Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Offensive post
limpetminer

posted on 30/6/22 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Offensive post

With regard to coyoteboys post there is no need to offensive just because I don’t happen to like cyclists blocking the road when there is a perfectly good cycle path they could use
westf27

posted on 30/6/22 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
You mess with the MAMIL’s,you play with the devil &#128121;

Simon

posted on 30/6/22 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by limpetminer
With regard to coyoteboys post there is no need to offensive just because I don’t happen to like cyclists blocking the road when there is a perfectly good cycle path they could use

Did I miss something?

Cyclists are under no obligation to use cyclepaths - I rarely use them because they tend to have a Give Way at every driveway, rarely get swept of detritus (causing punctures), have overhanging hedges and have to be shared with really slow cyclists and pedestrians using their phones or sleep walking. Cyclists rarely block the road - it's probably oncoming traffic that gets in the way, road furniture or just incompetence.

roadrunner

posted on 1/7/22 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Did I miss something?

Cyclists are under no obligation to use cyclepaths - I rarely use them because they tend to have a Give Way at every driveway, rarely get swept of detritus (causing punctures), have overhanging hedges and have to be shared with really slow cyclists and pedestrians using their phones or sleep walking. Cyclists rarely block the road - it's probably oncoming traffic that gets in the way, road furniture or just incompetence.

Well put.
I'm a cyclist and petrol head. I can see both sides.
There are idiots on bikes, but there idiots in cars too which I come across every day putting my life at risk just to save two seconds of travel time.
Had a n Ahole this morning chop me up at a roundabout when there was two lanes he could of used.

jelly head

posted on 1/7/22 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
There are idiots on bikes, but there idiots in cars too which I come across every day putting my life at risk just to save two seconds of travel time.
Had a n Ahole this morning chop me up at a roundabout when there was two lanes he could of used.

Couldn't agree more, there are nobheads in both cars and bikes, and i both drive and ride. Thing is you're more likely to be seriosuly injured or die on a bike if there's a coming together and people seem to forget that. Still can't work out what the original post is refering to though..

roadrunner

posted on 1/7/22 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's under "Power Commander Tune Up"

"I would try it myself but suspect previous owner did hence my problem, I have booked it in at PDQ which is quite near me, not so worried about MPG but it spits flames on overrun which is dangerous for pedestrians not bothered about cyclists thought don't want it getting bore wash or emulsified oil."

He was then called a "Fanny"

coyoteboy

posted on 1/7/22 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You jokingly suggested it was OK to injure cyclists (specifically called it out, as usual inflaming and antagonizing the car/cyclist tensions for no reason, other than to get a laugh). I called you a fanny, with a funny picture, because as a cyclist and a car enthusiast, I find the constant battle pathetic and childish on both sides, and feel like people just need to be more tolerant.

If your skin is that thin, you might need more cotton wool along with your attitude re-assessment.

SJ

posted on 1/7/22 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Did I miss something?

Well put.
I'm a cyclist and petrol head. I can see both sides.

I ride a lot on the lanes around here which are pretty narrow. I always get out of the way wherever its safe so cars can get by easily so never have many issues, and c an deal with being cut up and not seen. The most dangerous drivers are not the ones who can't or daren't overtake a bike resulting in a tailback and lots of irritated drivers.

SJ

posted on 1/7/22 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

You jokingly suggested it was OK to injure cyclists (specifically called it out, as usual inflaming and antagonizing the car/cyclist tensions for no reason, other than to get a laugh). I called you a fanny, with a funny picture, because as a cyclist and a car enthusiast, I find the constant battle pathetic and childish on both sides, and feel like people just need to be more tolerant.

If your skin is that thin, you might need more cotton wool along with your attitude re-assessment.

Using cycle lanes are generally much more dangerous than not using them given they are hardly ever continuous and cars can park in them, at least where I live.

coyoteboy

posted on 1/7/22 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westf27
You mess with the MAMIL’s,you play with the devil &#128121;

No lycra here, just a regular cyclist and owner of 4 cars, who can happily wait an extra 15 seconds behind a bike when needs be and is well aware of how absolutely appalling and dangerous the UK bike lanes can be. His original post was a gentle stab at cyclists, revealing an underlying dislike. I was just repaying the favour with a humourous image

nick205

posted on 1/7/22 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Keen cyclist and petrol head so seeing both sides myself.

I don't like using the defined cycle lanes, they seem to be an after thought to roads for cars.

IMHO there are a few poorly behaved cyclists and drivers. These few draw attention and bring a bad name to the many.

jelly head

posted on 1/7/22 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Fanny! Mint!
BenB

posted on 1/7/22 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Fanny mints.
Now there's a business opportunity.
Shall I go on Dragons Den, see if I get backing.

roadrunner

posted on 1/7/22 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote

adithorp

posted on 1/7/22 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And yet you chose to be offensive all the same.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

limpetminer

posted on 1/7/22 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Offending cyclists

Apologies to all you cyclists out there, I get a bit wound up with our local council who spend huge amounts on cycle paths while ignoring the pot hole issue. It was wrong of me to make what has been taken as an offensive comment I really did not intend to cause offence to all the good helpful people on here, I hope I can be forgiven for making such a stupid comment.
scudderfish

posted on 1/7/22 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Group hug!
spaximus

posted on 1/7/22 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I dislike the animosity between drivers and cyclist but it is easy to see why it happens.

Where I live the council has spent huge sums on cycle paths, either by narrowing existing roads, cutting dual carriage ways down to single lanes as well as purpose built cycle paths.

So if cyclists are not using these for all the reasons they state, like not wanting to ever stop to give way, punctures etc, why are the cycling lobby groups being so effective and demanding councils to build these for none to use them?

Its like building a footpath at the side of a road and then saying we prefer to walk in the road?

I am not wanting to inflame but in these days of ever tighter budgets on councils is it right to spend money on little used facilities when we cannot afford to pay for care for old people or those in needs?

I also cycle but where provided I do use those facilities provided.

I agree there are bad drivers and also cyclists but what is the answer to this as the friction is getting worse

sam919

posted on 1/7/22 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Being offended at being called a 'Fanny' is quite ironic. I'd have settled with c**t (which seems to come up as puss if written normally) to avoid any confusion as to the level of offence being offered.

[Edited on 1/7/22 by sam919]

Simon

posted on 1/7/22 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Apologies to all you cyclists out there, I get a bit wound up with our local council who spend huge amounts on cycle paths while ignoring the pot hole issue. It was wrong of me to make what has been taken as an offensive comment I really did not intend to cause offence to all the good helpful people on here, I hope I can be forgiven for making such a stupid comment.

For the most part, everyone gets along, but unfortunately, there are too many instances where keyboard warriors are quite serious about their threats - I used to work with one (who, with his brother, bullied me out of my father's business (father dead thank feck cos I'd have prob knocked his block off by now, sorry rambling).

A couple of years back I was riding on a local back lane and a proper see u next T floored it passed my with about a foot to spare - a child in the back even looked back. Unfortunately, I didn't have my wits about me as it was a steep hill and I was knackered but if I'd got his plate...

Currently looking at helmet cams....

coyoteboy

posted on 4/7/22 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spaximus
hese for all the reasons they state, like not wanting to ever stop to give way, punctures etc, why are the cycling lobby groups being so effective and demanding councils to build these for none to use them?

Its like building a footpath at the side of a road and then saying we prefer to walk in the road?

Because the story isn't black and white, and the world isn't made of one opinion. Strap in, I've got bullet points to make Think about these points:

Cyclists:
1) Cyclists are not all children or meek and timid road users who are scared of traffic....however
2) Those same cyclists recognise that some cyclists ARE, and should be given additional protection (different use cases).
3) Some cyclists are children or timid, and they hate the idea of being part of traffic and they accept being bullied by some drivers, and the best solution they can see is to be taken away from the mean people because they think they can never change the attitudes. They lobby for segregated lanes.
4) Even the cyclists in 1) would quite like some roads to be segregated, due to speed differentials and blackspots - but they know that if they ask for segregated lanes, it will 99 times out of 100 be turned down, so they lobby for the best they can for the overall cycling community.
4.5) Cyclists are usually drivers also, which means that for every mile they cycle, they're NOT using the car they pay emissions tax on like everyone else. This means they're subsidising drivers who only drive. They don't complain about this.

Drivers:
5) Generally just don't want to be inconvenienced [slowed, made to think about other vehicles which they find distracting]
6) Want the entire road to use, and don't like parts of it being taken over by certain user groups.
7) Also don't want those user groups to be part of normal traffic.
8) Lobby the councils to do nothing, or to make segregated lanes.
8.5) Take a look at this, my local council area meeting https://twitter.com/magnatom/status/1286339526823235587 - the road has the first semi-proper segregated lane put in in the area (it still forces cyclists to stop at every junction, and spits them out into random traffic spots). It reduced the road width a little but didn't at any point change it from the single lane width it was before, it just meant that now cars have to wait behind cars turning right, rather than being able to squeeze past. This was done to link two major residential areas and some schools for kids to use the road. Residents went *bananas* because space was being used for cyclists. You can clearly hear the residents shouting "NO, we don't want children cycliing down this route [between schools, shops etc]"...then.."The road is for everyone"..then..."you don't pay road tax"..... It's absolutely absurd.

Councils:
9) Look at the discrepancy in user numbers and can't justify large spends on bike paths for a small minority (a few million here and there is chump change, don't let the scale fool you) [Chicken/Egg...]
10) Desperately need to show they're prioritizing green and active transport.
11) Desperately don't want to upset drivers, as drivers get very shouty and are a large group
12) Don't have the space or funding to put in segregated lanes, or claim this (proper ones, that go properly from one place to another, can't be parked in, and are maintained properly).
13) Want to show they're doing something, so they put in mostly useless garbage lanes that are also parking zones, also full of broken bottles, pop cyclists in and out of traffic flow every few hundred metres and are dangerous to use. But hey...we've catered for cyclists right....

So yes, there are a group of cyclists trying to get *some* consideration for the community on the road. The council response to this is usually to implement something stupid, but they take it because it's the best they're going to get. The veteran cyclists see the garbage routes and the problems inherent in them and decide they'd rather be part of traffic as normal. Then the drivers get irate because they're not using the facilities. And I'm not joking about how bad this gets - I've had glass bottles thrown at me from cars, I've been run off the road by drivers wanting to push me into the cycle lanes despite the fact that there's a raised kerb in the way, I've had verbal abuse on pretty much every ride I do though towns. Is there any wonder cyclists are taking things into their own hands and starting to reply, starting to hit out at cars that try to pass too close or push them off, starting to record close passes and send them to the police.

If it were not for everyone wanting to minimise the spend on infrastructure and not really caring about anything but car usage, proper investment and facilities could be created, large numbers of cars could be removed from the road by people happy to cycle. But that's not how people work, humans are stupid.

Whenever I've argued that half-measures are more of a problem than a solution, I get shouted down by both sides.

[Edited on 4/7/22 by coyoteboy]

SJ

posted on 4/7/22 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can't really disagree with any of that.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by spaximus
hese for all the reasons they state, like not wanting to ever stop to give way, punctures etc, why are the cycling lobby groups being so effective and demanding councils to build these for none to use them?

Because the story isn't black and white, and the world isn't made of one opinion. Strap in, I've got bullet points to make Think about these points:

Cyclists:
1) Cyclists are not all children or meek and timid road users who are scared of traffic....however
2) Those same cyclists recognise that some cyclists ARE, and should be given additional protection (different use cases).
3) Some cyclists are children or timid, and they hate the idea of being part of traffic and they accept being bullied by some drivers, and the best solution they can see is to be taken away from the mean people because they think they can never change the attitudes. They lobby for segregated lanes.
4) Even the cyclists in 1) would quite like some roads to be segregated, due to speed differentials and blackspots - but they know that if they ask for segregated lanes, it will 99 times out of 100 be turned down, so they lobby for the best they can for the overall cycling community.
4.5) Cyclists are usually drivers also, which means that for every mile they cycle, they're NOT using the car they pay emissions tax on like everyone else. This means they're subsidising drivers who only drive. They don't complain about this.

Drivers:
5) Generally just don't want to be inconvenienced [slowed, made to think about other vehicles which they find distracting]
6) Want the entire road to use, and don't like parts of it being taken over by certain user groups.
7) Also don't want those user groups to be part of normal traffic.
8) Lobby the councils to do nothing, or to make segregated lanes.
8.5) Take a look at this, my local council area meeting https://twitter.com/magnatom/status/1286339526823235587 - the road has the first semi-proper segregated lane put in in the area (it still forces cyclists to stop at every junction, and spits them out into random traffic spots). It reduced the road width a little but didn't at any point change it from the single lane width it was before, it just meant that now cars have to wait behind cars turning right, rather than being able to squeeze past. This was done to link two major residential areas and some schools for kids to use the road. Residents went *bananas* because space was being used for cyclists. You can clearly hear the residents shouting "NO, we don't want children cycliing down this route [between schools, shops etc]"...then.."The road is for everyone"..then..."you don't pay road tax"..... It's absolutely absurd.

Councils:
9) Look at the discrepancy in user numbers and can't justify large spends on bike paths for a small minority (a few million here and there is chump change, don't let the scale fool you) [Chicken/Egg...]
10) Desperately need to show they're prioritizing green and active transport.
11) Desperately don't want to upset drivers, as drivers get very shouty and are a large group
12) Don't have the space or funding to put in segregated lanes, or claim this (proper ones, that go properly from one place to another, can't be parked in, and are maintained properly).
13) Want to show they're doing something, so they put in mostly useless garbage lanes that are also parking zones, also full of broken bottles, pop cyclists in and out of traffic flow every few hundred metres and are dangerous to use. But hey...we've catered for cyclists right....

So yes, there are a group of cyclists trying to *some* consideration for the community on the road. The council response to this is usually to implement something stupid, but they take it because it's the best they're going to get. The veteran cyclists see the garbage routes and the problems inherent in them and decide they'd rather be part of traffic as normal. Then the drivers get irate because they're not using the facilities. And I'm not joking about how bad this gets - I've had glass bottles thrown at me from cars, I've been run off the road by drivers wanting to push me into the cycle lanes despite the fact that there's a raised kerb in the way, I've had verbal abuse on pretty much every ride I do though towns. Is there any wonder cyclists are taking things into their own hands and starting to reply, starting to hit out at cars that try to pass too close or push them off, starting to record close passes and send them to the police.

If it were not for everyone wanting to minimise the spend on infrastructure and not really caring about anything but car usage, proper investment and facilities could be created, large numbers of cars could be removed from the road by people happy to cycle. But that's not how people work, humans are stupid.

Whenever I've argued that half-measures are more of a problem than a solution, I get shouted down by both sides.

roadrunner

posted on 5/7/22 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
[ humans are stupid.

That short sentence was enough.
But being a veteran cyclist, I agree with everything you've said.

[Edited on 5/7/22 by roadrunner]

coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/22 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Currently living in Holland I'm hilariously the opposite of when I lived in the UK - I'm the weird one who wants a fast car, why would you want a car when you can just cycle to get your shopping? Cycle paths that have priority over the roads they are parallel to, cars don't complain, they just wait patiently for you to go by. It's a very surreal experience.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/7/22 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Currently living in Holland I'm hilariously the opposite of when I lived in the UK - I'm the weird one who wants a fast car, why would you want a car when you can just cycle to get your shopping? Cycle paths that have priority over the roads they are parallel to, cars don't complain, they just wait patiently for you to go by. It's a very surreal experience.

I've watched many vids on the Netherlands and it looks a wonderful place to live, I especially like their approach to transport. Britain is decades behind them, although their unique geography definitely gives them a huge advantage.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.