Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Offensive post
coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/22 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
It has its positives and its negatives like any place of course. But it's a lot more chilled, it's more like the UK from 1980 I think in some respects. Most shops don't open past 5, so if you want something, you have to take leave to get it. Large supermarkets open at weekends and evenings, but rarely. You can't pay a tradesman to work weekends, they just don't care about the cash. Houses are generally *tiny* and incredibly expensive to rent, and the rental market is super aggressive (took me 3 months to find the place I'm in just now), and the estate agent basically says "here's the terms, take it or they'll find someone else, I need to know by end of the day - can't visit for the one day group viewing? Not my problem. Person living alone, not interested due to one income. Male- Landlord doesn't want a male."
Want something from the government, local or national - be prepared to wait. Months. Even when it means you're then breaching their own rules on immigration and taxes. Move here with a car - that's possible, but you have to get a company to do the import declaration. Oh but there's no companies that do that unless you paid them to transport the car instead of driving it. Oh, and because of Brexit - everything now works with the same level of scrutiny and cross checking as if I was shipping an unknown make car from Mongolia - 8-10 weeks to get an appointment to get it registered for use on the roads - basically an IVA on a Nissan 370z. Coming in from France? Oh yeah, just bring in your registration and we'll switch it to dutch on the day.

[Edited on 6/7/22 by coyoteboy]

SJ

posted on 6/7/22 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Not the place to be if you want to build your own car either
coyoteboy

posted on 7/7/22 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Not the place to be if you want to build your own car either

I must admit, I've not considered it (as I can't afford the rent on a place with a garage!) but I suspect you're correct!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.