Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing limits removed from licences!
40inches

posted on 27/2/22 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Towing limits removed from licences!

Just read that the towing test is to be abolished and that all drivers will be able to tow trailers up to 3500kg
At the bottom of this page:
https://blog.greenflag.com/2022/new-rules/?cmpid=000/multiproduct/eml/0/inlife/newsletter/optin/0

Slimy38

posted on 28/2/22 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I was a bit confused about this, after all I never took a towing test but have the full capability for towing... then I realised it's to cover the 'youngsters'!!

I'm guessing I won't be the only one on here old enough to have a licence from before 1997... At last, age has a benefit!

mcerd1

posted on 28/2/22 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021#:~:text=tow%20anything%20heavier.-,What%20changed%20 on%2016%20December%202021,the%20trailer%20plus%20the%20load.

I just missed out on the pre-97 so its defiantly good news for me and anyone else born post-1980

My only slight worry is it'll lead to more folk that don't know what they are doing driving with trailers dangerously overloaded / badly loaded or just too fast

my work is near the council skips - I've seen all kinds of doggy setups (mostly with older drivers that never had to do a test) - including the almost cartoon like one where a wheel fell off the doggy home brew trailer and skipped along the road until it hit our office missing my car by 6"

all I could hope is that these changes would be followed up with better/more inspection/enforcement - but somehow I can't see that happening right now

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I'm guessing I won't be the only one on here old enough to have a licence from before 1997... At last, age has a benefit!

but the old small print you may have missed was once you get 70 and your licence expired (although I'm not saying your that old yet ! )
you can just re-apply, but at that point they'd remove your entitlements you hadn't sat the test for including trailers

so pre-97 you'd automatically get B+E (car+trailer) as well as both C1, D1 (7.5t and minibus) and the +E's - when you renew at 70 they all go and your new one has the same entitlements as a post-97

so in that resect it will probably help a few folk born pre-1952 aswell (I know a few farmers that were stung by this loss of entitlement at renewal)

-

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/2/22 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021#:~:text=tow%20anything%20heavier.-,What%20changed%20 on%2016%20December%202021,the%20trailer%20plus%20the%20load.

My only slight worry is it'll lead to more folk that don't know what they are doing driving with trailers dangerously overloaded / badly loaded or just too fast
quote:

This is a major concern of mine with this change....

Someone I know has a rather poor driving history, and is adamant that they can now buy and tow a twin axle caravan for his holidays - all because he has a 4x4 and a towbar. He has trouble staying on the roads at the best of times (averages an "off" every few months), but I fear this new venture may pose serious risk not only to him, but also other road users.

I think trying to educate people about kerb weight, MAM for cars/trailers, loading, vehicle capacity/capability and general rule of thumb guidelines (eg. 85% rule) would've been a better promotional idea launched prior to, or with the removal of restrictions.

As a biker I like to think I'm pretty road/vehicle aware, but this adds to my forethought even when in the car.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

SteveWalker

posted on 28/2/22 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
my work is near the council skips - I've seen all kinds of doggy setups (mostly with older drivers that never had to do a test) - including the almost cartoon like one where a wheel fell off the doggy home brew trailer and skipped along the road until it hit our office missing my car by 6"

To be fair, that can happen to anyone. It happened to me, with my home-built trailer, that was only weeks old. Not due to any fault on my part, but due to a brand-new suspension unit, with sealed for life ball-bearings, suffering a bearing failure due to a manufacturing fault. The bearing seized, the hub ripped off and wheel and hub were last seen doing 60mph into the night - luckily into fields. I kicked up a fuss with the retailer and demanded replacement of both units with greaseable, taper-roller bearing units - which 29 years later are doing fine.

SteveWalker

posted on 28/2/22 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I just missed out on the pre-97 so its defiantly good news for me and anyone else born post-1980

all I could hope is that these changes would be followed up with better/more inspection/enforcement - but somehow I can't see that happening right now

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

but the old small print you may have missed was once you get 70 and your licence expired (although I'm not saying your that old yet ! )
you can just re-apply, but at that point they'd remove your entitlements you hadn't sat the test for including trailers

so pre-97 you'd automatically get B+E (car+trailer) as well as both C1, D1 (7.5t and minibus) and the +E's - when you renew at 70 they all go and your new one has the same entitlements as a post-97

so in that resect it will probably help a few folk born pre-1952 aswell (I know a few farmers that were stung by this loss of entitlement at renewal)

I'm pretty sure that you can retain your entitlements, as long as you pay for a medical when renewing.

HowardB

posted on 1/3/22 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
My dad just completed a post 70 renewal - he had a medical and has retained all his entitlements

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

gremlin1234

posted on 1/3/22 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
the towing requirements have already been changed. (from dec 16th last year.)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021

What changed on 16 December 2021
If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997, you’re now allowed to tow trailers up to 3,500kg MAM.

Check your car’s handbook to find out its gross train weight (GTW). This is the total allowable weight of the car plus the trailer plus the load.

DVLA will update your driving licence record to show that you’re allowed to tow trailers. You do not need to contact DVLA for this to happen. It will be done automatically. You’ll get category BE added to your driving licence when you next apply to get a new driving licence.

If you passed your car driving test before 1 January 1997, you are not affected by the change.

[Edited on 1/3/22 by gremlin1234]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.