Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Breakdown Cover Recommendations?
SJ

posted on 6/3/22 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Any Breakdown Cover Recommendations?

Just got my renewal through for personal cover from Autoaid but they say they will only recovery the car if it can't be repaired at a garage by the end of the day, which I don't like the sound of.
I need cover for my daily driver, MK, MGB and my wife in her car.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Stu

tegwin

posted on 6/3/22 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have a nationwide flex plus account which I pay £13 a month for. That includes breakdown cover. So far they have been really good. Not sure who they actually use on the ground but seems good value for money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

40inches

posted on 6/3/22 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
After 16 years with RAC (used them 5 times, very good service) we have gone with Greenflag this year.
£85 compared with £240 for same cover.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/3/22 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a Nissan then you don't need it
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 7/3/22 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Buy a Nissan then you don't need it

Not so sure, they are largely re-badged renault thesedays.

But... we have Nationwide cover via the £13 a month account, there are other worthwhile benefits too.
They cover 2 cars, BUT you don't need to tell them what cars before a breakdown.

My classic insurance cover is via Peter James includes breakdown, and uses a 3rd party who then outsource to the AA, all very efficient. (currently £280 a year, 3 cars, 35k agreed value, full european cover etc)

ianhurley20

posted on 7/3/22 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look at the Martin Lewis moneysavingexpert web site and found a link to http://www.comparebreakdowncover.co.uk/moneysavingexpert.aspx?a_aid=MSE&a_cid=409d9f04&utm_source=mse&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaig n=mse08-promo-code which had a 15% price reduction code and got breakdown cover for one car which inclued 1 hour roadside attempt to fix, onward travel and recovery if not fixed all for £24.00. I have not used it and in all the years of driving have never used my breakdown cover and as this is a second car and usually stays local I thought I would try it out. Our main car has RAC cover inc relay which came with my insurance which I got from one of the comparison insurance sites. That cover is part of an Aviva insurance policy which was £40 cheaper than the quote from Aviva itself. I don't get it

peter030371

posted on 7/3/22 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I have a nationwide flex plus account which I pay £13 a month for. That includes breakdown cover. So far they have been really good. Not sure who they actually use on the ground but seems good value for money.

I've had this for years and its covered us as a family very well. They have just changed to using the AA to provide the service and looking at the T&C it should cover recovery to a place of your choosing anywhere in the UK. They will cover our LWB camper van but not sure if it covers recovery of the car trailer attached to it...I have seen AA recover campers with trailers so assume they will. Hope I never have to find out!

Sanzomat

posted on 7/3/22 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Nationwide flex account is obviously popular with kit car guys. That is what we have too. As well as breakdown that £13/month also has other benefits such as travel insurance and a few other bits and pieces. When we worked out what we were previously spending on the various components it worked out much cheaper to get the flex account. I had a call out for the GTM when the immobiliser went haywire so couldn't disarm it therefore couldn't start it. They spent about 20 minutes coming to the same conclusion as me and then recovered it to my home. The guy took loads of care with additional bits of timber etc when loading it onto the low loader so it wouldn't ground out. I guess this was more about the guy who came out than the service provider but it was top notch service. I've also called them out when my son's car broke down - as others have said you don't have to register which cars are being covered so they'll come out to whatever.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 7/3/22 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've been with green flag for years after being with the AA and the price got ridiculous. Now seem to pay a fortune with green flag. Was going to change but didn't get round to it before renewal.

Two weeks later my wife's Nissan qashqai lost 50% of its go. Used the app to call them out. Specified a time and place and they arrived as booked (car was at home). He looked, and then took the car to the garage of my choice as I had the bigger option than the basic "nearest local garage".

Service was great, although you're down to the luck of the recovery person they send.

Still seems expensive at 250yr for two people, any car.

nick205

posted on 8/3/22 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Only have SWMBO's car covered and not actually had to use their service yet. Covered as her car has no spare wheel so it's for recovery and sorting a puncture. The policy covers both her and myself (even though epilepsy means no driving for me).

https://www.rescuemycar.com/

Have a look and see what multi-car / multi-driver policies they offer to suit your requirements.

Slimy38

posted on 8/3/22 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Only have SWMBO's car covered and not actually had to use their service yet. Covered as her car has no spare wheel so it's for recovery and sorting a puncture. The policy covers both her and myself (even though epilepsy means no driving for me).

Have a look and see what multi-car / multi-driver policies they offer to suit your requirements.

I'm with them as well. We had to call them out once, my wife hit a pothole and killed a tyre. I was 200 miles away at the time. I have to say their service was absolutely top notch. We got a specific call centre person who kept us both up to date with what was happening, they got a tow truck out within half an hour, and took the car to my trusted garage. I've been with them for a few years now and will be more than happy to continue.

Compare that to my last experience with the AA where I was left on the side of the M40 at rush hour for 3 hours, with no feedback unless I called them, then I had to negotiate for the car to be taken home. The only reason why I didn't get taken to a local garage was because it had taken so long that all garages were shut! The worst thing about it is that I was with the AA because they pride themselves on having their own fleet, so I would be able to trust the recovery guy. But out of 5 times I called them out, only one was actually serviced by an AA van, and even then they had to get a third party to do the towing.

Oh yeah, and the snotty letters I got from the AA because I called them out 3 times in a year...

nick205

posted on 8/3/22 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

I'm with them as well. We had to call them out once, my wife hit a pothole and killed a tyre. I was 200 miles away at the time. I have to say their service was absolutely top notch. We got a specific call centre person who kept us both up to date with what was happening, they got a tow truck out within half an hour, and took the car to my trusted garage. I've been with them for a few years now and will be more than happy to continue.

Compare that to my last experience with the AA where I was left on the side of the M40 at rush hour for 3 hours, with no feedback unless I called them, then I had to negotiate for the car to be taken home. The only reason why I didn't get taken to a local garage was because it had taken so long that all garages were shut! The worst thing about it is that I was with the AA because they pride themselves on having their own fleet, so I would be able to trust the recovery guy. But out of 5 times I called them out, only one was actually serviced by an AA van, and even then they had to get a third party to do the towing.

Oh yeah, and the snotty letters I got from the AA because I called them out 3 times in a year...

Interesting.

My SWMBO worked in the AA head office in her 20s and has no interest in using their breakdown service at all. Always comments it seemed to think more like a political animal rather than a breakdown service.

As above, not had to use Rescue My Car yet, but good to hear some ositive feedback on them.

McLannahan

posted on 8/3/22 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Interesting.

My SWMBO worked in the AA head office in her 20s and has no interest in using their breakdown service at all. Always comments it seemed to think more like a political animal rather than a breakdown service.

As above, not had to use Rescue My Car yet, but good to hear some ositive feedback on them.

Do you have a referral code Nick? I need cover for my old Volvo and the quick quote I did looks cheaper for 14 days Euro cover I need and a whole year of UK thrown in! (£76.35 all in)

nick205

posted on 8/3/22 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
quote:
quote:
quote:

Interesting.

Do you have a referral code Nick? I need cover for my old Volvo and the quick quote I did looks cheaper for 14 days Euro cover I need and a whole year of UK thrown in! (£76.35 all in)

Afraid not McLannahan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.