Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front pad choice
40inches

posted on 12/6/22 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Front pad choice

At the moment have Mintex 1144 fitted, they work ok but are a bit lacking in initial bite.
Has anyone gone from 1144 back to standard Mintex pads? If so how was the experience?

SJ

posted on 12/6/22 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
EBC yellow stuff for me. They seem very good
Sanzomat

posted on 12/6/22 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've not tried the mintex track day type pads but have used EBC in blue and yellow forms. I imagine 1144 are similar. I know what you mean about lack of initial bite as the EBC ones are like that too and I think that is the price you pay for not fading under heavy use. Once they have a bit of heat in they have all the bite you could ask for and don't fade. I've tried oem spec pads and whilst they bite from cold they quickly overheat and fade badly although some brands are much worse than others.
40inches

posted on 12/6/22 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
I've not tried the mintex track day type pads but have used EBC in blue and yellow forms. I imagine 1144 are similar. I know what you mean about lack of initial bite as the EBC ones are like that too and I think that is the price you pay for not fading under heavy use. Once they have a bit of heat in they have all the bite you could ask for and don't fade. I've tried oem spec pads and whilst they bite from cold they quickly overheat and fade badly although some brands are much worse than others.

Pure road use only, despite aspirations, track days will never happen. So poodling around at speeds below the legal limit

bi22le

posted on 12/6/22 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat

Pure road use only, despite aspirations, track days will never happen. So poodling around at speeds below the legal limit

Im not massively knowledgeable in this area but do feel that 1144 may be a bit racey for road use.

If you are on the road then look at any branded road pad, basic mintex, brembo (i have these on my A4 and they work fine) EBC.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

chillis

posted on 13/6/22 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Try EBC Green stuff, they are a step up from road pads in terms of fade resistance and you still get good initial bite, had them on my road car for many years and was very happy with them.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

SJ

posted on 13/6/22 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
Try EBC Green stuff, they are a step up from road pads in terms of fade resistance and you still get good initial bite, had them on my road car for many years and was very happy with them.

I spoke to EBC prior to buying and was advised Yellowstuff were better than Greenstuff for such a light car. They are perfect for road use and I've never experienced any fade on the few track days I've done.

loggyboy

posted on 13/6/22 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
OE mintex was my pad of choice for trackdays and road as I just drove to the limitations they gave. Wasnt till I went racing and used Carbon Lorraine RC6's that I realised what a true performance pad does, but if I went back to trackdays only Id defo go back to Mintex as they are just too good value. Worth going for a good brand of OE disc too, Brembo HC are superb.

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 13/6/22 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used have Mintex 1144 pads on my Locost - I found that a firm push at the start of braking usually brought them to life, so I often braked later that I would in my tin-top.

This was enough to make them work nicely.

Slimy38

posted on 13/6/22 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some M1144 for my tintop, a Saab 9-3 at the time. Stage 1 tuned so maybe 230-240, but carrying around 1 ton of Vauxhall badges on it. The pads were totally unsuitable, I couldn't keep them in the zone for any length of time. And they screamed all the time, even with shims I couldn't shut them up.

I switched back to standard Mintex and they were great. Even with a heavy Saab and repeated braking I couldn't cook them. It got sold with the pads still running perfectly.

Deckman001

posted on 14/6/22 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got std pads in my twin pots, the engine is a mildly tuned x/flow 1600 and I can lock up the front tyres at will especially when out on a Sunday breakfast run, stopping at junctions
mcerd1

posted on 15/6/22 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I used to run OE Mintex on the tin-tops and they were good, but I did find they wore down quite quick and latterly I had some issues with corrosion on the back plates (although that could partly be due to overheating)
I also thought they are were extremely similar feeling to the Pagid ones (same parent company so not too surprising)

Never tried EBC yellow, but don't bother with the black - they were hopeless

Recently I tried Bosch OE ones and they seem decent, but not the sharpest bite I've had

Ferodo DS pads are meant to be really good, I might get a set to try next - but they are also 2x / 3x the price of some of the others

But the best feeling, longest lasting ones I've had so far were actually just the genuine Ford ones - but they aren't cheap either of course
(also not sure how old a car they still sell them for.... )

-

jelly head

posted on 19/6/22 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Having used 1144 pads in a tin top on road and track i didn't rate them for either, they were neither fish nor foul. Found ds2500 a good compromise for both road and track.

Being so much lighter, brakes on kit cars don't have as much work to do as they would in a tin top, especially on the road, a standard road pad should be more than good enough, you're unlikely to be constantly braking hard so the brakes just aren't going to get hot enough to need uprated pads.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.