Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas for our 13 year old R C ca rbut self build
John G

posted on 4/12/21 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ideas for our 13 year old R C ca rbut self build

Our son will be 13 this month and is looking at R C cars mostly from China already built, I would like to go down the learning route with him. Does anyone have some pointers for self build, kit etc that we could work together on. Plans with links to suppliers of parts etc. Part built projects and advice welcome.
Regards Jon

tegwin

posted on 4/12/21 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
You used to be able to get the hpi savage as a kit… not sure if you can get the new one in the same way…. I know they are built so you can swap parts over and upgrade etc.

Depends on budget but could get one of those and take it apart before you give it to him.

I learned a lot as a teenager playing with different dampers etc and even building a 6wd unit by chopping up several difffs to make one with two pinion wheels.

The old school option was always the tamiya thing that came as a lot but I’ve not seen those in years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

big_wasa

posted on 4/12/21 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at modelsport if you don’t have a local model shop. Best service I’ve had from anywhere.
I’ve just got back into Rc’s and it’s getting very addictive .

Don’t discount the Rtr models as the possibilities for pulling them to bits and putting them back together, servicing and upgrading is endless. I am enjoying pulling these to bits at a warm bench way more than a Locost in a cold garage at the moment.

Tamiya is still one of the biggest suplier of kits. A basic kit with All the extras is still around £200. And it will do a pretty pathetic 15bhp on an old style Nicad.

My Recommendation is the Wltoys 24019. It’s an old model now but a lot of model for the money with cheap as chips spares and unlimited tuning possibilities. There is a whole speed run seen based on just these.
Prices are around £100 and you get everything bar 4aa's. It will do around 30mph and is a lot of fun.

Mine now does over 70 and there are those that will do a real 100+mph. Check them out on YouTube

big_wasa

posted on 5/12/21 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Another suggestion, especially if there is a local club would be a car from Mardave or kamtec. Both uk bassed.
mark.s

posted on 5/12/21 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Mardave or Kamtec is a great starting point as Big wasa said, think they do 7 as well
nick205

posted on 5/12/21 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had an electric RC car for a while (triggered by my sons interest). Bought as a ready built car. Went like the clappers when charged, but I ended up having 3 batteries for it otherwise it just ran out too quickly.

If I did it again I'd build myself a nitro car/buggy for better run time. Nitro may not be ideal for a 13 year old though.

For what you get ready built for your money it's hard to beat the value for money.

big_wasa

posted on 5/12/21 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Modern Lipo batteries are that good Nitro isn’t worth the hassle or upsetting the neighbour's. A big capacity 2s lipo lasts for ages in a 1/10 sized car.

Took this out. A 1/8 sized model on 4s

Potentially very dangerous.

[Edited on 5/12/21 by big_wasa]

bi22le

posted on 5/12/21 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of the classic Tamiya Cars are being remade and resold by Tamiya now.

I bought a blitzer beetle for my friend as a 40th. We're were during these when we were 12 so it was amazing to buy a new kit and give it to him.

That's a proper back to basics kit. I built my first one at 10 and it taught to how to solder and understand gearboxes etc. Perfect

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 6/12/21 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Modern Lipo batteries are that good Nitro isn’t worth the hassle or upsetting the neighbour's. A big capacity 2s lipo lasts for ages in a 1/10 sized car.

Took this out. A 1/8 sized model on 4s

Potentially very dangerous.

Lipo batteries are a good call. A friend of mine into drone flying swears by them for run time.

When I referred to nitro, I should have said I was running my electric car in a field with no neighbours to disturb. Otherwise the noise would annoy, particularly evenings and weekends (and cats/dogs). I know when I ran my electric car in a park the dogs loved chasing it. Fortunately it outpaced the dogs or they may have chewed it to bits.

Definitely worth thinking about where/when you and your son will use the car. As above a local club is a good call as they'll have suitable places to go.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/21 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was into this years ago and joined the RC racing club. It was hilarious and utter carnage, plus a bit dangerous with flying cars and parts whizzing past your head

Gave it up as it was taking too much of my time and money.

I'd stay away from engine powered ones as they cannot be used in public places like parks. Spares availability is really important as you will need them, it doesn't take much of a crash to blast them to pieces. Unless you have a local track or a big park with paved paths road cars can get a bit boring. If you get an offroad buggy type they are quite a bit more fun and tend to be a bit more durable.

If you have a 3D printer you can build them that way and there's loads of designs available. Plus spare parts are no longer an issue...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/12/21 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I was into this years ago and joined the RC racing club. It was hilarious and utter carnage, plus a bit dangerous with flying cars and parts whizzing past your head

Gave it up as it was taking too much of my time and money.

I'd stay away from engine powered ones as they cannot be used in public places like parks. Spares availability is really important as you will need them, it doesn't take much of a crash to blast them to pieces. Unless you have a local track or a big park with paved paths road cars can get a bit boring. If you get an offroad buggy type they are quite a bit more fun and tend to be a bit more durable.

If you have a 3D printer you can build them that way and there's loads of designs available. Plus spare parts are no longer an issue...

Some valid points in there Mr Whippy.

I certainly chose an off-road RC car as I'd have found a road/tarmac one very limiting in where and when you can use it.

IMHO the front shock absorbers are often too exposed and prone to damage from frontal impact/crashes. A more substantial bumper bar type arrangement might help overcome this.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/12/21 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I use my IC powered one in public spaces all the time. Just not on the road outside my house.

It's fun, but I'd definitely go lipo in future.

big_wasa

posted on 7/12/21 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I want to get into planes after Xmas. I will go electric on them aswell.
StrikerChris

posted on 8/12/21 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
I too would suggest Mardave, until you know whether he's going to get into them properly. Most clubs do a 1 make series for the v12 which is great cheap carpet racing, but they're not much good for just using as a toy. Cobra would be my choice without blowing the budget as its a pretty robust buggy, and has ball bearings rather than bushes(which soon wear and render them pretty useless) adjustable diff, adjustable suspension etc if you're wanting to teach him stuff. and you can get them to shift with the right motor / battery combo. You can end up going mad and spending more than a full sized car though if you really get into it, I still have a tenth technology Predator in the shed....

Edit, I've just seen the price of the cobra
Chris

[Edited on 8/12/21 by StrikerChris]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BAS

posted on 8/12/21 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
tenth technology Predator now that is a very cool RC Car. Shame it's in the shed. Does it need a new home?
Mike Wood

posted on 8/12/21 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Why not find out what clubs exist in your area and build/rebuild something to suit their type of racing, track and car classes? Bet they are keen to encourage new youth members and some secondhand kit and bits might be available to help.

See: https://www.brca.org/clubs

https://www.brca.org/sections/12th-stockcars

https://www.brca.org/sections/1-10th-off-road

I reckon if you had a choice, an indoor car club that races electric stock cars (Mardave) including banger classes which give plenty of scope for building special bodies (including from cardboard?) and even caravans for mad banger racing fun.

Mardave even did a Ministox classic Mini styled racer that echoed the full size machines that were for juniors (maybe some clubs still do RC Ministox for juniors?)

See: https://www.mardave.co.uk/rc-cars

https://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT4645.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4645/Categories/Body_Shells/Bangers

https://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT4645.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4645/Categories/Body_Shells/Mini_Stock

https://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT4645.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4645/Categories/Cars_Kits

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 8/12/21 by Mike Wood]

StrikerChris

posted on 9/12/21 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BAS
tenth technology Predator now that is a very cool RC Car. Shame it's in the shed. Does it need a new home?

Na sorry, ive seen what some have sold for, but too sentimental to let go, travelled the country in a 1984 landrover with my old man racing that. Too many memories tied up in it. And it was one of the first so, is actually a work of art! (if slightly battered)

Chris

BAS

posted on 9/12/21 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Don't blame you. Sounds like you had a great time with it. I recently started mucking about with RC cars again after I stopped around 1986 ended with a Kyosho Optima then. So I missed out the Predator years. Still have the Optima in the loft, but in many bits!

I built a RE RE Schumacher CAT XLS last year as always wanted that. And have just bought a RE RE Kyosho Turbo Scorpion for the same reason.

[Edited on 9/12/21 by BAS]

StrikerChris

posted on 14/12/21 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Just seen optima mid is being re released. I was never into them as i was more a tarmac guy, or boy! The pred is a 95tee which was the oldschool widebody touring car before they went gay and narrow body and ditched the carbon fiber, its a work of art even now. Theres a corrally f1 and corrally 12th hidden amongst the mardaves too. Along with a couple of schumachers. Had the best fun club racing mardaves in hindsight, rather than the having to go to meetings to race cars for others. (kind of glad ive still got them tho)
BAS

posted on 14/12/21 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
"Just seen optima mid is being re released".

That's interesting, I've been waiting for this to happen....

Irony

posted on 15/12/21 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a kit then I would suggest a Tamiya. However, I believe you pay a premium for the kits these days.

You could try buying a 'brushed' truck and then upgrade at a later date to 'Brushless'. Doing the upgrade yourself is very easy.

Something like this:

FTX Zorro

Or this

Maverick Quantum

You need to make sure whatever 'brushed' system you buy has a separate ESC and Receiver or you will have to buy a new Transmitter/receiver if you upgrade. Basically the cheaper trucks have a combined ESC/Reciever, if you upgrade the ESC then your forced to get a new transmitter/receiver (an extra £25)

Once you decide to upgrade then a cheap Banggood £30 - £40 Esc and motor kit is the way to go.

Brushless Motor and ESC

I have done exactly the above but with my boys 1/10 scale monster truck. He got it for christmas last year and I bought the above motor and ESC. Just on a 2s lipo. The truck is now insanely fast, wildly fast. Also I have a new transmitter/receiver that crazily has Gyroscopic Stabilisation to keep the thing straight. Which works really really well.

If you want to go crackers then simply buy one of Arrmas 3s range, either the Arrma Senton, Granite, Big Rock or Typhon. They all run the same basic parts and chassis and they need to be seen to be believed. If you are not 'into' RC then the sheer power/speed/durability is insane. Just go on youtube and have a look. They are about £320 but then you'll need batteries and a charger.

As an example I have had my Senton 20ft up in the air off a jump at 50mph, change the tires and it is fast enough to drive on water..............

Irony

posted on 15/12/21 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
As a side note Lipo batteries need respecting. I treat mine as I would petrol. Always keep them in a flame proof container, never charge unattended and always unplug after use immediately.

A month ago I took the kids and the RC's to the park. Played with the RC's and then played football. It was only 25 minutes but I didn't unplug mine, just turned it off. I damaged capacitor pack on the battery cable I think. The thing set ablaze in the park!! Smoke pluming out of the arches. I managed to run over and unplug everything and save it. It chucked out a lot of smoke. Might have been a different story if we'd have been driving home.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.