Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any solar installers on here
russbost

posted on 29/7/22 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Any solar installers on here

As per title, does anyone on here get involved with PV installations, after some advice re G98/99

Furore Formula Car - the only two seater modern Formula Car lookalike. I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   russbost 's Aim
roadrunner

posted on 30/7/22 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Not an installer, but I just recently fitted my own 6kw system and had to apply for the G98/G99.
russbost

posted on 30/7/22 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Great! 2 things, I thought anything over4kW required additional paperwork or a different application - is that no longer the case?

What exactly is involved, what's the procedure with the G98/99?

I believe you apply for the G98 from your DNO? What exactly happens then? What gets inspected & by whom? Or is it simply a case of making the installation as per instructions & then just getting a sparky to sign off prior to actually commissioning? Is that when the G99 gets sent in?

Any advice/info much appreciated

Furore Formula Car - the only two seater modern Formula Car lookalike. I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   russbost 's Aim
roadrunner

posted on 30/7/22 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
You go on your DNO's website and apply there.
The company I purchased my kit from gave me the relevant information to put on the application.
It can take upto 45 working days to complete.
They still charge for anything over 4kw as they look at weather your local layout can cope with the extra ampage.
It costs anywhere from 350 to 850 before VAT.
It cost me the lowest amount as there was no extra strengthening needed as I live in a bit of a rabbit warren and plenty of households to use up my surplus energy
Hope this helps
If you need anything else just ask.

Brad

russbost

posted on 30/7/22 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
So if we're just looking at the basic 3.6kW Inverter & not exporting more than that, it's just a G98 application & a sparky sign off, is that it? & no charges?

Sounds far too easy, I'm obviously missing something!

coyoteboy

posted on 30/7/22 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Is MCS not a concern for you guys? Everywhere I've seen that pays for exported energy has required MCS certification, which can't be retroactively applied, they tell me.

Report your local potholes, it actually works!

David Jenkins

posted on 30/7/22 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Is MCS not a concern for you guys? Everywhere I've seen that pays for exported energy has required MCS certification, which can't be retroactively applied, they tell me.

It's also a concern if you want to get storage batteries fitted (just going through that process ATM) - they wanted to see the certificate during the survey.

The older I get, the better I was...

russbost

posted on 30/7/22 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Doing my utmost to avoid MCS, I already have an old MCS installation from back in 2011, don't ask me how much they pay me per unit it's embarrassingly high!

This is a cheapy install for/with a friend who, along with myself has bought a load of Second Hand panels (should anyone want some I have access to more, tho' shipping is expensive unless ordering in quantity)

He has no intention of getting paid for sending power back to the grid as he will use nearly all himself except in the height of summer & if you want to go the battery route (which I've done myself in addition to the original 4kW array) then do it off grid, sending them power back simply doesn't pay sufficiently to make it worthwhile unless you can get on a V2G pilot scheme or similar. My last 2 months energy bills (gas & leccy - total) come to about 60 & a sizeable chunk of that is standing charge, I've used no gas as get all hot water heated for free & about the only electric we're using is oven/hob/microwave/kettle, & the EV charge which is 4 hours overnight at 5p/kW everything else is off grid

If you go the MCS route everything has to be new installed to the exact demands & by a MCS installer - in other words, jobs for the boys! You get charged best part of double for the same job.

A friend recently installed an 8kW grid tie, all brand new gear for around 5500 (he did installation himself), I'd guess around 10k thro' an MCS installer - even with prices going thro' the roof, the MCS install is gonna take a VERY long time to pay for itself, if ever

roadrunner

posted on 30/7/22 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
So if we're just looking at the basic 3.6kW Inverter & not exporting more than that, it's just a G98 application & a sparky sign off, is that it? & no charges?

If it's just a basic 3.6kw, then yes, they don't charge. But you still have to let them know.

russbost

posted on 30/7/22 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
quote:

If it's just a basic 3.6kw, then yes, they don't charge. But you still have to let them know.

& you install the system first & actually have it working & then notify with the G98, is that correct?

Is there also something about the inverter being G98 certified or something, I seem to remember reading that that was the case?

roadrunner

posted on 30/7/22 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
quote:

& you install the system first & actually have it working & then notify with the G98, is that correct?

Is there also something about the inverter being G98 certified or something, I seem to remember reading that that was the case?

If your fitting a sub 4kw then you can fit then notify.
I didn't know about notifying the DNO and fitted mine first. When I rang them they realised I had already fitted the panels and pushed my application through much quicker
As for the inverter I'm not sure. Can't remember having mine certified.

coyoteboy

posted on 31/7/22 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Doing my utmost to avoid MCS, I already have an old MCS installation from back in 2011, don't ask me how much they pay me per unit it's embarrassingly high!

This is a cheapy install for/with a friend who, along with myself has bought a load of Second Hand panels (should anyone want some I have access to more, tho' shipping is expensive unless ordering in quantity)

He has no intention of getting paid for sending power back to the grid as he will use nearly all himself except in the height of summer & if you want to go the battery route (which I've done myself in addition to the original 4kW array) then do it off grid, sending them power back simply doesn't pay sufficiently to make it worthwhile unless you can get on a V2G pilot scheme or similar. My last 2 months energy bills (gas & leccy - total) come to about 60 & a sizeable chunk of that is standing charge, I've used no gas as get all hot water heated for free & about the only electric we're using is oven/hob/microwave/kettle, & the EV charge which is 4 hours overnight at 5p/kW everything else is off grid

If you go the MCS route everything has to be new installed to the exact demands & by a MCS installer - in other words, jobs for the boys! You get charged best part of double for the same job.

A friend recently installed an 8kW grid tie, all brand new gear for around 5500 (he did installation himself), I'd guess around 10k thro' an MCS installer - even with prices going thro' the roof, the MCS install is gonna take a VERY long time to pay for itself, if ever

I have a very small installation designed to take the base load off my house (networking, CCTV, freezer) - just 400w installed, just about covers my average 50W baseload in summer. But I was considering installing a car port (for car love) and making the roof entirely panels which would be about 3-4Kw installed I think, and I didn't want to go down the route of MCS, but if I want to export, I've very little choice and it's not financially sound with MCS. This leaves me refusing to install a SMETS2 and relying on the oldschool wind up meter to turn backwards lol.

FWIW I think outgoing octopus pay upward of 30p/kwh in peak times, if you can generate it. I'd be tempted to install a battery setup and watch the outgoing prices and only export during those times, if I had the time to faff.

russbost

posted on 31/7/22 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
"FWIW I think outgoing octopus pay upward of 30p/kwh in peak times, if you can generate it. I'd be tempted to install a battery setup and watch the outgoing prices and only export during those times, if I had the time to faff."

I may be wrong, but have a feeling that that is only available on certain pilot schemes, I think normally Ocyopus nest rate of payback is 8p/kW. As regards faff, I think you'll find that you can control things automatically, but need some hardware installed to do so. Our Ohme EV charger will ONLY charge the car if leccy is below 6p/kW, in other words at my 5p for 4 hours night rate

coyoteboy

posted on 1/8/22 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
"FWIW I think outgoing octopus pay upward of 30p/kwh in peak times, if you can generate it. I'd be tempted to install a battery setup and watch the outgoing prices and only export during those times, if I had the time to faff."

I may be wrong, but have a feeling that that is only available on certain pilot schemes, I think normally Ocyopus nest rate of payback is 8p/kW. As regards faff, I think you'll find that you can control things automatically, but need some hardware installed to do so. Our Ohme EV charger will ONLY charge the car if leccy is below 6p/kW, in other words at my 5p for 4 hours night rate

Their tariff is called outgoing Agile - it seems to be available across the UK, and pays a pretty huge amount during peak hours (like pounds per unit). They do say they require MCS though.

You would indeed need to have a system that could monitor the rates and charge to battery until dumping to the grid was valuable enough to cover the cost of wear and tear on the battery stock.

[Edited on 1/8/22 by coyoteboy]

David Jenkins

posted on 1/8/22 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Their tariff is called outgoing Agile - it seems to be available across the UK, and pays a pretty huge amount during peak hours (like pounds per unit). They do say they require MCS though.

I made some enquiries about this, as I'm on Octopus Go (cheap rates in the wee hours, for charging my car). Unfortunately Go is still a bit 'experimental' and you can't have both Go and Agile Export at the moment (though they were trying out how to do it, and it will probably happen soon).

The older I get, the better I was...

hobbsy

posted on 3/8/22 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think not being able to have Go and agile outgoing at the same time is entirely intentional. There is (or at least was) an explanation for this on their website. Else you'd just buy using their off-peak and sell at peak using battery storage. I've. They won't let you have it both ways. You have to have agile incoming to have outgoing iirc, or at least you can't have Go.
coyoteboy

posted on 3/8/22 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
That's actually the business model of commercial energy storage facilities, and it's the route the companies are likely go in future when people get EVs hooked up more commonly. They probably just want to get a handle on the numbers and practicalities. If that wasn't the route they were going to take, there would be no benefit for customers hooking EVs up to two way ports and EV manufacturers would have no incentive to include duplex chargers, which they're looking into.

[Edited on 3/8/22 by coyoteboy]

hobbsy

posted on 3/8/22 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not saying it isn't a valid methodology it's just they don't want to give you a subsidised off peak rate then let you sell it back to them at a multiple.
coyoteboy

posted on 4/8/22 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I'm not saying it isn't a valid methodology it's just they don't want to give you a subsidised off peak rate then let you sell it back to them at a multiple.

You provide them a service by doing so, as I say, it's the future - I suspect it won't be long but I also suspect they'll drop the sky high export rates once it becomes common.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.