Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Number plate valuations?
Benzine

posted on 9/2/22 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Number plate valuations?

I've got a registration number from 1972. It came with my old Bedford Tk in 2009 and I retained it when I sold that. It's 5 digits, this kind of format: XXX 1X. Looking to see what it's worth and maybe selling.

When you Google about reg numbers there are so many reg websites and companies, not sure where to start so wondered if anyone here had any recommendations of companies they've used that have been good?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 9/2/22 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Depends massively if the letters are common initials etc.

Number Plate companies that I looked into when I had a plate to sell give you a valuation that they will pay you once the plate sells,they don't buy them off you.
On top of the price they promise you they add on a few hundred quid as their profit.

If you find similar number plates by searching these sites I would advertise it on Ebay cheaper than they are advertised for.

hughpinder

posted on 10/2/22 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Commercial vehicle number plates can only go on another commercial vehicle.
I have a Massey Furguson 65 with number plate XFU5 and my cousin want to transfer it to his E-type (On a Q plate because he imported it) .but there was no way to transfer it.
Regards
Hugh

russbost

posted on 10/2/22 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
I have a Massey Furguson 65 with number plate XFU5 and my cousin want to transfer it to his E-type (On a Q plate because he imported it) .but there was no way to transfer it.
Regards
Hugh

Don't know that that's got anything to do with it being commercial, you can't transfer a reg no. to anything with a Q plate

I currently have F1 CTB offered for sale, webuyanynumberplate offered £80 to buy it, or £350 to sell it commission free, Elite Registrations have offered me £400 to buy & £1500 less around £350 commission to sell, I currently have it for sale with National Numbers for £1500 no commission since October, no buyer as yet, but the above shows what a huge variation in the market there is

[Edited on 10/2/22 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gremlin1234

posted on 10/2/22 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Regards
Hugh

edit, just noticed Russ's reply saying the same ;-)
I think the issue is that the car is on a Q plate, not to do with being commercial
https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers

"
Eligibility
You cannot:

assign a number starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’
put a private number on a ‘Q’ registered vehicle
use a private number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is - for example, an ‘07’ registration number on a 2003 registered vehicle"

[Edited on 10/2/22 by gremlin1234]

craig1410

posted on 10/2/22 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
This is going back a few years to around 1987 but my first car (a Mini 1275GT) had the number JMS 9S on it when my Dad bought it. He actually bought it purely to get the number plate as the car was £125 and was a complete basket case. I was 15 at the time and basically rebuilt the car over the next couple of years and first drove it on public roads at a few mins past midnight on my 17th birthday.

Anyway, the number was sold for £1400 to someone with the initials JMS of which my Dad got £750. We were never officially told the selling price but saw it advertised in a motoring magazine and it sold quite quickly.

I had that Mini for about 5 years and it went through a number of transformations from original blue 1275GT to a red fibreglass shelled machine with non-clubman space frame front end and then back to an English White 1275GT with MG Metro turbo engine before I sold it to a young guy who wrote it off within 2 weeks...

fishywick

posted on 10/2/22 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

edit, just noticed Russ's reply saying the same ;-)
I think the issue is that the car is on a Q plate, not to do with being commercial
https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers

"
Eligibility
You cannot:

assign a number starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’
put a private number on a ‘Q’ registered vehicle
use a private number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is - for example, an ‘07’ registration number on a 2003 registered vehicle"

[Edited on 10/2/22 by gremlin1234]

Also - the vehicle that you take the number off must 'be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate'. Taking numbers of agricultural vehicles stopped in the 1980's.

I sold a number about 10 years ago, can't remember who with but would re iterate what has been said above. Values vary wildly and a lot of the folk involved in this trade are or were 1970's scrap dealers.

Benzine

posted on 10/2/22 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies
Regarding commercial vehicles etc it came from a TK horsebox so wasn't used as a commercial vehicle. The plate is on my daily driver no probs

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sanzomat

posted on 10/2/22 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Thanks for the replies
Regarding commercial vehicles etc it came from a TK horsebox so wasn't used as a commercial vehicle. The plate is on my daily driver no probs

As its on your current daily I think that answers the question about whether it can be transferred. (although not to a Q plated vehicle or something older than 1972!)

As to its value, I think it will depend massively on what the first three letters are. If they are common initials then there may well be someone who has those initials who would be willing to pay a decent amount. If the letters would be high scoring in scrabble you probably won't get a match so only worth maybe £250 to someone who wants to make their replica kit look like it really came from the 1970's

DVLA Registrations
Looking on DVLA they have some XXX1K reg's coming up for auction soon with starting price of £500 including POP1K.

If it is DJP 1K I'll give you £500 for it

Benzine

posted on 10/2/22 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat

If it is DJP 1K I'll give you £500 for it

Don't suppose you want to deed poll to something like Frank Richard Lombardo do you?

hobbsy

posted on 10/2/22 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add another to the list regtransfers.co.uk will do a commission sale also.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.