Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.