Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Conversion to EV
bud44

posted on 1/11/21 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Conversion to EV

Hello my fellow builders,

Scenario as follows:

I have a vehicle which was in fact a production car, albeit from a low volume manufacturer, came off the production line unfinished and without any chassis number etc.

I have spent a couple of years putting this togethor, all new parts, 95% of which came from the factory with the chassis and body.
The rest have been sourced and again all new.
Object is to put it through an IVA once finished and get a current registration. I have the new chassis number form the DVLA.

Everything is going very well, shame I cant spend more time around it but with work - well we all know about time etc.

I was thinking the other evening, I have the ideal oppuntunity to switch the ICE for an Electric motor. Now I know there will be big issues with marrying everything up to the current electronics and I am prepared for that.
The current engine if sold on would pay for all the electrickery etc.

As I understand it the current IVA isnt geared up for electric vehicles - well from what I have read.

Part of me really wants to keep it fully original but there is a little piece of me saying do it.
My main concern is the value once completed, I anticipate with the ICE to be worth 80k +, I would imagine an electirc motor would decrease the value somewhat; however would an electric motor open up the market thus increasing the desirability ?

I then got to thinking, well at the time of typing this 2030 is cutoff in the uk for newly registrated ICE vehicles; so eight and bit years plus the lifespan of the vehicle will give another 20 years I guess - so is it really worth considering at all ?

I know someone is going to ask what car, but please can we avoid that, it isnt a merc gullwing replica or anything that fancy or a rare only ten made kind of thing.

any thoughts from you chaps?

Thanks

obfripper

posted on 1/11/21 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Have a read here, it used to be possible with a sub 48v ev, but now all iva submitted ev's need to comply with RESS ECE R100 which requires a vca inspection/type approval at £6k before iva.

http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/bvsorguk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3974

Dave

SteveWalker

posted on 2/11/21 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
I can't vouch for the quality of the information, but I read that while getting an EV tested and registered is very hard, converting an existing vehicle is far easier.
Schrodinger

posted on 2/11/21 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
Have a read here, it used to be possible with a sub 48v ev, but now all iva submitted ev's need to comply with RESS ECE R100 which requires a vca inspection/type approval at £6k before iva.

http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/bvsorguk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3974

Dave

That was posted in 2016 and a few cars have been converted since then.

Keith
Aviemore

bud44

posted on 2/11/21 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Reading the info link it does seem very difficult and in-fact a total non starter for me.
TBH I would rather keep the ICE inorder to stay true to the marque, it was just an option I considered worthy of pursuing.

I am pretty sure WDs and many of the other TV shows have done just that, converted an already registered vehicle.
I suppose that is the sticking point " already registered ", and not a new vehicle about to be registered.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/11/21 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also go with the engine first just to get it on the road. I looked at the IVA EV requirements and you'd have thought it was written by an EV hater.

As much as I love EV's, currently converting an ICE to EV seems either very expensive or very complex. I think it's the way forward for classics (assuming your car is one of those but you don't say). Unfortunately these cars are usually liked by old farts who fear technology and only go on about how easy it is to fix their unreliable old cars. So I think it would at this would knock a lot off the value of the car unless you found a more open minded buyer.

What is the car your doing anyway?

[Edited on 2/11/21 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 6/11/21 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

What is the car your doing anyway?

[Edited on 2/11/21 by Mr Whippy]

We're not allowed to ask. tut tut!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nelmo

posted on 8/11/21 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I don't understand this desire to switch to EV. I can understand if you're not a petrol-head (which I assume we all are on here) and just want a box to get you from A to B but I can't get over the soundtrack.

EVs are NOT silent, they sound like a wasp convention and once above 40/50mph, all you hear is tyre noise - they're no quieter than any newish car. And that noise is just horrible - my 2L Zetec sounds awesome in comparison, never mind a v8 on full chat. EVs may accelerate quicker but there's no theatre, no drama (and yes, I have been in a Tesla).

I watched a video of a bloke on a road trip in a Caterham and his mate in a Tesla - to ensure they could keep the Tesla charged, they had to go via motorway services and spend an hour sitting in an industrial estate while the Tesla charged up. I went on a 900 mile trip round the back lanes of Wales and we had a hard enough time finding petrol stations, never mind charging stations. Even when they finally get the infrastructure in place, are they likely to put chargers on the B324? Is the B&B in the arse end of nowhere going to have a charging point for you to use overnight?

Call me an old fart but give me a normal engine every day. After all, ICE is way cooler.

[Edited on 8/11/21 by nelmo]

Build Blog

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/11/21 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nelmo
I don't understand this desire to switch to EV. I can understand if you're not a petrol-head (which I assume we all are on here) and just want a box to get you from A to B but I can't get over the soundtrack.

EVs are NOT silent, they sound like a wasp convention and once above 40/50mph, all you hear is tyre noise - they're no quieter than any newish car. And that noise is just horrible - my 2L Zetec sounds awesome in comparison, never mind a v8 on full chat. EVs may accelerate quicker but there's no theatre, no drama (and yes, I have been in a Tesla).

I watched a video of a bloke on a road trip in a Caterham and his mate in a Tesla - to ensure they could keep the Tesla charged, they had to go via motorway services and spend an hour sitting in an industrial estate while the Tesla charged up. I went on a 900 mile trip round the back lanes of Wales and we had a hard enough time finding petrol stations, never mind charging stations. Even when they finally get the infrastructure in place, are they likely to put chargers on the B324? Is the B&B in the arse end of nowhere going to have a charging point for you to use overnight?

Call me an old fart but give me a normal engine every day. After all, ICE is way cooler.

[Edited on 8/11/21 by nelmo]

one day you'll understand

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.