Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator - How Big?
spegru

posted on 9/9/21 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
bear in mind that this experiment has been al about getting a smaller alternator for my Jag v6 rather than actually needing to fix the Zetec. It looks like the tichy 40A job is probably not up to it.

So my next thing is to find another that's smaller than the Jag one. Hard to find alternator measurements so Ive been scaling from ebay photos based on the size of pulleys in the pics. Are these all the same? My Jag pulley is 60mm diameter
Or is there a better way?

Check out Spegrus's Garage on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3C55qk-tbKc0WjmxGqFoXg

gremlin1234

posted on 9/9/21 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
no the pulleys on the alternators are not all the same, I hope starterman will see this and give you some guidance.
spegru

posted on 10/9/21 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
It seems the Jag one is 120A rather than 150. I wonder if lower spec ones are *inevitably* smaller and I should just select pretty much any 75A item. Does anyone have a favourite type or measurements of one?

russbost

posted on 10/9/21 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spegru
I've just done some more current load testing, (also discovered that I blew a couple of fuses in the meter whiIe was at it yesterday)

I realised that there is no need to disconnnect the battery if you can interrupt the electric feed to the items concerned. I did this at the fuse box, by puling the fuse and inserting the ammeter into the fuse socket. Just as well for this I have separate fuses for fuel pump and ECU/Coils (shared fuse)

Fuel Pump load varies quire a bit but seemed to peak/average ~14A although I did see a momentary 18A.

BTW The pump system is a Bosch 044 type and one of those facet solid state jobbies feeding a swirl pot tank from the main tank

I also ran a test on the ECU/Coils that therefore includes ignition and injectors?: (I think those ford Zetec coils are earthed by the ECU and fed directly but they share the same fuse on this setup)

This showed about 2A at idle rising to ~8A at high revs

No reason to expect Fuel pump load to scale up with the number of cylinders but ECU/Coils/Injectors probably does

So I'm going to hazard that base load for running the engine itself is ~14A+8A = 22A at max revs (when Alternator output is highest) for a 4Cyl which could equate to 14A + 8x1.5A = 26A for a 6Cyl.

LED lighting aside I can see that Rad Fans/ Wipers etc in addition to this could make the 40A alternators quite marginal - but perhaps could just about do it if in tip top condition

spegru

PS
I noted that the engine did not falter with increase speed as it did with everything running through the alternator like I did last time and also that I got a momentary reading of 18A - which indicates that the meter does not max out at 10A as I expected. Probably running everything through the meter at once as I did yesterday is what was causing that problem, as well as blowing the internal meter fuse.

[Edited on 9/9/21 by spegru]

[Edited on 9/9/21 by spegru]

14A seems a very high draw for a fuel pump. I would expect a "normal" high pressure (70psi) pump to be pulling around 6 - 9 A, looking around the internet general figures quoted for the Bosch 044 seem to be 11A, so 14 - 18A seems a bit odd?. Worth noting that not using a heavy enough cable for the pump will lead to a voltage drop & more current being drawn - just a thought

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CosKev3

posted on 10/9/21 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spegru
It seems the Jag one is 120A rather than 150. I wonder if lower spec ones are *inevitably* smaller and I should just select pretty much any 75A item. Does anyone have a favourite type or measurements of one?

Yeah the body size on most alternators corresponds to the power.

spegru

posted on 10/9/21 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Russbost, that 14A was only momentary and may not be that accurate. Also It's actually 2 pumps: an 044 and a Facet solid state. If I was more sensible than I was on the Zetec vehicle there should only be one - maybe 8-10A normally?

[Edited on 10/9/21 by spegru]

spegru

posted on 7/1/22 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well my investigations continue without resolution so far. I would be ideal to do some proper measurements and although I have one of those micro alternators running on a Zetec, unfortunately that setup is not working at present. It failed some time during the summer I think due to a loose mounting bolt/poor earth. I then obtained a cheap new replacement but that also now appears to be dead, possibly due to incorrect wiring at the plug

So what I really need is another replacement ASAP. Does anyone have one spare in Essex that I could purloin tomorrow?

spegru

johnH20

posted on 8/1/22 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Spegru, I have a couple of Ford alternators off a Zetec SE ( Sigma 1.7 ). I imagine they are the same as a regular Zetec. You are welcome to try one if it helps. I am in Ingatestone near Brentwood.
spegru

posted on 9/1/22 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John, because I was specifically interested in one of those micro alternators in the end I shot off down to Maidstone area yesterday and visited Car Builder Solutions. And I now have a 14v charge... plus a suspicion that the other unit was not actually faulty....! I'll have a look at that tomorrow I hope.

Ingatestone eh. We should hook up!

sdh2903

posted on 9/1/22 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack slightly but can anyone provide a link or a model no for the 70a denso alternator?
spegru

posted on 10/1/22 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also be interested in info on the 70a Denso (esp the dimensions)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.