Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megajolt & VVT Pro Questions
Barksavon

posted on 8/2/22 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Megajolt & VVT Pro Questions

After a long lay off we're trying to get our ST170 transplant into a Tiger Avon back on track.
Hoping to run it on Megajolt Ignition controller, ME VVT controller and motorbike carbs.
Already got a Megajolt & VVT Pro, my question is, the Megajolt was running a Pinto prior to the engine giving up, can we simply load a map suitable for the ST170 engine onto it or would we need a new MJ ecu.

Also any views or advice from anyone with a similar set up would be very welcome.
Thanks
Ian

mcerd1

posted on 8/2/22 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
all the megajolt units are easily re-programmable

which version do you have ?
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.

and is it a TPS or a MAP sensor version ?

I believe the ST170 still uses the same crank sensor as the other zetec's - so thats perfect for the megajolt (no need for adding trigger wheels)

[Edited on 8/2/2022 by mcerd1]

-

Barksavon

posted on 9/2/22 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure which version it is, I bought it around 2008 so it will be an early one, it's the TPS version
I think you're right about not needing the trigger wheel.
When you say easily re programmable, is it just a case of loading a new ignition map or is it more involved do you know?
Thanks for the reply👍👍

Ian

mcerd1

posted on 9/2/22 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think 2008 was about the time that the V4 ones launched, so it could be that or the older V3 one...

Have you got any pics ?
or you can just open the case and read the version off the PCB

the V3 should look like this (if its in its typical case at least) - these were the last ones you could get as DIY kits:

What bike carb's are you planning to use ? / Do they have a TPS built on already ?

as for the trigger wheel ford used the 36-1 trigger pattern for years with the 90° offset on the 4cyl and I know of no significant difference between the VR sensors used on the zetec E engines (which the ST170 is despite whats written on the cam cover) - so it should be exactly what the EDIS4 is looking for

quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon
When you say easily re programmable, is it just a case of loading a new ignition map or is it more involved do you know?

basically yes

but you'll need the matching version of the software on your PC for the version of the MJ and the right cable (/USB adapter for the older ones)
teh USB to Serial adapters can have issues as a lot of cheap ones are available that don't support the features that MJ needs

read more here:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/USB-serial_adapters

[Edited on 9/2/2022 by mcerd1]

-

Barksavon

posted on 9/2/22 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Now you've mentioned the V4 it seems to ring a bell, the cars at my son's house I'll try have a look or get a photo.
We have got the software on an old computer for the Megajolt so hopefully can use that when we get a suitable map sorted.
Not got the carbs yet, may go for a set from Danst Engineering, together with their inlet manifold, unless can find anything else....
👍👍👍👍👍

snapper

posted on 10/2/22 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Depending on the version you need the correct software on your computer, I know this as I had 3 different versions of MJ, the early one was a bit more fiddly but MJ v2 on seems to be easy to use.
Depending on your laptop it can be a small issue with getting laptop to see the MJ, this is usually a Com port mismatch where laptop has selected a free port and MJ is set to a different com port, once you’ve got your head around that it’s easy to store maps on your laptop, modify and save them and upload to MJ.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Barksavon

posted on 11/2/22 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

[Edited on 11/2/22 by Barksavon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.