Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is rivet AND sealant overkill for this?
jps

posted on 13/9/21 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Is rivet AND sealant overkill for this?

As I didn't weld them in the right place, I am now riveting the brackets in place which will support my flexi/hard brake line join.

They'll be similar sorts of things to the bracket shown to the left of this pic (not my car - pinched from 40 Inches photo archive...) - in my case they are 2mm steel n varied 'L' shapes - cut down from box section and seriously stiff.
Description
Description

I had planned to put a blob of Sikaflex behind them and then rivet with 2x 3.2mm multi grip rivets.

I've realised i'll have to wait for ages to do this, as i won't open a tube of Sika just for this job. And so I can't sort out my solid brake lines for ages if I wait until I am ready to bond my bodywork on (the only other thing I will use Sika for).

Is the sealant overkill for this job? Is there something else I should blob in there instead? Will 2 x rivets provide ample attachment?

[Edited on 13/9/21 by jps]

[Edited on 13/9/21 by jps]

Paul M

posted on 13/9/21 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that 2 rivets would give ample grip to hold a bracket - rivets and sikaflex would be overkill.
looking at the location & thickness of steel , two cap head bolts/ setscrews with nyloc nuts underneath would give a very secure mount.

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

loggyboy

posted on 14/9/21 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed, no load, limited vibrations and no intended movement of pipes. Rivets are fine.

Mistral Motorsport

jps

posted on 14/9/21 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - in my application (not pictured) the bracket is mounted off box section, hence the rivets. I was thinking that the flexi does put some load onto the bracket - as the wheel moves up/down (back wheel) and in/out (front wheel) but I guess most of the force is taken up in the bending of the flexi in any event...

Edit to add - to satisfy my curiosity, i've just Googled rivet strength and found this, which indicates aluminimum rivet strengths - a lot higher than I had expected!
http://www.fasnetdirect.com/refguide/RivetsCskblind.pdf

[Edited on 14/9/21 by jps]

craig1410

posted on 14/9/21 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
How about a couple of M5 rivnuts and cap head screws? You could even go smaller to an M4 or perhaps an M3.

[Edited on 14/9/2021 by craig1410]

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/9/21 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
If that bracket could be pulled off just with the flexi moving then you have other issues. Most production cars use a thin plate spot welded to the body with a lot less strength than your bracket.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 14/9/21 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
If that bracket could be pulled off just with the flexi moving then you have other issues. Most production cars use a thin plate spot welded to the body with a lot less strength than your bracket.

Good point - i probably should have looked at my tintop to see how that's done, I am sure you are right and my setup is already "tank-spec" in comparison...

quote:
craig1410
How about a couple of M5 rivnuts and cap head screws? You could even go smaller to an M4 or perhaps an M3.

Having just popped in a few M6 rivnuts (for the first time) - i'm building up anxiety about snapped mandrels/spinning nuts as it is - so am thinking rivets are simpler and leave less room for possible issues!

[Edited on 14/9/21 by jps]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.