Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How close?
Shooter63

posted on 10/9/22 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
How close?

I've started an engine build for my classic mini ( A series Block 16V BMW head) and need your thoughts on something, how close do you think I can run an oil drain pipe to the exhaust manifold if I heat wrap the manifold and heat sleeve the oil drain pipe? The oil drain pipe is a rubber type hose.

Cheers

Shooter

snapper

posted on 10/9/22 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Good quality thick wall hose could be ok with the heat wrap you propose but if you can use steel, copper or aluminium for the pipe where it gets very close to the manifold it would mere durable

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Dingz

posted on 10/9/22 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming it is a standard nitrile (NBR) material it would be happy at 100C, much higher than that you’ll need HNBR if you can find it or Viton FKM ok for around 175C

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

obfripper

posted on 11/9/22 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Use some fkm lined silicone hose, the silicone will have 220-300°c operating max temp (price/manufacturer dependent), with the lining having the oil resistance and a decent temperature range as well.
If you think the radiant temps will be higher, then you can sleeve the pipe with aluminium/fibreglass composite sleeving which combined should be good for 500-600°c.

Dave

coyoteboy

posted on 12/9/22 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'd switch to a steel section where it's close.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 12/9/22 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
The oil supply line to the Hayabusa engine cam tensioner on my transverse installation runs 2" away from one of the headers. It's the original thick wall (heavily plasticised) rubber tubing, probably something exotic. Has been quite happy so far, race use, but the next time I take it off I'm going to sheath it in aluminium/fibreglass for my own comfort.
Shooter63

posted on 12/9/22 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the answers, at the moment the manifold is around 25mm from the hose I was hoping to reduce this to around 12mm , solid ones are a no no as I simply can't get the turn in.

Shooter

coyoteboy

posted on 13/9/22 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
Thanks for the answers, at the moment the manifold is around 25mm from the hose I was hoping to reduce this to around 12mm , solid ones are a no no as I simply can't get the turn in.

Shooter

Intuitengineer in me says that's too close. But 1 or 2 layers of alu heat shielding between might solve that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.