Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sherwood Observatory Planetarium
SteveWallace

posted on 27/2/22 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sherwood Observatory Planetarium

In my 'MG TC restoration progress' thread I happened to mention that I'm working on a project to convert a Victorian underground reservoir into a visitor centre and planetarium and it was suggested that I start another thread about it - so here it is...

In brief, Sherwood Observatory is owned and operated by Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society (MSAS). It's a charity run entirely by volunteers and has about 130 members. A big bit of what we do is community outreach using astronomy as a means of encouraging people to take more of an interest in STEM subjects. The observatory was hand built by the members in the 1970's and 80's in a true LocostBuilders way using materials recovered from local demolition sites. Even the telescope (one of, if not the biggest in the UK that the public can come and use) was made from recyled material - the frame is welded together scaffolding poles and the main axis of rotation uses the back axle and hub bearing from a truck.

In 2014 we bought an underground Victorian reservoir (built in 1886) which is adjacent to the observatory and I'm now leading a project to turn it into a Science Discovery Centre and Planetarium. Our current budget estimate is ca £5.25m of which we've raised £2.28m so far.

We are just finalising the designs (so the budget will change a bit) and will be launching a matched fund raising campaign in a few weeks. This will involve charitable trusts (e.g. for education and heritage), corporate donations, hopefully philanthropic donors, and public subscriptions (e.g. a buy a brick scheme, sponsor a planetarium seat etc etc).

Rather than write loads about it here, if anyone is interested, have a look at the following YouTube links. The first is a recent interview that I did and the second is a recording of the launch event in November 2021. This has a short presentation justifying why it's needed followed by a presentation about the observatory and project.

Short Video

Longer launch presentation

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

HowardB

posted on 28/2/22 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
thank you for sharing - very interesting.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

SPYDER

posted on 28/2/22 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Watching with interest. I'm five minutes away from SO.
SteveWallace

posted on 1/3/22 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER

You should come along one night. There are usually people there on a Monday and Wednesday from 8pm and unless there is an event on they are normally happy to show people around.

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

swanny

posted on 2/3/22 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
fascinating.

do you have links into the University of Nottingham's school of physics and astronomy?

i work at Nottingham and have good links into the school, so happy to help if i can.

SPYDER

posted on 2/3/22 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER

You should come along one night. There are usually people there on a Monday and Wednesday from 8pm and unless there is an event on they are normally happy to show people around.

I've been a few times, many moons ago. (Ha-ha!) I'll try and schedule a visit.

SteveWallace

posted on 3/3/22 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
fascinating.

do you have links into the University of Nottingham's school of physics and astronomy?

i work at Nottingham and have good links into the school, so happy to help if i can.

Hi Swanny, thanks for the offer, it's appreciated. However, we already have a connection. Mike Merrifield, former head of department is one of our patrons so I meet up with him on a regular but fairly infrequent basis. If you have links with any other departments that might be interested, please let me know. I think that there are opportunities for the planetarium to be used for all sorts of big data visualisation as well as for arts projects.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.