Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any driveway/groundwork experts
roadrunner

posted on 5/9/22 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Any driveway/groundwork experts

My mum has just had her driveway finished in resin.
Me and my brother (between us have over 60 years in the construction industry) have voiced our disgust at the quality of finish by the company.
It's been a cash job to save money but they have charged extra for fencing and a raised bedding area that she didn't need.
The resin is about 25/30mm thick and laid onto a tarmac base. They haven't used any bricks/coping stones around the perimeter at all, just butted up to what was there.
There was concrete below, and I'm not sure if they have dug that up and swapped for hardcore. Where the resin meets the pavement is extremely uneven and wonky as the old pavement tarmac crumbled against the gravel that was there previously.
My concerns are that the fencing and raised bedding which is fake sleeper timber will give causing cracking.
Any advice on how to tidy this up without replacing it all would be appreciated.
And yes, I do believe the company that did the job are Gypsies.
TIA
Brad

jacko

posted on 5/9/22 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Brad long time
It sounds like your mums money has gone and never to be seen again
Only time will tell if it’s going to claps or not
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pigeondave

posted on 5/9/22 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
How are you seeing the raised planter and fence causing cracking?
Is it due to the weight of the planter and the fence blowing in the wind?

I would say that you want to hope that they did such a half arsed job that the concrete is still there under the resin. If they've removed it and done a half arsed attempt at rolling in a new sub-base its going to move under the car wheels.

As for neatening it up I don't know. Maybe you could get the petrol cutter out and cut the junction between the tarmac and resin so that you could sink a line of block pavers in to form a straight edge. You're going to need something with a bit of width so that the crumbling line is straightened.

If you're worried about the fence posts causing cracking, maybe you could adjust the panels so that some of the wind passes through?

I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 6/9/22 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham, how's things.
Mum's money has definitely gone. Just wish I'd seen it coming.

Dave.
It's the lack of support that the planter and fence give.
Once the car is on the drive I'm expecting it to start moving and cracking.
As for the cutting in and fitting a brick edging. That was an idea running through my head.

Brad

nick205

posted on 6/9/22 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
House round the corner from me had a resin driveway installed a few wwks back. In comparison the dug the knackered tarmac and removed the crappy sub-base that was there (probably 8" in total). New hardcore sub-base down with one of those motorised whacker things. Then an edge pavoir bricks around the edges. Then approx. 2" of resin bonded driveway. Area left coned off for a couple of days before any pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Seems OK so far. No idea what they paid.

From what you describe, I might spend some time setting a line of pavoirs around the perimeter. Risk of disturbing the resin though and starting to lift/peel it up so may be best to leave it be.

Difficult one and I think we can all share the annoyance!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.